Halloween and Wine

Old 11-02-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

The coolest Halloween I ever experienced as an adult had no alcohol involved whatsoever. A bunch of neighbors decided to become a KISS tribute band for a night and played until 9PMish. They threw themselves 100% into this with hair, makeup, everything. They probably would have thrown in some pyrotechnics too if it weren't for the possibility of catching hell from the Fire Department.

Alcohol's easy. This required dedication.
Old 11-03-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I used to be of the "Halloween is a big party" mindset. I quit drinking over three years ago and I will never forget my first sober Halloween. The stench of alcohol on everyone was almost overpowering. I felt nauseated. It is funny how you never smell alcohol when you are one of the drinkers.

It is so surreal being a non-drinker now. I have way too many years of heavy drinking under my belt to ever make a judgment on it. That being said, my alcohol-free life is so great and I feel physically great all of the time. I wish society didn't put such an emphasis on it one way or another. My husband (he is not an alcoholic, my mother is my qualifier here) is on a business trip. We never drink at home anymore, so the only times he drinks any alcohol is when he is socializing on business. He had a glass of wine and couple of beers last night and a bunch of rich food and he told me how miserably he slept and how lousy his stomach feels this morning. You can't tell people how great life is without alcohol without seeming preachy and holier than thou, but once you experience a long period of time without it, you wish you could shout it to the hills how great life is when you are clear minded and taking care of your body, mind and soul in the best way possible. I guess living by example is what I am trying to do for my kids.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

And I'm not saying to not have any alcohol at a get-together, because I'm the first one to offer my guests a drink at a dinner party of a football game party, etc. But Halloween is a kids' event, and I don't understand why people couldn't abstain from their nightly drinks for an hour or two.

After I put my DS to bed, I have a beer or cocktail 3-4 nights per week - but he doesn't smell it on my breath as I'm kissing him goodnight - like he gets from his mother, my AW.

How are parents supposed to convey the dangers of drugs and alcohol to the children, when they see the adults drinking everyday, from the time they walk in the door from work? It's hypocritical.

I guess I'm more sensitive because I live with an A.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I agree with WTBH adults who can drink reasonably is not the worst thing ever to have a glass of wine or a few beers celebrating an event like Halloween. Now if those same parents were walking around carrying a few beers or wine with them to the kids sporting events, school functions that’s a whole different story then doing it on Halloween in their own neighborhoods. Right or wrong drinking outside on the street by responsible adults is not the worst thing.

I believe we can become hyper sensitive to this issue based on adults we witnessed who were not responsible.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When my kids were younger, they're both in their 20's now, we used to host an open house Halloween party. We were essentially a way station for parents and kids to congregate to begin the candy gathering, a place to get something warm and nutritious to eat while taking a break from said activity, and to hang out afterward. Over the course of about a dozen such Halloween events my experience was that some of the parents would have beer or wine and take a beverage while following the youngins around the neighborhood trick or treating and some would not, but I never experienced a single instance where a parent drank to excess. Whether anyone "needed" a drink I can not say.

Beyond that observation, my macro point is that with life being as busy as it was (and is) the Halloween gatherings presented an opportunity for a group of adults to get together to enjoy each other's company while ensuring that their children were safe. In that sense it was both a children's holiday as well as a time for adults to be in a social situation with friends and acquaintences that they may not see very often; the focus was on the children, their glee, and their costumes, yet there was also an adult aspect. In most situations involving adults in the evening alcohol is consumed and to the extent that we hosted an annual party which offered beer and wine along with water, soda, and seltzer we were facilitators, but based upon how much alcohol we went through I can write with certainty that the per capita consumption was very low. The reality is that the vast majority of people drink responsibly or not at all so to them their beverage of choice was a total non issue.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My friends and I have kids of ages where they can wander in the safe cul de sac solo (while we watch from a distance). We parents, were all dressed up and reliving the 80's to a degree (as that was the costume theme of the year) and I enjoyed a glass of wine, but my fun was certainly not conditioned upon having it.

But this scenario vs adults who use any excuse to drink to a drunken state or who walk around like morons (like my xAH did trick or treating with me and the kids when they were toddlers) is a whole different ballgame...

I can count on one hand how many times I have drank in the last 6 months. I can take it or leave it and never find myself wanting more than 1 glass of wine... I guess Im hyper conscious about being in control at all times, having watched in disgust for so many years, as alcohol destroyed the xAH...
Old 11-04-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
And I'm not saying to not have any alcohol at a get-together, because I'm the first one to offer my guests a drink at a dinner party of a football game party, etc. But Halloween is a kids' event, and I don't understand why people couldn't abstain from their nightly drinks for an hour or two.

After I put my DS to bed, I have a beer or cocktail 3-4 nights per week - but he doesn't smell it on my breath as I'm kissing him goodnight - like he gets from his mother, my AW.

How are parents supposed to convey the dangers of drugs and alcohol to the children, when they see the adults drinking everyday, from the time they walk in the door from work? It's hypocritical.

I guess I'm more sensitive because I live with an A.
I think we are more sensitive because of our circumstances, but I think the "Halloween is a kids' event" is what has changed. Adults have taken Halloween and made it another party night---sometimes 2 or 3 nights, as there are several Halloween parties to attend on the weekend before, then those drinks with the other parents on Halloween itself. For better or worse, Halloween is definitely more for adults in our society now.