Addiction Cartoon

Old 09-20-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction Cartoon

I remembered seeing this years ago & went searching for it today to share with a friend. Figured I'd re-post it here in case anyone else finds is useful. I think it's a great way to open the conversation with kids depending on their age/maturity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzkA7ArGkak

Last edited by DesertEyes; 09-20-2016 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Please do not embed videos, post only links.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I remember you posting this here before, FireSprite. It was nice to see it again!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Last edited by DesertEyes; Yesterday at 04:36 PM. Reason: Please do not embed videos, post only links.
Mike - ?? When did this start? We've embedded videos on threads for as long as I can remember and I can't find any thread relating to this policy change? I'm so confused!!
Old 09-21-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good cartoon. I would not put sugar, caffeine, and white flour in the same category as alcohol, drugs, and gambling tho....
Old 09-21-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nata1980 View Post
Good cartoon. I would not put sugar, caffeine, and white flour in the same category as alcohol, drugs, and gambling tho....
It is absolutely in that category for me as a recovering binge eater with an eating disorder than developed while I was in elementary school.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
It is absolutely in that category for me as a recovering binge eater with an eating disorder than developed while I was in elementary school.
True - I did not mean to minimize food addiction side. Is is sugar/white flour only, or any food? My friend is recovering food addict and she has the same thing with sugar, not white flour though - she eats bagels like there is no tomorrow (it's my running friend). I guess my point is as long as kids don't perceive sugar and caffeine as "bad" per se that's all good.

I realize now that excercize (endurance running) may be my addiction. Having to single parent took care of that - just no time for 15+ miles runs every weekend. I also went through obsessive healthy eating stage - or plant based only. All in all any type of strict dieting and excessive excercizing are not healthy for me. I have noticed since I parted ways with XAH my relationship with exercise and food improved - I no longer feel bad after eating chocolate or skipping a run. And I lost about 10 lbs - go figure.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh definitely it relates to all food, but I don't "overdose" myself on vegetables or proteins. I reach for starches & sugars because they trigger my dopamine receptors. (and they are typically accompanied with tons of fat)

Addicted to Fat: Overeating May Alter the Brain as Much as Hard Drugs - Scientific American