God's will, not mine

Old 02-03-2017, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

God's will, not mine

Happy weekend, everyone.

So, I took my second attempt at my licensing exam the other day.

I failed. I missed it by 5 questions.

I was despondent. I knew I'd be out of a job. I was worried about healthcare since I hadn't scheduled my mammogram or gotten my dental visit in yet.
But, beyond all that, I was pissed off. I felt I studied hard. I worked the program as they insisted I do. I put the effort in and I made sure I managed my stress levels well until the last few days (I was a mess the day or so beforehand).

Anyway, on the way home I called my bf and he just kept saying how sorry he was and how surprised he was since he saw how hard I was trying, etc.

I get home and I'm truly in a crappy mood already planning who I can send my resume to, etc. and I get a call from my corporate trainer. She was my leader and encourager for the past month. I asked her, "So, where do I send the computer to?" She said, "Hey, no so fast....... I have something to share with you...."

She told me that I was granted a third chance! WTF?? What company does that? I was being given a third chance to pass this god awful miserable test, lol??? Oh crap, damn....I was just thinking that maybe I needed to find another path and now the path just took down it's detour signs. UGH! She told me that they only granted 10 other people this option through the past year and she said it's obvious the company wants me and is willing to invest in me. No kidding! I cried on the phone with her. I was truly humbled.

So, now I'm on my own with a study program. I make my own schedule, I am not required to check in weekly or participate in conference calls, etc. I just need to pass and I need to figure out how to do that in the next month!

God's will and not mine is what I go back to every time. I literally had resigned myself to finding a new career path and to finding a new life for myself. But, now I'm back to studying this damn series 7 stuff all over again. UGH.......such a drag, but better than being unemployed looking for healthcare insurance, too, right? I am so grateful....I have no words. My bf just keep walking around last night, shaking his head in disbelief as he had never see anyone get a third shot at taking the test. I'm turning this all over to God, to my HP, because I honestly have no idea how I got here! Life is funny!
Old 02-04-2017, 01:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As long as you keep that attitude, lizatola, I don't see how anything that happens could be considered a failure! I'm really impressed w/your ability to keep turning things over to the Powers That Be, even though your own mind is screaming "Panic! It's all going to fall apart!"

Great big hugs, and best wishes for passing the test this time. Like they say---

Old 02-04-2017, 02:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

JFK, Jr., failed the bar exam the first two times he took it.

Are these multiple choice questions? Maybe a little practice and study on test-taking skills would help. I always do FAR better on standardized tests than my in-depth knowledge would suggest is warranted. I'm just a good test-taker, able to narrow the options and make reasonable guesses where I'm unsure of the answer. Not that you shouldn't study the materials--I'm just wondering whether the test itself is causing the problem, rather than insufficient studying.

Hang in there!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I always do FAR better on standardized tests than my in-depth knowledge would suggest is warranted. I'm just a good test-taker, able to narrow the options and make reasonable guesses where I'm unsure of the answer.
I am the same way, Lexie--if I had to come up with the answer, writing it out in full from the info in my head, rather than just choosing the answer from a list, I would not fare so well as I generally do...

Liz, maybe it really is just a matter of reading more carefully, or on the other hand, a matter of not over-thinking, rather than a matter of not knowing the material.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Keep trying. Do you know what they call the person who finishes last in medical school? Uh huh, Doctor.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Liz....Many people, that I have known, taking their medical boards, actually move out of the family home...to be alone for the few weeks leading up to the actual
exam...and, I have known people who have done t he same thing before their bar exams. The theory being, that an environment that is free of the usual daily stresses and other responsibilities (as much as possible), allows much better focus when studying....

Just a thought....
Old 02-04-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I second the other suggestions up above. In addition, I found for myself that taking practice tests ad nauseum, with the same time constraints, was the key to doing well. The first time I took my GREs, I did horribly (It didn't help that my newborn son was in his colicky stage). And believe me I studied! The second time, I just made it a habit to take some version of the practice test day in and day out. If anything else, it changed what had been an anxiety ridden event into a daily chore that had to be done and over with. My score jumped significantly the second time around.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Liz....one more thought....I believe that you meditate...yes?
This could be valuable for your brain, while studying....the less stressed, the more the brain can retain....
Also, I discovered in my studying for national boards (every 6yrs,) that it is possible to study too hard! In the sense of "cramming". I learned this by my own experience.
The brain has to convert the short term memory (of what you just studied) into the long term memory of the brain. After about 2hours, this ability is decreased.
Best to study no more than 2 hours...then give the brain a break. do something else...a short nap or meditate...then do a review of what you just studied...that increases the long term memory of the material. It really works.
Another thing...save your more difficult material for the early morning hours. A fresh brain is the best tool you can have.....

***Like puzzled Heart, I found that taking the practice tests ad nauseam was a big help, also....
Old 02-04-2017, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I second not over-thinking also although I know that's a vague thing to say. I'm also a good (and lucky) test taker. Preparing for the CPA exams, all that studying was mind-numbingly boring and discouraging. But when I got to the actual exams, with the time constraint, I was able to make choices as to which questions would take too long to work with so I just guessed and quickly moved on, and which questions were worth spending some time to figure out. I passed them with a good deal of luck as on one of them I got the minimum passing score (thank you Lord!!).

I also second practice, practice, practice. The best advice I got was to keep working the practice questions, over and over and over. Things that I didn't understand, I wrote down and kept writing them in my own words until I had at least some understanding.

And yes, God's will, that you give up this situation to God - totally agree.

Keep going! It's clear your company wants you very badly and that means a lot. It means wayyyy more than the test, IMO. The CPA exam means next to nothing in whether or not someone is a good accountant.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow! God is in control and he just wants to remind you that He is! :-)
Old 02-04-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Liz,
God has a plan, let him lead the way.

I am so happy that they feel you are worth another chance. Hang in there my friend. This time will be the one!!
Old 02-04-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lizatola, this sure has made a great story. Reading your post was like reading a classic short story with a surprise ending.

Big hug and I'm your sister in the "Your will be done." department. It has helped me make peace with many a life catastrophe.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

So happy for you Liz - 3rd time is the charm!

Sorry you have to go through the test again - but I just know this time you will pass, and your company seems to know that as well too!
Old 02-05-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You guys, you have no idea how grateful I am today.
Not only do I get this third chance....but last night I was so blessed. My bf threw me a surprise party with my friends. It was supposed to be to congratulate me for passing, but they turned it into a rally party, lol.

They said he had been planning it for weeks and that he was so nervous about pulling it off. He's a keeper, it's just taken me a while to figure that out, lol. Well, actually I always knew he was a keeper, I just had to figure out if he was right for me.
I feel so blessed and loved to have been surrounded by my friends. He knew I had pretty much holed myself up for the past 2 months studying and he knew I hadn't had much girlfriend time. Such a wonderful experience and I can't even express how much gratitude I have right now!