Father's Pancreatitis Recovery

Old 11-03-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Father's Pancreatitis Recovery

Dad had a major reality check last weekend, admitted himself to ER after a binge and was diagnosed with severe pancreatitis, inflamed gallbladder, total GI chaos, etc. He's 47, has been a partier since high school, recreational drug use as well, minus a 7 yr period years ago when my siblings were young. He definitely understands a major life change is in order, and most of the family is rallying behind him and will support him as he makes these changes. My biggest concern is how he will cope with his demons, as he has manic depression and has always favored self-medication over powerful drugs to keep his mental health in check. He wants to live, but I am sure the changes ahead for him will be daunting & agonizing. No extreme withdrawal symptoms or DTs, but his Dr. said he won't see 50 if he keeps this up.

Any advice or diet tips, particularly anti-inflammatory foods? Is it critical that he avoid smoking pot as well? Eager to help, but I need the education first. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I can't speak to diet--his doctors or the hospital nutritionist should be able to recommend one that will meet his nutritional needs--but it's critical for anyone in recovery from drugs/alcohol to avoid any recreational drug use (and yes, that includes pot). Most alcoholics/addicts want to change the way they feel and it's EXTREMELY risky to take anything that isn't intended to restore normal functioning (e.g., antidepressants, antipsychotics).
Old 11-03-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

HyperBallad....he will, most certainly, be under the care of a gastroenterologist....and, you can be sure that they have given him dietary instructions at his discharge. You can ask the doctor's office for dietary materials of pancreatitis. (yes, a nutritionist can, also).
There are also website that you can google that will give you general advice about post pancreatitis dietary recommendations.
for sure, the new "diet" won't include any alcohol or pot...lol...
Old 11-08-2016, 12:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hope that his reality check really does help ... my AH had a similar episode back in 2011, in fact he was repeatedly hospitalised over a 6-8 month period with ongoing attacks. Like your dad, there was no withdrawal or DTs (which apparently surprised the staff). He even had his gallbladder removed at one point because they thought that may have been the cause. In between attacks, he tried moderating his drinking but never for long.

He managed to stop for about 5 weeks after his last hospital visit in the end, but unfortunately he started drinking again and ramped it up to his usual levels within a month or so. I'm ashamed to say I was hoping he would get sick again, but in the last 5 years he's had one hospital stay earlier this year for pancreatitis and is drinking as much if not more as before.

Apparently you can also get this from codeine (rare, but possible) and that's what he has - or so I'm told.

Remember that whatever recommendations the doctors/dietitians/health professionals make, it's your dad that has to step up and do the work - I hope that he can do it, for your sake as well as his.