Old 12-31-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

ack, edit:

IF she's >>GRATEFUL FOR<< all the blessings

sorry i called away to do eggs.......
Old 12-31-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post

they say that people stop maturing when they start drinking......and alcohol becomes the answer to everything. once that is taken away the body and the mind suffer withdrawals - the chemical balance in the brain is all messed up - depression sets in along with an overall anhedonia.
She has her up times and down times, I cant lie i had to look up the last word in your paragraph - haha.

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
IF she stays the course, and IF she throws herself into a program of recovery, and IF she's all the blessings she HAS in her life, she stands a good shot at staying sober. but it's for life.....she will NEVER be a normal drinker again, she will never be able to just have a glass of wine now and then.
i know this will be the difficult if not impossible part "for life". i do sympathize that it must be strange to be able to never do something again that you have been doing for 20+ years.

What amount of people in recovery achieve this life long sober nirvana?
Old 12-31-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, I see this as a problem. This is why quitting for someone else--even someone deeply loved, like a husband or child--doesn't work. Life has to feel sucky enough AND realize that drinking is what's making it sucky, to really WANT to get sober.

I was fortunate--I had that realization before anything irreversible happened. Well, I shouldn't say that--I think I did do some irreversible damage to my health--but before I wound up arrested, losing my job, losing my home, ruining my credit, etc. For a lot of people that--and worse--has to happen before they have that moment of clarity. And there's really nothing you can do to hurry that along, other than making sure that you don't soften the blows when they come.

All the more reason for you to get some support for yourself, so if the worst happens (and it very well may, given her feelings about sobriety at the moment), you will be in the best position to take care of yourself and your kiddos.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by EnterSandman View Post
What amount of people in recovery achieve this life long sober nirvana?
Surprisingly, quite a few. Here's the thing, your wife isn't IN recovery, from what you've described. She's depriving herself, and feeling sorry for herself. Same reason crash diets don't work--they aren't sustainable. You can do it temporarily, but the bounce-back after a period of self-imposed "just not drinking" is a lot more harmful than falling off a diet is.

Staying sober is not only a lifestyle change, it requires a whole lot of internal rearrangement of priorities. It amounts to a major personality shift. Pretty dramatic changes have to happen, which is where a program like AA can help. Lots of internal reflection and practical exercises in being a person who can enjoy life without mind-altering chemicals. But you have to be in the right mind-set to dedicate yourself in that way. In AA it's often referred to as the "gift of desperation."