No longer hiding behind the mask....

Old 12-06-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No longer hiding behind the mask....

These are the words my AH told me yesterday during our conversation. And they struck a chord in me. Yes, we have BOTH been hiding behind the mask. Talking the talk but never walking the walk.....

So for me - tonight, I will go to a different Alanon meeting and then another new one Sunday and hopefully this time around I can find a sponsor to work me thru the steps. I had Alanon back home and I did have a sponsor but I never asked for a step-study. I know it will take time to find that person to fit with but this is my goal. I am ready to embrace this when the time is right!

No more pretending and hiding - time to remove the mask and be true to myself.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The title of your thread caught my attention. I recently told my husband he still hides behind a mask. I hope one day he will choose to take it off. I think it takes strength to open ourselves to others and show our vulnerabilities and take responsibility for our actions.

Stay true to yourself, knowthetriggers. I read your thread the other day. I thought your actions showed strength and confidence. You stayed true to yourself and respectfully held firm to the boundaries you set when your husband relapsed. Keep on keeping on...
Old 12-06-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HoldOnLoosely View Post
The title of your thread caught my attention. I recently told my husband he still hides behind a mask. I hope one day he will choose to take it off. I think it takes strength to open ourselves to others and show our vulnerabilities and take responsibility for our actions.

Stay true to yourself, knowthetriggers. I read your thread the other day. I thought your actions showed strength and confidence. You stayed true to yourself and respectfully held firm to the boundaries you set when your husband relapsed. Keep on keeping on...

Thank you.

His words shocked me. I have never heard him say that before. Of course his sobriety is in the infancy stage but his thinking is different. I can only lift this up to my Higher Power that we both stay the course.