SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Memory triggers, songs, movies, etc (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/400302-memory-triggers-songs-movies-etc.html)

lizatola 11-11-2016 03:48 PM

Memory triggers, songs, movies, etc

Does anyone else have songs or movies or sounds that trigger bad memories or fear or adrenaline rushes?

My bf just put on Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory for his kids and I had to leave the room. One of the men/boys who molested me used to call himself the Candy Man and I still can't hear that song or watch that movie without thinking of him.

They also made us (2 7 year old girls) dance to Yellow Submarine while they did things to us. To this day, I still hate Elton John's music although I know he's quit talented. Friends through the years could never understand when I'd say, 'CHANGE THE F'ING CHANNEL!!!!"

And, I also can't stand to hear a woman screaming when she's being held hostage or restrained. It reminds me of how I cried and wailed when my dad put me in my toy box and sat on the lid. I literally have a panic attack and can't watch many horror movies.

Sigh......somedays I wish I was just normal. I hate having to explain myself and most times I get tired of my own stories so I don't even say a thing. I leave the room, go shopping, somehow block out Elton John (god, I can't even admit to how much I hate him and it's not his fault personally), etc. I literally sometimes have to have an out of body experience! UGH!

LexieCat 11-11-2016 04:23 PM

Liz, have you ever sought treatment for PTSD? It's something I'm researching right now related to something I have to write for work, and from what I'm reading, EMDR therapy sounds like it's quite effective in terms of defusing the emotional response.

Maudcat 11-11-2016 04:27 PM

I'm sorry, lizatola. It sounds horrible. Assume you are getting counselling? This seems like something that is big and requires help.

lizatola 11-11-2016 05:01 PM

Oh, and duh moment....it was Crocodile Rock from Elton John. the Beatles song I mentioned above was definitely one they played when they locked me in the basement and wouldn't let me out, but I don't have the same 'willies' I get from Elton. go figure!

And, yes, I did counseling in college when I had the memories come back to me after I was raped. I also did 4 years of counseling recently and also did a few years about 12 years ago, too.

olow 11-11-2016 07:13 PM

Yes. Mine is recent and is still happening after leaving XABF 2 weeks ago. Back there, it could be something as simple as certain sounds in his house that were triggering panic and/or adrenaline rushes. I was pretty much in a constant state of panic there with times of being "ok" in between. Walking on glass around someone you love and trusted fully is no fun at all. Now I it comes and goes moment to moment and is not necessarily connected to anything in particular. That being said, moving back to where I was before him is triggering daily panic attacks from the past here (has nothing to do with anyone abusing me, just the area in general and situation).
I feel lost.

LexieCat 11-11-2016 07:20 PM

It's great that you got counseling, but there are some very specific PTSD treatments now that weren't around back then. Just saying. I think many of us have bad memories that flood back when we're reminded of very stressful times, but what you went through is more than that. You'd probably never love those songs, movies, etc., and still prefer not to have to endure them, but the right treatment might make you feel a bit more in control of the emotions.