SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   What a difference a few years makes! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/404587-what-difference-few-years-makes.html)

jessiec 02-09-2017 04:30 PM

What a difference a few years makes!

About five or so years ago, I was in turmoil over my ABF. I came here and you all helped me a lot -- even if I didn't like what you told me!

I just want to report that he is more than 4.5 years sober, in meetings, on committees and sponsoring others. He gave up drinking when I left him. God did a mighty work in him, and we are still together, and truly happier than ever.

I want to thank you for the tough love and the difficult words -- your honesty stuck with me , and made me stronger. And that, in turn, helped him. Had I stayed with him, accepting his drunk enough ways, we would both be in a desperate place. He probably would be dead. His cousin (it's a big family illness) who is 10 years younger died from a fall when he was drunk last August.

Thank you for listening and for loving!

Poppy79 02-09-2017 04:43 PM

That is awesome :) massive congrats to you and your partner. 4.5 years is amazing!

sauerkraut 02-09-2017 09:20 PM

It's so nice to hear about a happy outcome. Thank you so much for coming back to share.

honeypig 02-09-2017 10:53 PM

I'm glad you took the time to come back and post, jessie. I don't hear very many stories like yours around here and it's nice to hear one, for a change!

I hope you both remain healthy for many years to come!

FeelingGreat 02-10-2017 01:33 AM

So good to hear about a happy outcome. Sometimes it takes drastic action before an A will commit to sobriety.

firebolt 02-10-2017 08:21 AM

Love LOVE to hear that 2 people got healthy, and happy together!!

Maudcat 02-10-2017 11:25 AM

What a great post. Thank you.

enfinthechange 02-10-2017 11:30 AM

Thanks you for sharing this happy story!

jessiec 02-11-2017 10:59 AM

Thank you! If you had told me then that this is how things could really be, I wouldn't have believed it.

My BF was a hardcore -- and stubborn -- daily drinker from a family of the same. And I had never dealt with alcoholism; I was from a sober family and had no idea what the disease looked like. It took me forever to understand what I was up against and why he couldn't just cut back, and why he was nice sometimes but a jerk at others.

I feared he really would never get out of it. He had let me down for the last time, and I was gone.

A week later, he was so embarrassed about who he had become, started attending meetings, met a great sponsor (this was key -- it was a guy like him who was still cool and fun without booze!) and changed his life.

Today he's at an AA conference! How times have definitely changed!