TGIF! How are you showing yourself some love this weekend?

Old 01-13-2017, 07:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink TGIF! How are you showing yourself some love this weekend?

Happy Weekend Folks!

It's been a while since we've had a thread about self-care...... what are you doing for yourselves these days to make sure you're not trying to "pour from an empty cup"?

Old 01-13-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My oldest friend in the world is visiting for an overnight tomorrow and my husband will be in rehearsal all day so we are watching Grease 2 and catching up!

Also, the Kid's show my husband wrote for our theatre company is opening on Sunday, and we are attending with my oldest friend, her husband, and their 9-year-old daughter.

Then I have Monday off of work! We are doing a Whole30 right now so I am feeling good, sleeping well, and more able to stay present in each moment then when I am bogged down with a lot of bread and sugar. I'm feeling good and relishing it!

I hope everyone has an awesome weekend!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My niece is figure skating in the State Games, so the whole fam is going to watch her. I can't get enough of my family lately - we're coming upon a year of losing dad, and they are a real comfort. They get it - they hurt too, and it's just really really good to be together. Have a great weekend all!!

OOH - Sparkle Kitty - I did the Whole30 in November and I felt so great I'm about to start it again! Good job!!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Perfect timing - I absolutely tried to pour from an empty cup this week and it resulted in me crying my eyes out. The good news is that I felt much better after a good cry sometimes those are needed! (And it was a wake up call that I need to "build up my reserves" !!!)

I have a girls weekend planned with some of my nearest & dearest - lots of yummy meals in my future and hopefully not too much snow! And then recharging on Monday, which I thankfully also have off!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Divorce petition filed this morning (yay!). No DDs this weekend--they are staying with their dad. DS will be with me tonight, and we will be working on his requested "Sith lord cloak." He'll go to STBXAH's tomorrow, and I will probably just relax and work on some sewing projects for the remainder of the weekend.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great stuff you guys..... I forgot it was a 3-day weekend here in the states, woohoo!

I scheduled myself & DD for acupuncture early tomorrow morning, before her meditation class.

Today I am going in for an 60-min reflexology foot/leg massage right after work.

I started this morning with some new yoga sequences; deeper, detoxifying twists & more balance & core strength work.

eta: also planning NEXT weekend because I have back-to-back nights out planned - Friday with my girlfriends & Saturday with RAH.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As I reported in another post, I had two grueling days of work Wednesday and Thursday, but I have the luxury of kicking back for 3 whole days!! (Traveling on business on Sunday, but I love traveling, so it's not "work").

I'm going to get my hair cut, just putter, read, go to Al-Anon, meditate, and declutter.

DD gave me a $100 gift certificate for a facial for Christmas!!! I'm excited to use it, but will probably wait until next weekend.

On a side note: DD expressed to me that she felt I wasn't that excited about the facial when I originally opened the gift. I felt bad about that, but it's true that I very rarely do those indulgent spa treatments. I've never had a pedicure or a manicure. I've only had a massage when someone gave me one as a gift (twice in my life). It made me wonder why I resist these "extreme self-care" types of things. Part of my "Class of 2017" coursework (thank you, Westexy!) going forward is going to be treating myself more often to what I consider "indulgent" self-care.

On another side note: The same DD (I LOVE this girl!) has invited me to go with her on a long weekend to Costa Rica!! Old me (I'd feel guilty leaving AH). New me (How soon can we get a flight????)
Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoloMio View Post
It made me wonder why I resist these "extreme self-care" types of things. Part of my "Class of 2017" coursework going forward is going to be treating myself more often to what I consider "indulgent" self-care.
I totally get this - I struggled VERY hard with self-care not being selfish, self-indulgent laziness & a waste of gobs of cash.

For me I found it was rooted in my FOO belief system - I was raised in an environment that raised an eyebrow toward others who were so sinfully wasteful & thought so highly of themselves.

The resonant theme would be, "who does she think she is, all high & mighty & pampered?? Must be nice!" The underlying message - I don't deserve/am not worth this. It was impossible to indulge in what I judged others so harshly for, which also included simply taking TIME for themselves - it wasn't always centered around the cost of something.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am actually having a all about ME, ME, ME myself and I weekend!! Tonight I am going shopping and out to dinner with one of my best friends. Tomorrow is mani/pedi day and then out to dinner with a fun group of people. Sunday is PJ all day day! and since we may get some snow, lots of Netflix and movies!!! And having Monday off makes it a nice 3 day long ME weekend.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sunday I have a counseling appointment. Excited about it, oddly enough. I always gain more mental momentum during my visits and I am so grateful she offers weekend appointments. I am trying to write a list of topics to discuss so I don't lose track. Happy Friday all!
Old 01-13-2017, 09:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I am going out with my daughters to our favorite Tex-Mex place. So yummy and it is surprisingly affordable, even more so now that I have stopped self-medicating with alcohol! Then it's off to the eye shop to pick out new glasses for me and one of the kids - the other doesn't need glasses, lucky her. I've been bumbling around for weeks without glasses and it's time to fix that!

Had my good cry when I watched Biden get the Medal of Freedom, so that's done!

Also going to include some gym time, and in-shower exfoliate treatments on the gym's water bill. May as well get my money's worth from my membership! Have a great weekend all!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I bought myself two new candles and a collagen eye mask. Going to spoil myself tonight
Old 01-13-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh and I'm going to al-anon tomorrow AND Sunday!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dinner with girlfriends & family time. Happy Friday, all!
Old 01-13-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

This is the second year that MLK Day is a "major holiday" at my government workplace. Prior to that it was a "minor holiday," so you could come to work and bank 8 hours of time off to use at a later date. So, I always came and worked to earn 8 additional hours. But I'm glad I'll have Monday off. My girls are off, but they will be down with their dad. DS has school, and my gentleman friend's daughter is off school so it will just be the two of us that day. I may take her to her beloved Panera for her favorite broccoli cheddar soup. Side note: I have tested more than one "copycat" Panera broccoli cheddar soup recipes for her. This one is taste tested and approved by my gentleman friend's daughter.Copycat Panera® Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Old 01-13-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had a Thai massage today, a bargain thru Groupon. I was a little leery about it, since I've had one only once before and that was just over 2 years ago, a few weeks after filing for divorce from XAH. That one was intense on so many levels and I was absolutely overwhelmed, major emotional release, shivering, crying, hardly able to walk afterwards. I had no desire to do it again at that point.

Today's was also intense but in a manageable way. Only once did I have to say "need to back off, that hurts too much." Left me feeling emptied, but again, in a good way--empty in order for new things to have space to take root and grow. I plan to buy a multi-massage package from this guy, as I think it's part of the path ahead for me.

Tomorrow I volunteer at the local Alanon office from 9 to noon. Usually it's pretty quiet, so I will either take my spinning wheel or crochet hook along and have some time to myself.

For tonight? Going to get a nice night's sleep--turning off the alarms, drawing all the blinds and curtains, then settling in w/"Blue Highways", one of my favorite books, and my houndies.

Thanks for starting this thread, FireSprite! Wishing all of you a lovely, lovely weekend.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Watch the Patriots win and then the Packers.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Florida Basketball...going to both men's and ladies
Old 01-13-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I may get to a saturday am Al-Anon meeting that I like. Then the gym. Saw the mama today and did some food shopping for her, so she's all set!! Got several books from the library by authors I like: Randy wayne white, jayne ann krentz, and susan Elizabeth Phillips, so serious reading ahead.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

DS and I will be packing up the rest of our stuff from our one bedroom apartment. Last year, I was able to save up enough to put down on a condo and everything closed and recorded at the beginning of the year! DS and I will EACH finally have our own room + a spare! We've been moving a car load or two each night after work/school so we've been living in our new place for a week.

After trying to heft some of the 'smaller' furniture pieces with only a 12yo boy for help, I decided to splurge and movers will be taking the big things and our multitude of boxes of books next week. (Seriously, how did we manage to cram this much stuff in a one-bedroom apartment? And I think my bookcases have an undetectable extension spell on them, because the number of books we boxed up really should not have fit on the shelves...)

The fun part of the weekend will be seeing a silent film double feature on Saturday where the Anchorage Symphony Orchestra will be playing the scores for: Charlie Chaplin's "The Kid" and "The Idle Class". DS loved Charlie Chaplin's "City Lights", so this should be a great evening!