OT/Cut my own hair!!

Old 09-16-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT/Cut my own hair!!

HA! HA HA HA HAAAA!!!!

I have struck another blow for freedom!

I have worn my hair very short for a lot of years, and I really like it that way--minimal care, not in my way, suits my style. However, I refuse to spend a lot on getting it cut, and those Cost Cutters type of places never want to cut it as short as I want it, even when I am specific about using clippers and even which attachment I want for top versus sides.

XAH and I bought clippers and cut each others hair for many years--he didn't have a lot to cut, and my cut was so simple. However, once he moved out, I was still asking him to cut my hair for me once every 2 months or so. I began to really hate this, partly b/c I didn't want to depend on him for it and partly b/c it seemed like it was taking longer and longer (his hands are now unsteady, altho he'd never admit it...).

And that brings me to my triumphant moment, almost as good as when I learned how to use the snow blower--I just got out the clippers and cut my own hair! As far as I can tell, it looks about the same as when he did it, so I'm happy.

The cut is similar to this, altho of course I don't have those lovely facial features:

Old 09-16-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You simply ROCK honeypig. You are SO inspiring in the ways that you reach out & grab your independence.

LOVE this post!!!

Old 09-16-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, FireSprite--it's the little things, really, isn't it?

And I saved $15, so I can get a sushi treat tomorrow night or some other little whimsy...
Old 09-16-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't let honeypig fool you, friends. She is beautiful, with an enviable bone structure and a light that glows from within.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh, Wisconsin, you are so sweet to me...

Thanks for sending the love my way!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I cut my own hair for a few years--I had VERY short hair, too, but not a buzz-cut-type deal. It's much easier to do with short hair than longer cuts--I wouldn't dare try to do my own, now. It's still fairly short, but sort of complicated the way it's cut--longer/angled in the front.

Enjoy!
Old 09-16-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh, I would never have tried cutting my own hair if it was a longer style; I agree, you need a pro for that kind of thing! But since I've never had outstanding hair in any way--straight, medium brown (now w/gray temples), nothing special--I'm just as happy to have this minimalist 'do and leave the flowing locks to those whose hair is their crowning glory!
Old 09-16-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

LOVE IT!! See...short hair sounds like the more difficult self job to me....

I have cut my own off and on since I was a kid.....well, since my mom gave my red hair the 'Little Orphan Annie Home Perm' in 5th grade....and I became terrified of anyone near my hair.

I still cut it here and there, but my hair is big, long, curly, and hasn't seen a comb since 1997.... and very forgiving of unevenness. What talent you have!!
Old 09-16-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

add me to the cutting my own hair club! i have curly/wavy hair, now just about to my shoulders......thankfully very forgiving hair if you do an "oopsie" and i actually had someone ask if they could take a picture of my hair so their stylist had something to go by......

as far as doing stuff by yourself, instead of relying on the other half, i have just started to realize that i don't NEED hank for as many of things i THOUGHT i needed him for.........i stilll can't operate a drill with much skill....but i know how to USE it....i have trained myself to try the SCREWDRIVER first, BEFORE the butter knife....i can order a new multi-part clothes rack AND put it together, without any extra pieces leftover AND be able to rearrange some of our storage so our spare room is no longer a secondary TOOL storage facility.

sure, it IS nice having a handy strong man type person to tackle the heavy lifting, or yucky stuff......but it is also too easy to hand over more and more of the tasks and "forget" we too have power. and skills. and ingenuity.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You go honey!!! I wish I could cut my hair. It is long, almost to my butt. I would love to throw in a Big Bang but fat chance I would get that right! Too much hair... I need to have it done.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Anvil, I will never forget your week of projects while your other half was out of town--those were some great posts!
Old 09-17-2016, 03:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Honeypig....how I wish that I could do the same! One time, I had my hair cut in a very short shag...sort of l ike a long pixie....and it was so easy to take care of....
But, I don't think I have that special bone structure and profile that it requires....
My mother in law had her hair cut like yours for as long as I knew her...because she liked the convenience.....and, it really suited her.....

My husband had georgous "execu tive hair"....and I trimmed it for him to save money....