Does Antabuse not work for some??

Old 09-17-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Does Antabuse not work for some??

Anyone else have a loved one that drank while taking Antabuse? My husband did this today and experienced some effects but it didn't seem to be much and I worry that if he even continues to take it, the effects are not detrimental enough to even make him think twice, never mind abstain!

A little background: he was a functional alcoholic for years and went downhill around the holidays last year. He became very dysfunctional. He was just awful. He made promises to get help all winter, yada yada yada. Finally went to outpatient detox in early April, completed a two week session of group counseling and also started on 250 mg of Antabuse. He was doing great! No drinking for five months and we even went on vacation where everyone else was drinking alot. He was a different person and I was in heaven. He has never been one for counseling and after a few sessions he stopped going. He said he didn't like the counselor, he told me why and it seemed reasonable. I tried to get him to try a different one but he kept putting me off, telling me he was doing fine (he was) and felt no urge to drink. We moved last month and he has also been taking care of his mother who is now in a nursing home.
Out of the blue, he started drinking again and after a few days it has turned into vodkafest . He said he was disgusted with himself and would start taking the Antabuse again. He came home on Monday and was nasty. I thought he'd been drinking. He insisted he hadn't although he's only mean and nasty when he drinks. Sober, he's a peach. He only had one pill left and took it in front of me to prove he wasn't drinking. I was quite confused. A little while later he started yelling at me for "staring" at him and "judging" him. He said he felt as if he has to walk on eggshells (!!!) or I will think he's drinking. He was very mad and went to bed and wouldn't eat dinner. The next morning, he was apologetic and admitted he had been drinking. I asked "wtf??" with the Antabuse and he shrugged and said he "didn't feel that great". But he looked ok and went to work with no problem.
So we decided he must need to take 500 mg and he called doctor, He ended up talking to the nurse and the doc hasn't called back but it was yesterday early afternoon that he called. So he took the 500 mg. Last night he had a bad headache and I pointed out that he had put vinegar on his fries. I thought "Oh good, it's working!"
Today I caught him at his office with a just-opened giant bottle of vodka. He had just had a few sips and admitted to having three drinks at the bar as well. Awesome! I drove him home and he had something to eat and in the middle of it started vomiting slightly and said he was going to die. I told him it was the pills, and he said no, he was going to die and why wasn't I upset about it?? I offered to call 911, he declined, but insisted the end was near. I told him I'd read online that people feel that way on Antabuse but he was ok. Finally he felt better. The entire episode was over in about 15 minutes, after which he seemed no worse for the wear and even ate a piece of cake and played with our child for awhile. Now he's out like a light and has been for two hours.
That's it?????? I thought the Antabuse was supposed to be AWFUL. Seems like a minor inconvenience to me. I've had hangovers that were WAY worse and I've been known to drink like a pirate on occasion. So are there some people who are resistant to this stuff? Anyone else see or experience this? I know taking this isn't supposed to be a long-term solution but it'd be nice if he could use it to get his **** together again, which he claims to want to do.
(Sorry this was so long, thanks for reading.)
Old 09-17-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I don't have any personal experience with Antabuse, but most medications have different effects on different people. Vinegar isn't alcohol, so I don't see how he'd have a reaction to that. I've never heard of anyone getting a reaction from anything but alcohol.

Some alcoholics are willing to endure much more unpleasant things as a result of drinking than they would get from Antabuse. Guess if he really wants to stop he's going to have to actually do the work involved in getting sober.
Old 09-17-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Maude. Welcome to SR. I am so glad you found us.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about antiabuse. I hope someone chimes in with some more knowledge.

I hope you are taking care of yourself. This is very tough stuff to go through!
Old 09-18-2016, 12:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

So if I understand correctly, the extent of his recovery work was 2 weeks of group counseling and then going on the Antabuse. From everything I have ever read or heard, here or anywhere else, true recovery for an A involves so much more than this. The info I got at Drugs.com, a web site I used often when I was a medical transcriptionist, said this: Antabuse is used together with behavior modification, psychotherapy, and counseling support to help you stop drinking. This medicine is not a cure for alcoholism.

Every other site I checked said some variation on that theme, too. I'd guess that there wasn't much actual "recovery" going on since all he was doing was taking the meds (or at least seeming to do so). It sounds as if it was just a lot of white-knuckling on his part, which doesn't usually end well.

As far as the medication itself "not working", there are a number of threads here on SR on that topic. Here are a few to get you started, as well as some discussion from that Drugs.com site:

https://www.drugs.com/answers/i-do-n...ng-346031.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-get-sick.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...t-working.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-campral.html

And Lexie, I found the following when researching Antabuse:
You should not use Antabuse if you are allergic to disulfiram, if you have recently taken metronidazole (Flagyl) or paraldehyde; or if
you have consumed any foods or products that contain alcohol (mouthwash, cough medicine, cooking wine or vinegar, certain desserts, and others).
So I guess there is indeed concern for vinegar reacting w/Antabuse. That was news to me also.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I believe that the concern about vinegar is with "designer" vinegars .....which is why they are listed with cooking wines. The designer vinegars may have small amounts of other additives...like wine or other fermenting ingredients.
For example....my youngest son consumed lots of cucumbers with red wine vinegar on them, last week.....
I have prescribed Antabuse of lots of alcoholics, in the past....and regular vinegar was never considered to be forbidden......
Old 09-18-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I will just add my experience with Antabuse to this discussion.
At one time, I was the medical co-ordinator of a drug and alcohol program for a large HMO. (as a Physician Assistant).
After the patients were carefully evaluated to make sure that it was safe to take Antabuse...they were placed on it while they were attending an outpatient program and attending several AA meetings per week.....plus, seeing me, individually, along with their spouse (when possible)....
The Antabuse was considered to be one helpful "tool", only.
I explained that it could buy them time to make better decisions during the early recovery period when the compulsion to drink can feel OVERWHELMING!
For example....When t he strong urge to grab a drink comes....knowing that they will become violently ill...it is much easier to decide to call their sponsor/or go to an AA meeting, or (call me...lol)...or decide to push through the impulse....Knowing that they would have to wait a few days to drink...it bought them time to decide to do a constructive action, rather than to just grab a drink on impulse......
I saw it as a way to help someone who was already motivated, at some level, to maintain their sobriety.
It was a voluntary thing...if they wanted it. Some did.
I can also say, that if they were not committed to maintaining their sobriety....a person could find l ots of ways to not take the pill.
Actually, if there was a person who was trying to "fool" everyone..I would remind them that the compulsion to drink is very powerful, and that they might commit to doing 90 AA meetings in 90 days......and, that taking the Antabuse was their personal choice to do so, or not.....
Old 09-18-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, I don't think plain vinegar would be an issue, but there might be some "special" vinegars (as well as the other products noted) that could cause an effect. I think it still has to have some alcohol in it to produce the effect, from what I've read.

It is ONLY a crutch to help the alcoholic navigate those sudden overwhelming urges to drink. And if you aren't doing anything else, to make those urges go away, it's not going to do you a whole lot of good. Alcoholics who are forced into sobriety (even if it's self-imposed "force") never really learn how to live in a way that relieves the obsession to drink.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

a million years ago we had a buddy who was on antabuse but drank anyway.....i don't recall him getting violently ill, but he was pretty messed up to begin with so it was hard to tell what was what........

from what you describe, your AH does not sound like someone who is READY to EMBRACE sobriety.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your input. I agree that he needs to do alot more work to commit to his sobriety. I see antabuse as a first step, and was hoping he could use it to get back on his feet again, so to speak. He has balked about going back to therapy, but the other day I offered to go with him and he said he would go. Making an appointment tomorrow, hopefully he follows through.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

maude....what ki nd of therapy?
Old 09-19-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Antabuse itself isn't really a "first step"--it's a way to stay clear-headed enough to actually start WORKING on sobriety.

I don't think going with him to his therapy session is a great idea. He's not going to be able to have a productive dialogue with the therapist if you're there. Looks to me like he has no interest in getting sober and he is doing all of this to get you off his back.

What are you doing for YOURSELF while he's futzing around with pills and "therapy"? I notice "we" decided he needed to be on a higher dose of antabuse. And on your other thread you posted about checking on whether he's drinking and wanting to confront him when you have proof he's drinking (as you suspected). His recovery--if he chooses to actually do it, which seems pretty iffy at this point--is his business. He doesn't need a co-pilot.

There's a lot you could be doing for YOURSELF, though, that would help you get the focus where it belongs--on you and your life, rather than managing his.

Please check out Al-Anon.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

maud....as desperately as I know you want him to stop drinking....nothing you do by twisting his arms will work....It just provides him a l ittle more leverage to use to avoid losing the status quo. to get you off his case...
You are not equipped to help him with h is sobriety. No family member is....

Right now...drinking is not his "problem"...(it is his solution)...
His drinking is YOUR "problem"....it is not your fault, but it IS bothering you.....
The best way to help him to rake responsibility for himself is to get out of his way and take your hands off of him.....
In the end, he will do what he is going to do....regardless of what YOU want, or what you do....

His alcoholism is much more powerful than you are (or he is).
Only HE can face it and decide, or not, if he wants to reach for recovery....
If/when he decides he wants sobriety (true sobriety)...he will be willing to do what ever it takes...and, wild horses won't stop him....

Meanwhile, take care of your own life and your own welfare...not matter what it takes.....
Old 09-13-2022, 10:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Antabuse had absolutely no effect on me. I was curious (stupidly) to know how sick it'd actually make me so I had a salad drenched in vinegar. Nothing, later I decided to have a drink. Nothing. Another drink. Nothing. Luckily I'm in counseling now and a medication like Antabuse isn't really needed anymore. That's just my personal experience with it.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Maude, I am sorry you are in this situation. He does not want to be sober enough to do the work. It looks like you are trying to do it for him. I am sorry but that will not work, pills or no pills. I hope he makes the decision to get sober, but until he does, nothing will keep him that way.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The original poster has not been online here since 2017, but I hope this information will help others in her situation!
Old 10-31-2022, 01:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Unknown work of disulfiram

I don't know (still) how this forum works, but I read this many times on different pages. Someone is checking to take the pill, but there is no side effect.
- most of the ppl needs a few days to fill up herhis blood with the drug, then it starts to work, and many cases who wants to cheat skips a few days when he has possibly and then takes the pill in front of you and nothing will happen. It's not advertised anywhere of course, but me and my friend has the same experience. Till the third day you are more or less safe. After long taking the med most of the ppl needs min 5 days to feel the used relief, 3 is not really enough. Taking 250 mg from it can cause some of the patience can drink on it. I read bigger amounts also, but most of us can drink one or two shots. It is an answer for all the wife (husband) who doesn't understand what is going on. This is going on.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND TO DRINK ON ANTABUSE BECAUSE MOST OF THE PPL HAS SRTONG SIDE EFFECTC ON A VERY LOW AMOUNT ALSO.
But on the first day it is more than impossible unfortunately. This is how they gaming with you. I am sorry to say this.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My psychiatrist prescribed Antabuse, but I never took it. He said Antabuse doesn't have a very high success rate and isn't used much anymore.