Melody Beattie Daily Reader

Old 01-12-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

So funny that the subject of letting go of what's heavy is a recent topic in here. I bought the DesireMap Daily Planner from Danielle LaPorte (I'm a sucker for goal planning that's focused on how to feel) and "Lighter" was one of my "core desired feelings."

Sorry if that sounds super woo-woo. But man. The universe has been shoving that word down my throat a lot these days.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anchored View Post
Sorry if that sounds super woo-woo. But man. The universe has been shoving that word down my throat a lot these days.
Anchored, since I've started to get below the surface of my recovery, I've had a lot of "woo woo" experiences myself (ask FireSprite...!). A lot of what I thought was "real" turned out to be illusion, and a lot of things I considered "woo woo" turned out to have more substance than the "real things." I get it. So do a lot of others here.

If "lighter" has been coming up in your life a lot lately, I daresay it's for a good reason!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
(ask FireSprite...!)
aka - The Queen of WooWoo.....

I lead a very alternative recovery & I'm not at all shy about it. When the woo shows up in my life, I've learned to pay attention because it always means something.

I consider it my HP talking to me on a level that I'll see/pay attention to/ understand. Signs are everywhere in our paths if we simply open our eyes & ears a little wider & step outside the box in our thought processes a bit to recognize them, IMO. I think people often discount what they experience because it didn't arrive in the packaging they expected.

You are in great company here Anchored, welcome!
Old 01-12-2017, 01:15 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Honeypig, I LOVE that. Yes, I agree, there's probably a message for me in it.

FireSprite, I'd love to learn more about your alternative recovery sometime.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:24 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Any time - you can pm me or look through my very long posting history, lol.

I am now 5yrs into this process but in the beginning I was a shaky, adrenalized mess of emotions - all over the place.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...covery-me.html
Old 01-13-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

January 13, 2017

You are reading from "The Meditation Room" of Melody Beattie's website here: Daily Meditations Archives - Melody Beattie

Releasing

Let fears slip away.

Release any negative, limiting, or self-defeating beliefs buried in your subconscious too. These beliefs may be about life, love, or yourself. Beliefs create reality.

Let go. From as deep within as your fears, resentments, and negative beliefs are stored, let them all go. Let the belief or feeling surface. Accept it; surrender to it. Feel the discomfort or unrest. Then let it go. Let new beliefs replace the old. Let peace and joy and love replace fear.

Give yourself and your body permission to let go of fears, resentments, and negative beliefs. Release that which is no longer useful. Trust that you are being healed and prepared for receiving what is good.

Today, God, help me become willing to let go of old beliefs and feelings that may be hurting me. Gently take them from me and replace them with new beliefs and feelings. I do deserve the best life and love have to offer. Help me believe that.

From the book "The Language of Letting Go: Hazelden Meditation Series."

Old 01-14-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

January 14, 2017

You are reading from "The Meditation Room" of Melody Beattie's website here: Daily Meditations Archives - Melody Beattie

Let Go of What Others Think

We had gone for a walk in the snow down into the bowl of Bryce Canyon in Utah earlier that day. After a quick shower in the hotel room, we headed down to the restaurant for dinner. Our boots were soaked from the snow, so we wore our flip-flops to the restaurant.

The hostess was the first to notice. “Hey, you’ve got the wrong shoes on!” she admonished. “There’s snow outside!”

“Yeah, I know. We’re from California,” Chip replied.

“Humph,” the hostess sniffed, as she showed us our table.

When our server approached our table, the hostess was right there again, quick to point out our inappropriate footwear to him. We tried to explain that we had been hiking and our boots were wet, but it only set her off more.

“I certainly hope you didn’t wear those,” she said. “There’s snow on the trails.” Then she trotted back to her station.

Our server didn’t care. He listened to the story about our hike, told us one of his own, and kept our glasses full.

Later during the meal, the hostess guided another couple past our table and pointed at our feet. “Look at these people,” she said. “They’re from California and they’re wearing the wrong shoes!”

We giggled all through dinner that night, all because our hiking boots got soaked.

Sometimes what’s appropriate for a situation just doesn’t work for you and you’re forced to improvise. Wear the wrong shoes if you must, but don’t miss the party because of what someone else might think.

God, help me remember that the important thing is how I live, not how I look.

From the book "More Language of Letting Go."

Old 01-14-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Here's to life w/the wrong shoes, weird shoes, comfy-but-not-stylish shoes, or no freaking shoes at all!

Happy weekend, my friends.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks, HP. Happy weekend to you, too.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:45 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

January 15, 2017

Considering Commitments

Pay attention to your commitments.

While many of us fear committing, it’s good to weigh the cost of any commitment we are considering. We need to feel consistently positive that it’s an appropriate commitment for us.

Many of us have a history of jumping—leaping headfirst— into commitments without weighing the cost and the possible consequences of that particular commitment. When we get in, we find that we do not really want to commit, and feel trapped.

Some of us may become afraid of losing out on a particular opportunity if we don’t commit. It is true that we will lose out on certain opportunities if we are unwilling to commit. We still need to weigh the commitment. We still need to become clear about whether that commitment seems right for us. If it isn’t, we need to be direct and honest with others and ourselves.

Be patient. Do some soul searching. Wait for a clear answer. We need to make our commitments not in urgency or panic but in quiet confidence that what we are committing to is right for us.

If something within says no, find the courage to trust that voice.

This is not our last chance. It is not the only opportunity we’ll ever have. Don’t panic. We don’t have to commit to what isn’t right for us, even if we try to tell ourselves it should be right for us and we should commit.

Often we can trust our intuitive sense more than we can trust our intellect about commitments.

In the excitement of making a commitment and beginning, we may overlook the realities of the middle. That is what we need to consider.

We don’t have to commit out of urgency, impulsivity, or fear. We are entitled to ask, Will this be good for me? We are entitled to ask if this commitment feels right.

Today, God, guide me in making my commitments. Help me say yes to what is in my highest good, and no to what isn’t. I will give serious consideration before I commit myself to any activity or person. I will take the time to consider if the commitment is really what I want.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:34 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

January 16, 2017

Letting Go of Finances

Letting go doesn’t mean we don’t care. It’s about having faith that things will work out. Let’s take a look at how letting go applies to the issue of money.

John had been an alcoholic for years. Over time, the disease destroyed his life, including his financial health. He hit bottom and finally began recovery. After a while, he was able to start making progress in life. But his finances were in terrible shape. For a while, he hid all the bills in a drawer. Then one day, he took out the bills and started to make a plan. Instead of feeling hopeless and overwhelmed, he applied the Twelve Steps to this area of his life. He called his creditors. He gave himself a budget. He did the best that he could and he let go of the rest.

Slowly, over the years, he began to rebuild his credit. He paid off his debts, a little at a time. He applied for a credit card, the kind you have to pay in advance. Then after a year, his limit was raised. He doesn’t use the card for credit; he uses it for a credit rating. He’s now got a checking and a savings account. He pays his taxes and manages to save a little every week.

Sometimes things happen. Cars break down. People get sick. The rent gets raised. That unexpected expense comes up, out of the blue, just when you thought you were ahead.

There were many years I couldn’t do my budget on paper. No matter how I arranged it, more had to go out than I could see coming in. I did my best, took responsibility for myself, then let go.

Worry never helped.

An attitude of taking responsibility for myself did.

What we cannot do for ourselves, God will do for us. And God knows we need money to live here on earth. What was that the Bible said? Seek money first, and then you’ll have peace? Nope, I got that backwards. “Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all else shall be added unto you.”

Manifest what you need from a place of responsibility, trust, and peace.

God, teach me to let go of worrying about money.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

January 17, 2017

Letting Go of Being a Victim

It’s okay to have a good day. Really.

It’s okay to be doing okay and to feel like our life is manageable and on track.

Many of us have learned, as part of our survival behaviors, that the way to get the attention and approval we want is to be victims. If life is awful, too difficult, unmanageable, too hard, unfair, then others will accept, like, and approve of us, we think.

We may have learned this from living and associating with people who also learned to survive by being a victim.

We are not victims. We do not need to be victimized. We do not need to be helpless and out of control to get the attention and love we desire. In fact, the kind of love we are seeking cannot be obtained that way.

We can get the love we really want and need by only owning our power. We learn that we can stand on our own two feet, even though it sometimes feels good to lean a little. We learn that the people we are leaning on are not holding us up. They are standing next to us.

We all have bad days—days when things are not going the way we’d like, days when we have feelings of sadness and fear. But we can deal with our bad days and darker feelings in ways that reflect self-responsibility rather than victimization.

It’s okay to have a good day too. We might not have as much to talk about, but we’ll have more to enjoy.

God, help me let go of my need to be a victim. Help me let go of my belief that to be loved and get attention I need to be a victim. Surround me with people who love me when I own my power. Help me start having good days and enjoying them.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

January 18, 2017

Let Go of the Future

Many years ago, in ancient times, Moses led a group of slaves out of Egypt and back to their homeland. Along the way, they had to wander for many years through the Sinai Peninsula, a barren, rocky, lifeless stretch of land.

During their extended stay in the wilderness, God provided them with manna, a food that appeared out of nowhere and sustained the people with the nourishment they needed each day. The trick to this rhythm of trusting God, and receiving what they needed, was that any manna they received had to be used that day.

Manna couldn’t be hoarded. It could not be stored or saved up for a rainy day. If the people hoarded their manna, it would spoil and rot away. Or it would mysteriously disappear as magically and certainly as it had appeared.

Most of us know what it means to receive our daily bread. It’s the love, the guidance, the grace, and the material things we need each day on our journey.

Sometimes we can sit down and anticipate the times to come. We can look at our money, our strength, our abilities, our stamina, and say wearily, “There just won’t be enough.” That’s because we’re looking too far ahead.

Look around at what you have available, this moment or this hour. Use the resources and gifts you’ve been given. Tomorrow’s manna will come at its appointed hour.

God, help me enjoy the road to freedom, even when that journey takes me through the wilderness. Help me remember the rules about manna: living one day at a time.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I was not brought up in any religious tradition, so although I'd heard of manna, I was not aware that it had such a short shelf life!

I'm one of those folks who only wants to wear nice clothes for "special occasions" and hence has stuff hanging in her closet that she has never worn, pretty dishes in the cupboard that are being "saved for good", candles that don't get burned b/c then they'll be used up...Saving for a rainy day is a good practice, but things were made to be used, made to serve a purpose, right?

Cleaning out my brother's pole shed full of tools and lumber, donating or selling larger joint items of XAH's and mine, donating or selling things I'd had for years and didn't use--I did a lot of all of these things last spring and summer and felt so much lighter and happier when it was done.

The lesson of manna is a good one for me.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
A work in progress

So--no day-old manna sold at your bakery where you work?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:14 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Nope, I take it down to the rescue mission downtown, Lexie!

(Actually, one of the best parts of my day is taking the leftover bread and anything else that might be of use to the mission--there's a good vibe there, always leaves me feeling happy.)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:45 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

January 19, 2017

Flack from Setting Boundaries

We need to know how far we’ll go, and how far we’ll allow others to go with us. Once we understand this, we can go anywhere.
— BEYOND CODEPENDENCY

When we own our power to take care of ourselves—set a boundary, say no, change an old pattern—we may get flack from some people. That’s okay. We don’t have to let their reactions control us, stop us, or influence our decision to take care of ourselves.

We don’t have to control their reactions to our process of self-care. That is not our responsibility. We don’t have to expect them not to react either.

People will react when we do things differently or take assertive action to nurture ourselves, particularly if our decision in some way affects them. Let them have their feelings. Let them have their reactions. But continue on your course anyway.

If people are used to us behaving in a certain way, they’ll attempt to convince us to stay that way to avoid changing the system. If people are used to us saying yes all the time, they may start mumbling and murmuring when we say no. If people are used to us taking care of their responsibilities, feelings, and problems, they may give us some flack when we stop. That’s normal. We can learn to live with a little flack in the name of healthy self-care. Not abuse, mind you. Flack.

If people are used to controlling us through guilt, bullying, and badgering, they may intensify their efforts when we change and refuse to be controlled. That’s okay. That’s flack too.

We don’t have to let flack pull us back into old ways if we’ve decided we want and need to change. We don’t have to react to flack or give it much attention. It doesn’t deserve it. It will die down.

Today, I will disregard any flack I receive for changing my behaviors or making other efforts to be myself.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

January 20, 2017

Let Go of the Trappings

We call it keeping up with the Joneses. They buy a boat and we buy a bigger one. They get a new TV and we get a big screen. They start a business and we start planning our articles of incorporation and the first stock release. And while we’re so busy keeping up, we ignore our soul, the inner voice, that’s telling us that it really wants to teach children to read.

While it helps to identify with each other, we’re not the same. So why compare ourselves on the basis of material things?

Follow your own talent and heart. It may be that you are a talented public speaker, able to sway hundreds of people with your words. Or maybe you have the talent of friendship, and you’ve been sent to quietly, one-on-one, help those close to you walk their own path.

If you must compare yourself to something, compare your daily life to your ideals and dreams. Do they match? If those ideals and dreams bring great material wealth, that’s great. If they mean a life of quiet, anonymous service, that’s great, too. Yes, material goods can be fun. But they can also be a trap.

Are you walking a path with heart in your own life, regardless of what others have?

God, help me let go of the trappings. Teach me to walk my own path.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

January 21, 2017

Appreciating Ourselves

We are the greatest thing that will ever happen to us. Believe it. It makes life much easier.
— Codependent No More

It is time to stop this nonsense of running around picking on ourselves.

We may have walked through much of our life apologizing for ourselves either directly or indirectly—feeling less valuable than others, believing that they know better than we do, and believing that somehow others are meant to be here and we are not.

We have a right to be here.

We have a right to be ourselves.

We are here. There is a purpose, a reason, and an intention for our life. We do not have to apologize for being here or being who we are.

We are good enough, and deserving.

Others do not have our magic. We have our magic. It is in us.

It doesn’t matter what we’ve done in our past. We all have a past, woven with mistakes, successes, and learning experiences. We have a right to our past. It is ours. It has worked to shape and form us. As we progress on this journey, we will see how each of our experiences will be turned around and used for good.

We have already spent too much time being ashamed, being apologetic, and doubting the beauty of ourselves. Be done with it. Let it go. It is an unnecessary burden. Others have rights, but so do we. We are neither less than nor more than. We are equal. We are who we are. That is who we were created and intended to be.

That, my friend, is a wonderful gift.

God, help me own my power to love and appreciate myself. Help me give myself validity instead of looking to others to do that.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:27 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

This is a good one HP! I should read it everyday.