Paying it forward

Old 12-20-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paying it forward

So you all know, or most of you know, that my AH is in rehab and unemployed. With the Christmas season upon us you could say that it has been a struggle with the bills, etc.

I have already shared that my "good egg" neighbor walked over with $100 gift card and told me to take care of the girls for Christmas.

Not sure if I shared that my sitter has been watching our youngest DD for free since he lost his job. She did the same thing in the summer when he was in the hospital. They are also extended family and do a lot for us and the kids outside of her business. So the kids wanted to get her something for Christmas, being on a budget it couldn't be much but when I talked to my AH about it he suggested to take $100 and give it to her for all she has done these last few months. I hesitated because I was thinking what I could use this money for, etc.
I said okay because he was right, she has done a lot for us recently, her and her family.....so I got her the money, she appreciated it, hated to take it but I told her it could never repay her for all she has done and this was just a small token of our appreciation.

When I came into work this morning I had a gift from my friend / boss on my desk. She knows what is going on and has given me her full support at the office and as a friend. When I opened her card this morning you can imagine my surprise when I found $100 in there!!!!! I couldn't even look at her, and she is the same. We just made eye contact and she said "Okay, it's all good, back to work".....

Of course I cried at my desk and thanked her over and over again. I am so blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life.

I have said this before and I will say it again, no matter how your day is going there is ALWAYS something to be thankful for! Always!! I hope you can take the time to recognized at least one blessing today.

Peace and Serenity to all of you!

KTT
Old 12-20-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Crying and smiling. What a blessing you are. It will keep coming back to you. Love your shares.
Old 12-20-2016, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Holy wow.

I recently started attending a Unitarian church, and I joined one of their "fellowship groups." They meet once a month, small groups, and they work sort of like an AA/Al-Anon meeting (minus any Steps or doctrine). But each month there is a topic, with several questions on the topic to share about. No pressure, you can pass or whatever, no cross talk, just sharing and listening.

We met last night and the (seasonal) topic was charity--giving of yourself or your money or time or gifts to others (or receiving it). There were some great shares. Some people feel they are too "proud" for "charity" but in the Bible (King James version), charity is just another word for love. And don't we all need a little of that now and then?

Thanks for a wonderful story.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think what surprised ME the most was I realized that this really started with my AH suggesting to make the offer. This is what he does - he absolutely loves to help others but never could or would accept help for himself. Ironic in my opinion.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Don't let him talk you into giving this hundred bucks away! Your neighbor (and your boss) wanted you to do something nice for your kids--make sure you do that with this gift. They deserve a warm, special holiday.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Believe me - he can be sincere when he wants to be. This was his suggestion and MY decision. This woman and her family have been very warm and understanding to us - just because she runs this business doesn't mean she has an abundance of money either - we both struggle pay check to pay check. Her family is as well deserved as mine.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Aww, amazing! - thanks for sharing this.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I wasn't suggesting he (or you) wasn't sincere. It was a lovely thing that you all did. I just wanted to make sure your kids benefitted, too, as originally intended.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I wasn't suggesting he (or you) wasn't sincere. It was a lovely thing that you all did. I just wanted to make sure your kids benefitted, too, as originally intended.
Oh yes, they did from the first one and they will from this as well!!
Old 12-20-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love stories like this. And they abound . . . this post reminded me of a few serendipitous times in my own life. I read once that "Coincidence is God being anonymous."

Also, it is true. It feels good to give, so we need to learn to be gracious receivers, as well. My husband's cousin told me that one time.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Had some amazing God experiences this week, then came across this thread and it explains it very well.

I pay it forward...

I turn around and am receiving...

I pay it forward...

And again I'm receiving...

There have been no "coincidences" in my life in a very long time.