Oh Boy

Old 10-07-2004, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gracey

Oh Boy

Called home, dont know why........

I wanted my dog really bad......I love my dog.........he is alot of work......but I dont mind it......I cant help what he does when I am not there.....

I asked my daughter to take him outside so he could go to the bathroom and run around a bit....I also asked her to watch him so he would dig or get into mischief......cause he will.......there is no questions that he will he is only 8 months old....he is a golden retriever......

Well she let him out.....and didnt watch him.......so he found something interesting in my flower garden and decided to decapitate my rose bush that had a couple of flowers on them......and then he decided to dig it completly out of it spot......my husband is so mad........he wants me to get rid of him.......

I dont want to get rid of him......he gives me so much pleasure. I just love having him........he is so cute and cuddly......I am not sure what to do...........

I have repeatedly told the kids to let him out, but if you do not want to watch him please put him back so he doesnt get into trouble......I have yelled, I have pleaded.....I have screamed........is it so hard.........because my husband freaks out.......he says it is all my fault.....I am the one that wanted him.......he didnt......and if he destroys his yard......

I am at work and I am the last to get home.......you would think that someone else would be capable of taking care of him for an hour or an hour and a half till I get home.......I call home today to get yelled at.....by my husband about what my dog had done......and that he wants me to get rid of him.......I cannot control what others do when i am not at home........I am sad.....I brought my puppy home when he was 6 weeks old knowing that my husband didnt want one......he told me to turn back around and take the dam dog back where I got him......why is everything so hard........

Old 10-07-2004, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeesh, when it rains it pours hey? Maybe you can compromise and build a run for the dog. Then it can only terrorize a certain part of the yard. My parents have one for their dog, ( black lab) and it keeps him out of trouble when their not home.

I hope you get to keep it.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))
you are not alone~
Old 10-07-2004, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

Gracey,

Do the kids want the dog too? If they do then it would seem to me that everyone must have a role in taking care of him. If not, then you will need to make the decision of what to do to make sure you can keep him. It isn't going to be easy, but then having someone/something that relies on you never is. I ask this with much compassion, considering all that you are going through right now and all the energy you need to get healthy, is a puppy the right choice for this period of time?

Puppies like children like to explore so you have got another extra child in your life - that makes 4 for you (I recall you post from earlier).

Give it some thought. There may be a way around it, but you may need to sit the kids down and ask them for help. Let us know how it works out.

Peace for tonight -
Petunia
Old 10-07-2004, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gracey

I have had this puppy for 6 1/2 months now.........I love taking care of him......everyone plays with him, everyone expect my husband loves him.......that just dont want to help take care of him........I dont mind taking care of him.......but when I am not home I cant......I dont think it is right for me to give up something that I like.......to make him happy.....dont I do enough......havent I given enough.......I would rather him leave then the dog.......I've known him for 11 years now.....and I only have had my puppy 6 1/2 months...........

Old 10-07-2004, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Gracey, I'm not sure I know how to put this into words but do what is right for the puppy. If you can make it work with your A and your kids that would be wonderful but if the puppy is going to cause problems give it to a good home. When I met my A b/f over 9 years ago one of the first things I told him was "Love me, love my animals". I meant it and have always stood by it. He knows better than to come between me and my pets. They love me unconditionally. When we bought our house they had just installed all new doors and windows. Can you imagine how my b/f felt when I said I'm not moving in until we install a pet door. He had to cut a hole in our brand new door. He didn't want to but he did it. A puppy is a lot of work. Can you work out a compromise with him and your kids? I can tell you love your dog but do what's best for the dog. Dogs can sense when someone doesn't like them and without proper training it can cause problems later. Do you have any baby gates? That's what I use to keep the dogs out of the living room. They haven't learned how to wipe their paws when they come in the pet door. Maybe section off a part of your house for the puppy and put down piddle pads. As far as the plants are concerned, with a puppy there's not much you can do except maybe put a bunch of puppy toys and chewies outside for him when you take him out. Aquiana had a good idea about building a run for him. I do wish you the best. Good luck!!
Old 10-07-2004, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Finding Strength

I have a dog and he seriously helped me through a very difficult time in my life. I know the love we can have for our animals. Can you sit down with the family, explain how much the puppy means to you and tell them how much you would appreciate it if they could do something nice for you by helping out. I also have gates and I gate off the rooms that he can get into something. He is 2 and is still a puppy! They are hard work! The first dog I ever had was an awful puppy, he tore up EVERYTHING including my new living room couch. He was a devil, but the cutest. I was going to bring him back when I decided to try puppy kingergarten. He passed with flying colors! It was $150.00...but what we learned was priceless. He was the best family dog, but we all had to make the effort. He has since passed. My new dog is challenging as well but he is totally worth it too.

I do agree with luvmyfurbabies............if the situation doesnt improve and your husband doesnt soften, I would try to find a loving home for him, your husband ...not the dog!! LOL just kidding ...you know what I mean.
Good Luck ..I hope things get better
Hugs
Michelle
Old 10-07-2004, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I am wondering how the decision was made to get the puppy in the first place? Was in mutual? Relationships are about compromise. Did he object before you even got it?

I am a total animal lover and so is Ward. But neither one of us would get a pet without talking about it and agreeing. That would be right up there with going off the pill without telling.

Hugs,
JT
Old 10-08-2004, 07:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gracey

I brought him home knowing full well that my husband did not want him........I didnt care what he said.......I thought that as soon as he seen him he would just fall in love........he did, he played with him.........I took my puppy everywhere to baseball games....to the park.......he didnt leave my side.....and still doesnt.......

After about a month......maybe not even quite a month......I told my husband that I would give him to a good home....and I found someone....who would love to have him......he was one of the coaches of my son's baseball team.....who was also a trainer for leader dogs.......he trains them for a little over a year......and then they get placed with a needy person........I thought that would be a perfect opportunity to place him in this training program......so atleast if I couldnt have him.......some one would have a companion for life.......

My husband wouldnt have it.....he said no..........keep the dog.........

I spent alot of money for my puppy......he is a Golden Retriever pure bred.......he is so smart........when he said keep him......I was so happy.........and promised to take care of him.........and love him.........I have trained in......see my friend that trains puppies have give me some tips.......He was only 10 weeks old and he knew the command come........

If he didnt want me to keep him......he should have let me give him up when I had the perfect opportunity too......and I said are you sure........and If you decide to let me keep him I dont want to hear another word.....about it......

I think my husband should go and my puppy should stay..........my puppy gives me kisses and I taught him to give me a hug......and he is always so happy to see me....and he never yells at me.........he never demands dinner.........he nudges me with his nose, and licks me if he is hungry.......

Old 10-08-2004, 08:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh yes, puppies can be much more well behaved than husbands ! lol

In my opinion, this doesn't have anything to do with whether your H wants a dog or not. I think the dog is just another opportunity for him to control you, make you feel guilty, make you keep trying to do the impossible - make him happy.

I think that your H is not happy and won't be happy until he addresses his problems. I think that he likes to blame you for his unhappiness so that he doesn't have to face the fact that his happiness rests with him.
L
Old 10-08-2004, 09:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Gracey

Lorelai

Thank you

I am reacting to him complaining about the dog......I am going to stop reacting......to this.....I am going to stop feeling bad, guilty......this is another way for him to manipulate me.....