SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   OT--Vacation adventures (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/397128-ot-vacation-adventures.html)

LexieCat 09-05-2016 09:39 AM

OT--Vacation adventures

OK, so I'm down here in the Outer Banks for a one-week vacation--booked this AirBnb cottage late last winter/early spring, as a planned relaxation/writing getaway for the second major part of my Year of Lexie.

I was keeping an eye on the hurricane news. Originally planned to get a VERY early start Saturday for the 7-8 hour drive, but decided to wait a bit and hopefully miss the worst of the storm. I carefully packed EVERYTHING I thought I might need, and even included a solar charger, etc., in case power went out. Feeling very well-prepared, I headed down around 10 am.

The drive wasn't bad, for the most part. It was a little scary driving over some of the long, LONG bridges, where the ocean level had risen almost to the bottom of the bridge, and you could feel the wind hitting the car. No super-heavy rain--I had to put the wipers on high speed for just 15 minutes or so here and there, and much of the trip there was little or no rain.

There was some deep water in spots on the road, as well as blowing sand, once I got near my destination (southern part of Hatteras Island). I had a bit of trouble opening the lockbox and had to call my host (who lives across the street), but finally got it open and carried in my stuff. As I was unpacking my electronics, I had a sinking realization. I had brought both my personal and my work laptops (have a presentation I need to finish up for a training we're doing next week), but I didn't bring a charging adapter! I called my host, who actually DID have an extra adapter for a Mac, but it was the wrong style--and I didn't have with me the small adapter-adapter that would make it work with my Mac. So, after searching availability, it looked like my options were (a) drive 2.5 hours each way to the nearest Apple Store in Virginia Beach or (b) order it from Apple or Amazon with the soonest possible delivery Wed. or Thurs.

Since the whole POINT of this vacation was to do writing, (b) was not a good option. So I ordered the adapter online and planned to be AT the store when it opened at 11. So, another lovely drive up and back to get the adapter. The Apple Store dude was a hottie with long, sun-streaked wavy hair in his mid-20s, who chatted with me about surfing in Hatteras--he was sympathetic to my long drive.

So I get back to the cottage, and holy crap, there was almost too much water in the street to drive through. Correction, there WAS too much water in the street to drive through, but I did anyway, cringing at what the salt water was doing to my new post-collision paint job. This time, the KEY wouldn't open the bottom door lock--my neighbor came over and finally managed to get it to work (though we concluded that from now on I should lock only the top lock).

No sooner did I make it in than my host texted me to suggest I put my car at the end of the street, as it was NOT good to drive through the water. I asked if I should leave it where it was, now that I'd parked it on dry land. He said, "Probably should move it--it's going to get worse before it gets better, and high tide is at 10 tonight and again at 10 tomorrow morning)." He apologized for the inconvenience but suggested I move it now. I told him the hurricane wasn't his fault, and I'd move the car.

I figured any errands better be done NOW, since it wouldn't be fun wading through the water on the street to get back and forth. So drove back through the water (which was up to my lower calves), and found a car wash the next town over, and had it thoroughly washed (body shop guy said no wax for a month--he didn't say anything about salt water baths), including undercarriage. Found a grocery store and picked up a few things I needed, and then parked at the end of the street and waded back to the cottage.

This morning I slept in till almost 10, and the water was even HIGHER. There were guys on styrofoam boats picking up trash for trash day. I discovered I had no dishwashing detergent for the dishwasher, and when I texted my host he offered to "paddle some over." I told him no rush, we can wait for the water to go down, and he said he'd bring some by at 4 when it's low tide.

So. It hasn't gone exactly as planned, lol. But for now, I have what I need, and hopefully the water will recede over the next few days. I haven't even gone down to the beach, as I'd have to wade through deep water to even get to the sand. The cottage is cute, I have the windows open, and it's nice and quiet.

SeriousKarma 09-05-2016 09:46 AM

I can't get over the utter "coolness" of the locals there. I'd be freaking out if I had to paddle anything anywhere.

Can you post a few pictures?

LexieCat 09-05-2016 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
View out my front door this morning:

LexieCat 09-05-2016 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And a view down the other end of the street:

LexieCat 09-05-2016 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And alongside my cottage (toward the back):

FindingAmy 09-05-2016 10:09 AM

i absolutely love your post. it is such acceptance of it is what it is and you made the most of it. i totally believe that every situation in our lives is neutral and it's all how we decide to look at it. this was so great, inspiring and so empowering. you go girl! enjoy the peace and quiet and i hope you get some writing done. be safe and enjoy.

LexieCat 09-05-2016 10:10 AM

BTW, my cottage is a little one-story, two-unit (side-by-side) house--not like one of those big things on stilts on the other side of the street.

honeypig 09-05-2016 10:11 AM

Yikes!! Although I suppose to the natives, it's no more of a big deal than a blizzard is to me and Wisconsin here in the Midwest--you learn how to hunker down and get thru it...

Hope your vacation doesn't get too much more "adventurous", Lexie!

SeriousKarma 09-05-2016 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by honeypig (Post 6122760)
Yikes!! Although I suppose to the natives, it's no more of a big deal than a blizzard is to me and Wisconsin here in the Midwest--you learn how to hunker down and get thru it...

You're probably right. Coming from California, I panic when I see one raindrop or snowflake, but I'm cool as a cucumber in an earthquake.

Thanks for the pictures, Lexie. (Actually, I was kinda hoping you'd post one of the wavy haired hottie.)

LexieCat 09-05-2016 10:58 AM

LOL, hey, the wavy-haired hottie was the universe's compensation to ME for the inconvenience of driving all the way up to Virginia Beach for a laptop adapter. I could have snapped his picture, but I've got the memory to soothe me. :)

Impurrfect 09-05-2016 01:25 PM

Lexie - You have the most awesome attitude when dealing with obstacles of anyone I know. Flooded basement? Got it. Flooded city? Got it.

Hope the rest of your week goes great and thanks for the reminder that we can get through anything:)

Hugs and prayers

LexieCat 09-05-2016 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Impurrfect (Post 6122967)
Lexie - You have the most awesome attitude when dealing with obstacles of anyone I know. Flooded basement? Got it. Flooded city? Got it.

Yeah, for someone not born a "water sign" I seem to have an inordinate number of issues involving water. Let us not forget the refrigerator ice maker leak into my basement, and the broken washing machine hose that flooded into my main floor living area. Oh, and my near-drowning on my trip to Fiji. (Needless to say I don't plan on going any distance INTO the water here right now!)

Well, it's 4:30, and supposedly "low tide" but I can't see that the water has gone down a whole lot. I think it will just take a few days for the roads/yard to dry out, once the tide isn't flooding it anymore.

Oh, well, got no place I need to be. It's pleasantly cool outside and I'm keeping the windows open so I don't need to listen to the noisy air conditioners.

Impurrfect 09-05-2016 02:05 PM

Dang, I'd forgotten about the episodes but my mind was saying "what IS it with you and water?!?!?"

Enjoy the rest of your vacation and the cooler weather. We're at 90 degrees and I'm staying inside with the a/c.

Hugs and prayers

shockozulu 09-05-2016 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by SeriousKarma (Post 6122792)
You're probably right. Coming from California, I panic when I see one raindrop or snowflake, but I'm cool as a cucumber in an earthquake.

Thanks for the pictures, Lexie. (Actually, I was kinda hoping you'd post one of the wavy haired hottie.)

Same here. When Northridge hit I was less than 100 miles from the epicenter. I was in my doorway before I was even awake.

Rain? What's that SeriousKarma? :lmao

Refiner 09-05-2016 04:13 PM

Very cool you're making the best of it! Having just spent a week camping at the Grand Canyon without having cell or internet service there, it's amazing how dependent we've become on our electronic communication!

redatlanta 09-05-2016 04:55 PM

We got hit by Hermine at our beach house. Lost end of the dock, other than that all fine.

The nice thing is - very cool winds afterward. Its even cool in hell on earth atlanta. So I hope you get the same experience Lexie - those tides should subside soon.

have a great time!

gbriezy 09-05-2016 05:05 PM

Hehe. I really enjoyed this story (not at your expense of course!). Hoping you have a relaxing trip for the remainder of you vacay.

LexieCat 09-05-2016 05:28 PM

It's 73 degrees here right now, with a brisk ocean breeze. Good thing there's good ventilation. I cooked a hamburger patty for dinner and it set of the smoke alarm. Took about 30 seconds for the place to get FULL of smoke (must have been grease on the frying pan or something), but I opened the windows and front door, and turned on a box fan to blow the smoke outside. All's well.

Given the Venice-like surroundings here, I'm VERY glad I didn't plan to eat "out" this week. I brought a bunch of stuff from home and picked up a few more things at the nearby grocery store. The grocery store is so famous, they sell sweatshirts with their name on it. It had great write-ups--apparently they've been in business (family-owned) for 50 years. They had a nice little deli section, and a great selection of EVERYTHING in a very small space. All kinds of gourmet goodies, too, if you're inclined to get fancy (I'm just concentrating on sticking with my diet).

I do want to go out for a couple of fresh seafood dinners later in the week when the roads are more navigable.

My original plan was to stay down here till Sunday, but given that I have to leave for a work trip on Monday, I'll probably leave Saturday so I have one day to wash clothes and decompress (and dry out!), get my car washed, etc.

53500 09-06-2016 07:05 AM

Wow Lexie, what an adventure! You and the locals have a great attitude.

I'm from NY and drove in snow and ice for decades. Hated it but I did it. When I moved to L.A. and saw people freak out if it rains for five minutes I laughed. But now, having been here almost 20 years, I freak out when it rains for five minutes.

Great pics, hope the rest of your trip goes well.

Lilro 09-07-2016 09:48 AM

Have a great trip Lex. Relax, enjoy....