Now should we be worried?

Old 12-04-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Now should we be worried?

I posted awhile back about my SSstb15 was asking us for muscle relaxers. That has ceased since football ended (high school) and I stupidly thought everything was okay, that maybe his mom was over reacting to whatever pain he said he was having and giving him the pills(he admitted she was giving them to him).

Thursday out of the blue he announced that he knows someone he can get pot from. This of course got a reaction from both DH and I and then SS immediately stated "I've never smoked it" Awwww he thinks we're stupid.

I'm not saying he has addiction issues-it's probably just experimentation but it appears to me that he's moving up the ladder and it scares me.

DH made an appointment for SS to see a counselor, his first appointment is friday.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, from my own experience with kids (being one and having two), the statement was made (a) for shock value and (b) to see what your reaction would be.

I'd venture to say every kid his age at this point knows someone s/he could get pot from. In short, I don't think the statement, in itself, means much.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That makes me feel a little better. I just worry. Maybe DH's problem makes me hypersensitive?

I know he's going to do it. I did it. I'm sure most people at some point try some type of drug, usually pot. I just never thought it was an issue. :-/
Old 12-04-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Have you ever had a long talk with him about addiction--his dad's, how little is known about it, how it destroys lives? I don't think anyone should go off the deep end if they find out their kid has had a few drinks or has smoked pot. I think, since they are illegal, dangerous, and you've forbidden it, if you discover he has, some punishment is in order, but it doesn't mean he's turning into an addict. He's seen that many people do those things without long-term consequences. An honest talk, saying it's not destiny but it is risky, helps maintain your credibility, I think. As well as the message that as long as he's at home depending on you, you get to set the rules. If he wants to experiment he needs to wait until he's of legal age and not living under your roof.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well if he did have plans to get pot, he's not very good at the sneaky part!!! that he made the pronouncement TO adults indicates there may be other motives. remember his dad's addiction has been front and center for a long time. he got to watch his dad "get away with it" and also suffered as the child of an addict.

and he's 14 going on 40. teenagers. ugh. they really are aliens!!!

i agree with lexie that a good sit down talk about alcohol, drugs, addiction, the whole bit is due. not a lecture. even he knows it's unlikely after a couple tokes he will rob a bank or chew someone's face off. BUT there are all kinds of nasty concoctions out there now that can be fatal.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BUT there are all kinds of nasty concoctions out there now that can be fatal.
This is what came to mind for me--when I was in high school, pot was cheap and not very strong. You'd get happy and goofy for a while, then hungry. That was about it. The reason I stopped smoking it (35 years ago) was that it was starting to get much stronger, and I didn't care for the way it made me feel any more.

Hope you get things figured out; it seems some here have given good advice.