A Thought for 10/6

Old 10-06-2004, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

A Thought for 10/6

Life is not always what one wants it to be, but to make the best of it as it is, is the only way of being happy.
--Jennie Jerome Churchill

We are generally so certain that we know what's best for ourselves. And we are just as often certain that what we think is best will guarantee happiness. Perhaps we should reflect on all the times in the past when our wishes didn't come true--fortunately.

Did any one of us expect to be doing today, what we each are doing? We may have expected children, a particular kind of home, a certain career, but did we really anticipate all that life has wrought? Addiction, and then recovery from it, was probably not in our pictures. But it does fit into the big picture. The happiness we experience today probably doesn't visit us in the way we anticipated a few years back. But it is measured out according to our needs. The choice to be happy with what is, is ours to make, every moment.

I can take life as it is, and trust that it is just right, just what it needs to be. The big picture guarantees me lasting happiness. Today's experiences will move me a step closer.

From the book Each Day a New Beginning by Karen Casey
Old 10-06-2004, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Radar

Thanks for sharing that, Petunia. I like your quote. I get a lot of insight from Kahlil Gibrans quotes. They say a lot. Here are some.

"One may not reach the dawn save by the path of the night."

"Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars."
and

"He who has not looked on Sorrow will never see Joy."

--Kahlil Gibran
Old 10-06-2004, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi (((((Petunia)))))))! Thank you for that... I think I am finally starting to see how true that is.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

Peaches - I would bet money that you are just based on the progress in your posts. It really helps me to see others making progress - gives me a sense of motiviation myself.

Karivan - "The Prophet" is a powerful collection of Gibran's works. I expect that you have read it - thanks for the reminder as I am going to dig my copy out and have another read!

Until tomorrow folks -

Peace,

Petunia