exhaustion is knocking

Old 09-03-2016, 10:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

exhaustion is knocking

Been a long time since I posted but I lurk quite often. I had cancer this year and after the most painful surgery in my life my AH left me in a hotel room having just been released from the hospital and returned 2 hrs later completely incoherent. I think this is when the realization really started. My husband of 20 years is a high functioning, highly paid, highly successful alcoholic. People look to him to solve all their problems .....if they only knew. I have never felt more alone in my life than that night but I survived and I am better for it. In that one moment I realized I will make it no matter what, I can and will take care of myself. Of course this holiday weekend started off with a bang and came crashing down with a fizzle. My AH hid in his man cave to get drunk. I left with my kids 19 & 16 and we went to see a movie. They asked what was wrong with their father and I told them. I can't believe I actually told them I can't lie anymore I'm done. I'm tired of living in shame, fear and uncertainty. These past 2 years have been years of major growth for me. I am self sufficient with a new found confidence that I don't want to spend my years like this. Its funny how God puts people in your lives that you need. I unloaded on a new friend (1year) of my dark secret turns out she too is married to an A. I no longer feel alone, I feel sad but resolved. I am done shortchanging myself and my life for someone who only loves himself. I am done making excuses for the man I thought he was. I am done taking less than what I am worth. I am done feeling lonely and rejected. I am done with the drama that he brings into our family. I am done with listening to everyone tell me how successful and great he is. I am at peace with the fact that I am enough even in this cancer ridden body. I am enough for me and the people who love and respect me. I am strong, resilient, smart, sassy and capable. I am a warrior and for those who can't see or appreciate me .......they are no longer enough.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

viola....I do t.hink that there is a moment in time when we just know that it is over, and it is impossible, after that, to unknow it...
It certainly was for me...and I have never changed my mind....

I know what you mean about the public adoration of "successful" men (people), who, privately, do not treat their own family with respect.
I think it is far more common than is known...

I hope that you gather the support that you need....
The more support, the better..
Old 09-04-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi- and congratulations to you for your attitude and battle with this cancer. It's hard enough with a fantastic support system, but I can't imagine it with your husband.

My XAH of 18 years was high functioning, made great money, had an excellent facade and appeared well liked...

Pretty quickly all of a sudden his life caught up with him and he was fired, divorced, and doesn't speak to any of his friends- cut everyone out rather than deal with reality. A's are not as happy as we think, living the lies and hating themselves.

I can tell you from the other side--when I said "enough" and stopped lying--in many ways I felt peace like I hadn't in years...and then the $hitstorm started. He won't like it, and you'll KNOW it, but do what feels right to YOU. And get as much support as you can--people want to help.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Amass all the support you can around you Viola and keep taking baby steps towards an alcoholic free future. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I also have a high-functioning STBXAH. I left 3 months ago after I had symptoms of a heart attack and he refused to help me. That was the last straw. I had become accustomed to living with an A and thought I could be happy continuing to live with him but I realized I couldn't trust him. One of the tough parts beforehand was who do I talk to? It seemed disloyal and gossipy to talk with anyone- and I felt ashamed when I told my best friend because of that- so I decided to see a counselor. Once I made plans for a different life, I told my closest friends and they all helped me.