Interesting analogy about a narcissist

Old 04-04-2020, 04:47 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
A sober person might call a friend or family member if they are feeling down. An alcoholic might make a run to the liquor store, a narcissist might find a way to tap some energy from someone else.
Well said.

These days, I tend to want to be far, far away from the one who I let (ouch! ) sap my energy.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:38 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I've found "writing therapy" to be helpful.

When I return to my "journal" later and read what I've written, it sometimes helps to provide the ultimate "aha moment." I do not keep a "traditional journal" on paper but instead keep my entries tucked away in email drafts... Yes - I am just that concerned about my privacy being invaded. Privacy is precious.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
For me, when I came to terms with the fact that my ex was more than an alcoholic, likely also a narcissist, it granted me a powerful freedom. See, alcoholism is recoverable, but narcissism (at least in this moment in history) is not. The innate nature of narcissism means that there is no potential for insight, there is no appropriate medication or behavioral therapy, the problem cannot even be visited by the one inside it. So, I was free to go. Because there was nothing to wait hopefully for...
Powerful and gives hope.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. I'd also recommend for families, or anyone, watching the "Chronic Hope" podcast on facebook (Petersen Family Counseling) or read Kevin Petersen's book with the same title.

Old 09-16-2020, 08:50 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Because of my recent experience, I watched quite a few videos about narcissism in the past few weeks (binge-watched), and it is seriously scary stuff. Every codependent, every person with codependent tendencies should be aware. These are human boa constrictors who need a constant supply of whatever you have to offer. Then there is the "love bombing phase," and there is this excruciating niceness, but you are feeling as if something is holding you, like a hug, but not a hug that would make you relax. It is more like a squeeze. And as you are pulling away, the niceness increases, but it is a forceful niceness . . . Gollum-like niceness. I also caught the first stalking attempt on Instagram a week ago after going no contact. At least it is all clear now. I would say that her persistence was in the same line with my EX's. That's probably the reason why I felt that pain in the back. My adrenal glands were going nuts again. Just scary stuff.