Please welcome M1980

Old 11-21-2016, 08:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Please welcome M1980

I am going through the exact same situation my alcholic girlfriend of a little over a year has decided to dump me after beginning AA classes and even though I know she honestly did me a favor it still hurts like hell because all I can dwell on are the good times and unfortunately she does live with me and cannot move out until next week I work second shift so the struggle is coming home and forcing myself to not go upstairs and sleep next to her I realize now I put up with her alcholic abusive behavior because I have absolutely no self esteem and I so desperately did not want to be alone but this whole experience finally got me to schedule counseling for myself that I should have been doing years ago I pray she will truly get better but honestly I doubt she ever will.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In recovery they tell us recovery has to be put ahead of everything else or you will "lose it all in the end anyway." She may just be following directions. You can help yourself by going to Alanon.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello M1980,

I moved your post to a brand new thread of it's own so that it doesn't get lost. You will get more responses this way.

Mike
Old 11-27-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by M1980 View Post
I am going through the exact same situation my alcholic girlfriend of a little over a year has decided to dump me after beginning AA classes and even though I know she honestly did me a favor it still hurts like hell because all I can dwell on are the good times and unfortunately she does live with me and cannot move out until next week I work second shift so the struggle is coming home and forcing myself to not go upstairs and sleep next to her I realize now I put up with her alcholic abusive behavior because I have absolutely no self esteem and I so desperately did not want to be alone but this whole experience finally got me to schedule counseling for myself that I should have been doing years ago I pray she will truly get better but honestly I doubt she ever will.
Counseling sounds like a great idea M1. You might have to try a few different counselors to find the right fit.

I hope you can put your own healing/growth/recovery first in your life. We codies have our own set of yuck to deal with. It is very difficult to face but our own recovery is as powerful an agent for good as the recovery of an alcoholic.

Let us know how things go.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Break ups are hard M1, but that goes 100 fold where alcoholism is concerned. I know you love her, but you must allow her to heal before she can be a good partner to you. Also, the disease is an absolute beast and taking on recovery while in a relationship can be too much for many. Let her heal while you do the same. If you are meant to be together, you will find your way. Bighugs
Old 11-27-2016, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

M,
You have been on this forum for a couple years so you know how it works. You say that she is attending AA, what about you attending alanon. I would highly recommend hitting that or an open aa meeting. This is the time in your life that you need to start healing, with or without her. You have been living with an addict and I am sure your life has been out of control for a very long time.

Relationships are a two way street. Start working on your recovery. How can you expect to have a healthy relationship if you are not mentally healthy. They take a lot out of us, that we didn't even know. Let her work on her recovery, and who knows where this could lead. I know it is hard, but you can do this my friend!! Sending hugs!!
Old 11-30-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you and God bless