Question? Medication...

Old 02-27-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question? Medication...

So I sort of need some advice...I don't really know. A family member has been an alcoholic for the past 5 years. I can't count how many times she said she was going to quit. Would go 3 days, 1 week etc. without drinking. Then just start all over again. A few months ago she started taking some medication that she said would help. I didn't believe it would do anything....but she has maybe gotten drunk 8-10 times within the past few months. That is nothing compared to every night. She actually will pour just one glass of wine and not pour another when she finishes. I am having a hard time trusting her and forming any type of relationship. I just know that this won't last long and she will start drinking again. Any advice? Do you know anybody who has taken medication and it has helped/worked?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Many have taken medication. Unless they are truly working recovery every single day with the medication, it won't work. They find a way to manipulate it.

Sorry....
Old 02-27-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There are a few medications out there for alcoholism, but they are designed to stop the cravings, or to make you sick if you do drink on them.
Many can go through "moderation" periods where they think they've got it under control, but that will only be for a short time before it all goes back to the madness.