OT--Keylogging

Old 10-01-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

OT--Keylogging

Well....I think keylogging may not be c ompletely off topic...as the subject has come up on the forum, lately....as related to personal safety issues.....
My question is---Is keylogging illegal?
I must confess that I am very ignorant of such matters...lol...I thought that using a keylogging device was something that the FBI did under special circumstances....
Honestly, it seems to be, yet, another way that innocent and ignorant people like me are more vulnerable than was assumed.
It seems to me that someone of stalking mentality has an ever increasing arsenal of tools at their disposal.....
Apparently, gone are the days when one just parked down the block to check if someone else's lights are on or off.....

Maybe, somebody who is knowledgable can s upply some enlightening information for those of us who need it in order to better protect ourselves in this new world.....

***some of you may remember that I am the one who almost fainted when I learned, on this very forum, that cursive writing is no longer taught in most schools.
I am still clutching my pearls, on that one!
Old 10-01-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think most stalking statutes would consider it a form of "following" or part of the "course of conduct" that would make a person fearful. Stalking statues vary widely from one jurisdiction to another. Some states have specific cyberstalking or other "computer crime" statutes that might make it illegal.

So the answer, as with most legal questions, is, "It depends."

We lawyers are incredibly helpful, eh? Seriously, though, if you want to know what's legal in your own state, you'd have to read your state statutes (and maybe relevant case law). Or consult a lawyer who practices in your jurisdiction (but expect to pay for it).
Old 10-01-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

One other thing to consider, too. Many forms of "key logging" software and other types of "spyware" are marketed as a way to keep an eye on what employees are doing on business-owned computers, or as a way for parents to keep their children safe. Those are probably legal. In the case of business-owned computers, the company may need to advise employees that their usage may be monitored. Parents generally have a right (and possibly an obligation) to snoop on what their kids are up to.

So those might be legitimate purposes. Which also might be raised as a defense, even if the actual purpose is more sinister.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i suspect, aka guess, that there is a big difference between installing software of ANY kind on a computer in your own home, or at your place of business where employees USE computers that the business provides - versus sneaking into someone else's home or place of business and doing the same.

might get sticky if a spouse has a work sponsored laptop at home and the other spouse hacks in and install keylogger.

ultimately tho, if one discovers that their spouse has taken such drastic invasive steps, there is a REAL problem. which could be either the partner using the computer to get on sex sites or hook up sites, or corresponding with an affair partner, OR the innocent partner being TRACKED by the crazy controlling partner. trust has been thrown out the window and left behind about 1,000 miles down the road.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
trust has been thrown out the window and left behind about 1,000 miles down the road.
The trust is broken. The other downside is that your personal thoughts (vents) that you shared with others (SR, family and friends) regarding your partner's alcoholism and addiction are used against you (your words are thrown back at you). That's what I've experienced.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
... some enlightening information for those of us who need it in order to better protect ourselves in this new world.......
Here are a couple of good links on the subject:

WomensLaw.org | Internet Security

http://nnedv.org/downloads/SafetyNet...an_English.pdf

Mike