Ptsd?

Old 02-22-2017, 02:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ptsd?

Just wondering how common/uncommon it is for F/F of an A to be diagnosed with PSTD?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/addicti...ow-about-ptsd/
Old 02-22-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think a lot depends on what happened--whether there was abuse or not. People throw around psychiatric terms pretty loosely these days. Not everyone who has narcissistic traits is diagnosable with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Not everyone who's compulsive and obsessive in some areas suffers from OCD.

PTSD is a pretty serious condition. I think a lot of people suffer from distressing aftereffects of living with alcoholism without actually being diagnosable with PTSD. That condition is more likely to occur, I think, where there is serious physical or emotional abuse (beyond just being treated badly).

I think most of us suffer from blows to our self-esteem, and some go-to emotional responses that are unhelpful, but that's different from having PTSD. Which isn't to say therapy can't help--therapy can be helpful for just about any kind of life problem.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Here's the diagnostic criteria from DSM 5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual--the standard for diagnosing mental disorders):

Criterion A (one required): The person was exposed to: death, threatened death, actual or threatened serious injury, or actual or threatened sexual violence, in the following way(s):
Direct exposure
Witnessing the trauma
Learning that a relative or close friend was exposed to a trauma
Indirect exposure to aversive details of the trauma, usually in the course of professional duties (e.g., first responders, medics)
Criterion B (one required): The traumatic event is persistently re-experienced, in the following way(s):
Intrusive thoughts
Nightmares
Flashbacks
Emotional distress after exposure to traumatic reminders
Physical reactivity after exposure to traumatic reminders
Criterion C (one required): Avoidance of trauma-related stimuli after the trauma, in the following way(s):
Trauma-related thoughts or feelings
Trauma-related reminders
Criterion D (two required): Negative thoughts or feelings that began or worsened after the trauma, in the following way(s):
Inability to recall key features of the trauma
Overly negative thoughts and assumptions about oneself or the world
Exaggerated blame of self or others for causing the trauma
Negative affect
Decreased interest in activities
Feeling isolated
Difficulty experiencing positive affect
Criterion E (two required): Trauma-related arousal and reactivity that began or worsened after the trauma, in the following way(s):
Irritability or aggression
Risky or destructive behavior
Hypervigilance
Heightened startle reaction
Difficulty concentrating
Difficulty sleeping
Criterion F (required): Symptoms last for more than 1 month.
Criterion G (required): Symptoms create distress or functional impairment (e.g., social, occupational).
Criterion H (required): Symptoms are not due to medication, substance use, or other illness.
Two specifications:
Dissociative Specification. In addition to meeting criteria for diagnosis, an individual experiences high levels of either of the following in reaction to trauma-related stimuli:
Depersonalization. Experience of being an outside observer of or detached from oneself (e.g., feeling as if "this is not happening to me" or one were in a dream).
Derealization. Experience of unreality, distance, or distortion (e.g., "things are not real").
Delayed Specification. Full diagnostic criteria are not met until at least six months after the trauma(s), although onset of symptoms may occur immediately.
So it's pretty specific in terms of what has to have happened, and how the symptoms are manifested, for it to be true PTSD.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with PTSD - by a trauma expert therapist I saw - so I accept that labeling of my particular story. I meet the above diagnostic criteria. It is primarily related to childhood abuse experiences, then some experiences in adulthood which re-triggered or re-accessed that particular trauma.

I think the triggering part is a big aspect of PTSD - that a gesture, a smell, a sexual experience or a dream can take you right back there, including the physical sensations of fear & panic or disassociation.

I think a bad relationship could certainly "link" traumas inside you. Particularly if you had original abuse by an alcoholic as a child. Smells of alcohol could bring up disproportionate fear & upset.

I've learned to question my emotional experience & ask - are you feeling this about now or is this a compound emotion mixed with a past hurt?

I find that inquiry very helpful.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Very good point. Later events can trigger PTSD from earlier trauma.

One of my victims who suffered horrific repeated burns with a hot object (her abuser used to burn her on a regular basis) could not tolerate the smell of cooking food because it reminded her of the smell of her flesh burning. Years later, she is still being treated for PTSD, and she gets terribly frustrated because she keeps thinking she should be OVER it already.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

technically most of us suffer some type of Post Traumatic Stress connected with an event.....car wreck, even a NEAR car wreck, encountering a rodent in your home, losing a loved one suddenly, having a sick loved one who does NOT have a fatal illness.......and i think a lot of folks tend to think that any negative, unpleasant reaction to an event MUST be a sign of PTSD!

it actually goes back to Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs...when the threat to our ACTUAL safety and existence is threatened. versus having a rough go of things.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The very best treatment I have healed from in dealing with my PTSD has been my Emotional Support Animal (a version of service dog). I got a very special & extraordinary puppy two years ago specifically to develop him to therapeutic support for my PTSD. It has been one of the most effective & healing choices I've ever made.

My support pup is worth a zillion psych-meds!!

He watches over me while I sleep, leaning his body heavily against my back so I know he's there. I sleep through the night for the first period I can remember.

He's really sensitive to me. Great companion! Great intervention!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was just trying to post a photo of my ESA pup, but it's not working. There are many photos of him on my home page here in the albums. Not sure how to post that link...

Photos of him likely identify me to folks in New Orleans, since he's pretty much always with me. Oh, well. I'm me.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

Before he retired 2 years ago, I saw my psychiatrist every month for 30+ minutes for 7 years. He knew me very, very well. I am bipolar and have General Anxiety Disorder. About 5 years in, he also diagnosed me with Complex PTSD due to me trying to deal with "R"AH's . . . crap . . . for years. I meet all of the DSM5's diagnostic criteria.

I found this article today and just wondered how common this is.

4. There is another form of PTSD called Complex PTSD.

"Complex PTSD (C-PTSD) is one form of PTSD is fairly prevalent in those with substance abuse issues and whose defining characteristics include chronic, repetitive and occasionally multifaceted traumas overwhelming the psycho-emotional coping capabilities of the patient. People with C-PTSD have experienced long-term exposure to insecurity or danger, in terms of interpersonal relationships and the intrapersonal sense of self, which leaves the individual with the perception that escape is not possible.

In short, C-PTSD patients rely too much on emotion-based coping position, while traditional PTSD patients exhibit an avoidance-based coping position. Both complex and traditional cases are at odds with each other, to say the least, and require drastically different treatment approaches."
Old 02-23-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have been diagnosed with PTSD and General Anxiety Disorder.

I am getting ready to prepare to do EMDR therapy. This May is the time frame, getting ready to start preparing for it in the next week or so because there is some work to do before you actually do it.

How it was explained to me is that when we have trauma, our brain files that in a file under trauma. So now, when we experience things similar, even by being in a similar location, or speak to the person who gave us that trauma, our brain automatically files everything related in the trauma folder as well. EMDR will actually change how the memory itself comes into your brain by basically putting it in a folder that is not traumatic.

I am very excited to explore this therapy as I have to deal with my XAH on a regular basis b/c we have children together. If I can get to where just basic communication with him does not cause me panic attacks, that would be really, really good.

My daughter will also be getting this therapy as well this summer.

Heartcore....I just recently got a puppy back in November. I already had a dog and two cats, this is really my daughter's puppy, however, he is one special little guy and has truly helped me so much!