SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   I failed..... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/402205-i-failed.html)

lizatola 12-21-2016 08:20 PM

I failed.....

I took my licensing exam today. I failed. I needed a 72 to pass but I got a 67. Kinda depressing. My job was basically dependent on me passing so I find out tomorrow if they will give me a chance to study more and re take it in a month. I have to have an employee evaluation.

I'm trying not to wallow in it because I know I have to pick myself up by my bootstraps and move forward. My bf has been extremely supportive and earlier he said, "Our kids are healthy, neither of us is facing cancer or some other debilitating health problem, there are worse things out there even though I know you are beating yourself up for failing. Failure is just another opportunity to learn."

Yep. I know there are bigger problems I will face in life so I just see this as a setback mostly. Just another opportunity to better myself, you know?

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas/holiday season!

LexieCat 12-21-2016 08:30 PM

I'm so sorry, Liz. Yes, there are worse things, and it IS only a temporary setback. I know folks who failed the bar the first time, who are fine lawyers with good careers.

Still, I know how disappointing it is. Failure sucks. I have no doubt you'll be better prepared, next time.

Hugs!

Lilro 12-22-2016 04:41 AM

Yes Liz, preparation is everything. Don't let this setback get you down. Try again! I'm sure you'll be fine!!!

FeelingGreat 12-22-2016 04:47 AM

You'll do it Liz - it's just a temporary set-back.

Ariesagain 12-22-2016 04:53 AM

Sending you a hug.

aasharon90 12-22-2016 05:07 AM

It's in not doing the footwork that will
or would keep you from moving forwards
in achieving your goals.

I moved back home after a 25yr marriage,
almost 50yrs old, to work in a bank as a teller.
The position at this particular bank wont be
because of power hungry workers and I
clashing. Another bank where I was training
was where I really wanted to be with kind,
caring folks who began each day in prayer.

Of course there wasn't any positions available
there at that time to switch over, so I left with
wondering what to do next.

I was in an apt. and what the bank was
paying which was more than I could have
ever imagined would be gone and would
need another job to support myself.

So, I went to my AA meetings, talk to
folks about my position I was in and
filled out applications, went on job
interviews for possible work in recovery
or helping in a hospital, all to not pan
out.

I prayed as I would normally do asking
for Thy Will be done, direction and guidance
in finding what I was needed to do. Then in
talking with another AA member, they told
me of a local bakery looking for help.

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think
of applying for that kind of job. However, baking
was something I did numerous times thru out
my sobriety for the many many meetings I
went to as my own personal service work for
others to enjoy.

So, yes I applied and yes I got the job. I was
ecstatic, relieved and ever so grateful for
the footwork I had done and yet once again
was taken care of from Above. :)

So, never give up and things will happen
accordingly as expected with good old
fashion footwork. :)

Good luck..!!!!

Maudcat 12-22-2016 05:28 AM

Sorry, Liz. You will do better next time. Do you know where the weak spots are? Maybe work on those parts of the test. I took a lot of exams for credit during my undergraduatecollege career (adult student). Aced many of them, struggled with others. Never could master American Government and math. Peace.

53500 12-22-2016 06:34 AM

Aw, that's disappointing but you were close and next time you'll pass. Your bf is right about the perspective. It's just a temporary setback.

lizatola 12-22-2016 07:04 AM

Thanks everyone. I hope I hear early today instead of later. Kind of ready to just get it all over with: if that means studying more again or if it means moving on and finding a new job, you know?

Refiner 12-22-2016 07:17 AM

Liz... you would have "failed" if you had never striven to even take the test. One can always take the test again. And on the job front, if one door closes, another one opens. I am a true believer that things happen for a reason. Just have faith! :-)

greeteachday 12-22-2016 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Refiner (Post 6255612)
Liz... you would have "failed" if you had never striven to even take the test. One can always take the test again. And on the job front, if one door closes, another one opens. I am a true believer that things happen for a reason. Just have faith! :-)

Exactly. You did not "fail." You simply did not pass the test the first time. It's not a slam dunk by any means, so although disappointing for sure, it is just the beginning. Good for you for getting out of your comfort zone and trying!!

unsureoffuture 12-22-2016 08:12 AM

Years ago I failed my first licensing exam. I was allowed to retake it a few months later. I chose to take it at another venue out of town so I wouldn't be stressed out and anxious going back to the same place I "failed" the first time. It worked. I passed with flying colors and the rest is history. Keep your chin up, you can and will do it!!

FireSprite 12-22-2016 09:43 AM

I'm so sorry Liz, I know you must be terribly disappointed. :grouphug: :grouphug:

I wish I could count the number of professionals I know (both in & out of this same industry) that missed their first licensing exam like this, by *thismuch*.

Honestly, knowing how difficult this test is & how short of a timeframe you had to prepare once the decision was made..... I'm impressed with how well you did!

Good luck finding out more at work today, you'll be in my thoughts!!

lizatola 12-22-2016 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by FireSprite (Post 6255787)
I'm so sorry Liz, I know you must be terribly disappointed. :grouphug: :grouphug:

I wish I could count the number of professionals I know (both in & out of this same industry) that missed their first licensing exam like this, by *thismuch*.

Honestly, knowing how difficult this test is & how short of a timeframe you had to prepare once the decision was made..... I'm impressed with how well you did!

Good luck finding out more at work today, you'll be in my thoughts!!

Thank you! Yeah, we had a 5 week crash course. I know of one other girl who failed. I made friends with 3 girls in CO and of the 4 of us we were at 50%, lol.

We both got a second chance to try again, though. I start my training today and have to cover 3 chapters all over again, lol. There's a huge part of me that is scared to death to fail a second time and the other part (the competitive side) that says, "Bring it on!"

I will retake the test the first week of February and then just fall back into a new schedule. If I fail a second time, I'm out of the program completely.

I had dinner with my Regional Leader last night along with 2 other new advisors who are in the same process as me, just at different places in their schedules. My bf was really encouraging to them, but he thinks a lot of new folks really don't understand just how hard the job is and how much it will demand of you. He's been very successful at it but this job isn't for everyone and he's basically given me a crash course in the job because I see him at work and I know his story intimately.
My regional leader is female and she really wants me to get on board because she feels women are not represented enough in financial services and she said we have openings on our region that truly need filling. She's been pushing me to get back at it and encouraging me as well.

So, long story short......I get that second chance. Now, I just need to put the work in and study ALL OVER AGAIN! As much as that kills me to say I have to try again, I know it's necessary and I am determined to succeed.

BF woke up this AM early and was out watching TV before I got up. He patted the couch next to him and motioned for me to cuddle up with him. I almost started to cry when he hugged me in and I just buried my head in his shoulder.....I was so worried that I was going to have to start over and find a new job.

Oh, and my teenager got a job, too. New grocery store in the neighborhood and he had training last week and a crash course in weird coworkers, too, lol. He had a guy ask him if we had a room for him to rent. Umm, what grown adult asks an 18 year old if he has a room to rent? Anyway, I guess life is pretty good. Time for me to regroup and pull up my big girl panties!

firebolt 12-22-2016 11:38 AM

Thats great Liz - YOU CAN DO IT!!

Wisconsin 12-22-2016 11:46 AM

I'm so sorry to hear this, Liz, but glad (and not at all surprised) that you get another shot. Much love to you!

hopeful4 12-22-2016 11:46 AM

Great news about a second chance Liz. You will get it!

Maudcat 12-22-2016 12:05 PM

Good news indeed.

maia1234 12-22-2016 12:33 PM

Liz,
This is easy peasy lemon squeezy, my friend. You survived living with an addict. You can do Anything!! Its all Gods plan, not ours.

Merry Christmas!!

LexieCat 12-22-2016 02:31 PM

Great news! I have a feeling you'll CRUSH it next time!