New here - Looking for guidance

Old 01-23-2017, 10:03 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Nobody wants to be micromanaged. It's all about CONTROL.

Here's what enforcing a boundary looks like: Your boundary is crossed, you take whatever action you've decided, in advance, you are going to take. You don't point out that the boundary has been crossed, argue when the other person denies it has been crossed, and then let the other person blame you for his crossing of the boundary.

As Yoda would say, "Do, or do not."

Oh, and he's not "lying"--he's giving you "alternative facts."
Old 01-26-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Just a little update, al-anon has been helping. I'm doing pretty good about minding my own business and not acknowledging his drinking, I'm doing more for myself without worrying about what he's going to think.

Right now, I'm content. Not happy, not miserable. I know for certain I don't want to live in mediocrity, so I'm planning (quietly) for my next step if he continues to be an active alcoholic. I'm going to look at a few vintage campers next week, which is actually kinda fun.

I know it sounds crazy, but when I leave him, I want something that's mine, something that no one can take away from me, and something that I don't have to worry about having someone's permission to bring my animals to. It's a small freedom, but it would be mine and mine alone. Plus, if things got miserable, I could just pack up and find somewhere new to live. My parents support this idea (because they get to use it while I'm still living at AH's house).

I'm getting kinda excited about a new chapter of my life, so I thought I'd share.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Just keep in mind that, depending on the law in your state, there's a good likelihood that anything acquired during the marriage will be subject to equitable distribution in a divorce. Even if you buy it for yourself with your "own" money.

Might not be a bad idea to consult a divorce lawyer just to get a sense of how you would be likely to make out if things take that turn. It doesn't commit you to anything, but at least you'd have an idea where you would stand.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:10 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

I work for a divorce attorney. It will be titled and financed in my dad's name. I will be making the payments to him out of my "emergency fund". So "technically", it wouldn't be mine.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'm guessing it would still be considered marital property under those circumstances (again, depends on the law). I'd ask your boss about it.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:56 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I want a billard table when I move to my new place. I will know which one I want to buy but I won't buy anything major until the divorce is finalized.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

I know it sounds crazy, but when I leave him, I want something that's mine, something that no one can take away from me, and something that I don't have to worry about having someone's permission to bring my animals to.
Doesn't sound crazy at all - sounds AMAZING!! I always thought joining https://www.sistersonthefly.com/ would be awesome!
Old 01-26-2017, 10:12 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
Doesn't sound crazy at all - sounds AMAZING!! I always thought joining https://www.sistersonthefly.com/ would be awesome!
Thank you for posting that link! They have some really cute trailers for sale on there!!!
Old 01-26-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Yeah, those ladies camp and fish together - from all walks of life with a common theme that gives them an ounce of peace...sorta like here
Old 01-26-2017, 01:54 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

That sounds amazing!