Bad temperment and drinking...

Old 10-30-2001, 07:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
snookem

Angry Bad temperment and drinking...

My husand(in his late 40's) drinks beer now almost every day to the point where he gets very mean and verbally nasty with me. He'll pick a fight with me even if I'm asleep -- he'll wake me up with his loud muttering or turning bathroom lights on, etc. I never say a word. But sometimes, I might get up and watch tv and he'll start in on me. Tonight, my son woke up with a fever and rather than let me get medicine, he's yelling and me to get back and get medicine, which I was already doing. He absolutely does not think he has a problem as he isn't the falling down drunk that he associates with an alcoholic. If I say anything, he just points to my brotherinlaw who's really outofcontrol and uses him as the yardstick to measure his degree of "problem." It only takes a few beers now and he turns into a nasty, ugly man with an attitude. My six year old son sees this and I don't like it. He sees me cry and I don't know what to do. Please help asap.

Old 10-31-2001, 04:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SKEPTICAL

Hi Snookem,
I have to ask you, what are you getting out of this relationship?

Old 10-31-2001, 12:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Snookem...
Welcome to the forum!
Unfortunately, until your husband realizes he has a problem, the only people you can help are yourself and your son. Is he getting progressively more angry? Has he mistreated your son? Have you considered contacting a spouse abuse center in your area and getting their advice?
How does he explain his anger? (I mean, when he's sober.) Is he angry when he's not drinking?
If he doesn't get any help, and he progresses to hitting the walls or kicking the furniture PLEASE call an abuse hotline.
In the meantime... al-anon for you?

Smoke
Old 11-04-2023, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

How are you? I hope you are okay. Go to alanon and get in touch with a domestic abuse center. I lived with a man who also got mean and picked fights with me. I deserve to be treated with love and so do you.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=snookem;20628]My husand(in his late 40's) drinks beer now almost every day to the point where he gets very mean and verbally nasty with me. He'll pick a fight with me even if I'm asleep -- he'll wake me up with his loud muttering or turning bathroom lights on, etc. I never say a word. But sometimes, I might get up and watch tv and he'll start in on me. Tonight, my son woke up with a fever and rather than let me get medicine, he's yelling and me to get back and get medicine, which I was already doing. He absolutely does not think he has a problem as he isn't the falling down drunk that he associates with an alcoholic. If I say anything, he just points to my brotherinlaw who's really outofcontrol and uses him as the yardstick to measure his degree of "problem." It only takes a few beers now and he turns into a nasty, ugly man with an attitude. My six year old son sees this and I don't like it. He sees me cry and I don't know what to do. Please help asap.[/QUOT
Old 11-05-2023, 10:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ya'll .. @qtpi and @dbyrer ...This thread was written in 2001.

When she said, "Please help asap," ...
Old 11-06-2023, 08:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Ya'll .. @qtpi and @dbyrer ...This thread was written in 2001.

When she said, "Please help asap," ...
I realized as I was about to reply, but am not allowed to delete my post. Sorry.
Old 11-06-2023, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

nothing to be sorry about

D