OT--Just a reminder

Old 11-08-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OT--Just a reminder

No political positions posted here, please, but I hope all of our U.S. members went out to VOTE.

And if you haven't yet, there's still time.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's crazy, I feel more emotionally wrecked by the election in the US than I ever feel about an election here in Ireland! Lol. Hugs to you all.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Aw, thanks. I think it's been a tough few months for a lot of us. Nice to have friends across the pond sending good thoughts.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Yeap! Zero and I just got back from dropping off my perm. absentee ballot. We had so many propositions here in California by the time I researched them all I wasn't sure my ballot would make it back to County Elections in time to be counted lol
Old 11-08-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I discovered when I went to the polling place, that my previous request for a mail-in ballot meant I couldn't use the machine to vote. Apparently I was supposed to have called the Board of Elections to tell them I intended to vote in person.

So I had to do it the old-fashioned way with a pen and paper (and have the election worker explain to me at least three times how I was supposed to fill out the various parts of the ballot and put it in the envelope--I asked her to bear with me, I was a lawyer and therefore not that bright).

When I was four, my mom took me with her to vote. I dutifully put an X "here" and then another X "there," and when she asked me to mark a third X, I said, "Nope, I voted for a cat and a dog and that's all I'm voting for." (Apparently back in the day cats and dogs were members of the same party.)
Old 11-08-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We've had mail-in ballots only for years here. No more polling booths at all in my state.

I waited until yesterday to vote, but I did it and walked it up to City Hall and put it in the ballot box instead of mailing it. It gave me a little sense of that polling place thing of old, without all the waiting. Lots of other people were doing the same, a few of them with their dogs. I like the idea of bringing a dog to vote.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will be so *glad* the advertising and telephone calls will *stop*.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was just thinking about, if I still was married and lived with my ex, the drama of the election night, probably some food tossed around, door banging, and screaming and cussing. And who is leading would be irrelevant. But there would be screaming.

Here I am, living alone for 18 months, just waiting for the results, the place is quiet, my pup is dead tired, sleeping peacefully on the bed. My very own bed.

I voted early this morning. It was a breeze.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just learned this year that anyone can vote absentee--I always thought it was something you had to "qualify" for, like if you were in the service and overseas or something.

So I took a pic of my driver's license (we need photo ID here in Wisconsin), emailed it to the clerk and got my absentee ballot. Judging by how crowded the polling places were that I drove past yesterday AM right at opening time, I am mighty glad I didn't have to deal w/long lines and waiting times.