I put my life on the back burner- and now I'm paying for it

Old 09-13-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I put my life on the back burner- and now I'm paying for it

Today is the day I was going to start applying for new jobs and schedule my CPR & first aid training (mine expired on mat leave). My Maternity Leave ends on October 15th. I was also going to get an updated criminal record check so I can have it sooner.

I started with the record check at the police station - they're 6 weeks behind and I have to put the exact company I'm applying to, and position I'm applying for. This means I'll have to spend $45 for every place I'm applying for the same paper that shows I have a clean background. I put that on the back burner and will do it when a potential employer requests it.

I ended up searching for jobs. I saved a few that I liked and decided it's time to get my resume ready and spruce up my portfolio. I updated my resume and went looking for my portfolio (a binder that contains my resume, diplomas, several certifications, drivers abstract, letters of recommendation from teachers and clinical co-op supervisors, and my Registry number.)

IT'S GONE! I lost or misplaced my portfolio. I can't apply to jobs without all or any of my credentials. If I did get an interview I wouldn't even be looked at without those things and would likely blow future opportunities.

I normally am very organized. I let things go a bit when his drinking was out of control and just started putting back the pieces.

This means I have to return to a job that I hate where I was treated very poorly, especially while I was pregnant. Not to mention, there were things in my portfolio that I'll never be able to obtain again, and everything else in it will cost money to get.

I told my RAF and he is being very supportive. He said we can discuss it more when he gets home and he will have a look to see if maybe a second pair of eyes might help. I don't think it will. I've emptied every closet, every drawer... everything.
I've been very stressed about returning to work for the past few months. The worrying about his drinking, and leaving my daughter in his or anyone else's care was really stressing me out.

So I neglected to be prepared.
I put my life, my needs, many things on the back burner to focus on him and his drinking, and now I'm going to have to spend at least a few months at a job that I despise.

Lesson learned.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Okay. Deep breath. I absolutely hate it when I lose stuff, and I make myself and others crazy searching for it. Good for you for recognizing that the record check should wait until an interested potential employer is in the picture. Can you obtain duplicates of the certificates, abstract, etc. that you need? Recognizing of course that this will take time and that you will likely have to work at a job you dislike for a while. Note that I said, " for a while." Not presuming here, just trying to help. Even crappy jobs are tolerable when you know you won't be doing it forever. And, hey. Give yourself a break. You are a new parent. That is HUGE! And you have been dealing with the chaos that accompanies living with alcoholism. Also big, big stuff. Hold on to the feeling that came across in the first paragraph of your post. That person is strong and ready to roll. That person is you.

Last edited by Maudcat; 09-13-2016 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 09-13-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can get duplicates for my diplomas. It costs about $15 each but I can order replacements and wait for them to come.
I'm not sure about my food handling certificate or any of the others. There's about 5 or 6 little certificates and I'll have to look into replacing or re-doing.
I'm a personal support worker.

When I was pregnant I got very sick. I had morning sickness for 9 months, bad sciatica, and something called pubic symphisis disorder which basically means your a joint in your pubic area is unstable during pregnancy. I vomited on a patient on two occasions, and couldn't move around very well. Bending and squatting and lifting was so painful. I could hardly dress myself- let alone dress others. My doctor put me on modified duties which my work did not accommodate or respect. So I applied for an office position. Many office positions opened up and with my seniority and experience I got it. They set my training start date as the last person to get trained beginning 5 months later. It was out of spite. I was receiving comments from my supervidor like "I have no sympathy for you, I worked right up until my due date!" I made the mistake of posting what she said to me on facebook (and didn't reveal her identity or mention names) and I was called into a meeting with a table of 5 superiors threatening action against me. I called my union rep and when she asked why that was said to me, they excused it saying it wasn't meant in that context. We filed a grievance and they denied it. We filed a dispute for the letter they put in my file and they denied that as well. Then a patient found out I was pregnant and unwed and started making rude comments to me. She didn't want me caring for her anymore. I reported things she said and my superiors laughed like it was nothing. This patient started making false complaints about me, trashing my reputation and I was being called into HR constantly with false accusations. I finally went to my doctor and explained what they were putting me through and he put me on leave. I haven't been back since.
When I return I will be returning as an assistant (office staff) for the same supervisor that said the nasty comment, who refused to accommodate my doctor's orders, and who also made comments about me being unwed.

A friend of mine who still works there told me this manager has been forced to go through sensitivity training since I've been on maternity leave and is going through her third investigation because of her treatment toward my fellow co-workers. I will be sharing an office with her, and be serving her.

It'll be hell going back there... but I'll get through it.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, this does not sound fun. At all. Sorry for your situation. Do you have friends there? Some kind of support? Sounds like the supervisor may be on her way out, or, at least, others are aware of the shenanigans. Hold on to the positive and do your best. That's all you can ask of yourself.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kissed, you work in a union workplace. I would lean on them wholeheartedly. That's why you pay those dues. Keep them apprised of what's going on especially when you share the office with the bully. Stand up for yourself, you're worth it. Hugs.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The union has failed to rid us of her so far but I'll be sure to file grievances and make sure there's a paper trail.
I wouldn't call any of my co-workers friends. Just aquaintances. There are nice people but it's kind of a business of being out for yourself. It's home care so you work alone visiting patients and doing one on one care.
I'm sure I'll get through it.