Friday night OVI

Old 02-05-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Friday night OVI

my AH drives drunk frequently. I have tried taking the car keys away, driving him everywhere, hiding them when he is drunk, making him have to ask for them when he wants to go somewhere, it just results in anger and a toxic homelife. Al anon says give it to a higher power, detach, let him be responsible for his actions. So, since Dec. I have tried. I am attending Al-anon 3-4 nights a week. One week I made it to 5 meetings. He drinks... I find a meeting and DS heads to his friends house. It leaves him home alone without a car. AH is lonely and at least our house is not a chaotic warzone.
This past Fri. AH volunteered to drive 5 teammates of my sons on a 5-6 hour roundtrip drive to a wrestling match in Columbus OH. (OSU vs. Penn St). I put my foot down and said no way. My son agreed, my AH said he understood and was fine not going. But I am stuck being the chauffeur for the boys. So What does AH do? He gets an OVI here at home. Not 2 min. From our house. While we are gone. I get a call on my way home with my son and 4 of his friends in the car.

Finding it hard to find the positive.
No one got hurt.
The car isnt damaged.
He has been hiding in his room since it happened.

Guess that will have to do for now.
Court date is Wed.

Do I think this will be rock bottom? No, as he just came downstairs for the first time all day. His two questions? Can I watch the superbowl with you? And did DS wrestle yesterday? I answered no to superbowl and would not answer the second question.

For those of you who think I should have left him in jail... My thoughts were I would rather him have to undergo strip search and booking sober rather than black out the memory of it. I am sure he will have mandatory 3 day jail time. Hoping for more. I need a break from him.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The question is not whether this will be his rock bottom, but whether it will be yours.

You're finding it hard to find the positive because there isn't one.

I'm very glad no one got hurt this time. I am especially glad you put your foot down so your son and his friends were not in the car with him.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Bitingthebullet, you may well have saved lives by putting your foot down.

I hope you have found Alanon to be a support.

Please keep doing the next right thing.