Cried at work

Old 08-30-2016, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cried at work

Got upset talking to my boss about staffing. Insomnia for the past 3 nights not helping.

What do i do now? What do I say? Help
Old 08-30-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Define "talk about staffing" and why the conversation is frustrating. IMO - HR related convos usually are...
Old 08-30-2016, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I'd wait a day or two, until you're feeling very solid again, and go to your boss and apologize for getting emotional. It isn't a sin to cry, but nobody likes it in the workplace--cry-er or anyone else. Just say you were having a rough day, but now you're ready to deal with it.

Or, if there doesn't seem to be any lingering concern, say nothing at all. I think what you DON'T want to do is to seem either completely mortified or over-apologize or over-explain.

I've had it happen to me, it can happen to just about anyone. Don't make a bigger deal out of it than it was, and it will pass.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

F,
Sending hugs my friend. Sometimes the stress can get to us. Deep breaths, and reboot. You can do this!!!
Old 08-31-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went no contact with the ex and 2 weeks later my dad passed away. Crying at my desk was a daily occurrence for a couple months early this year...luckily the bathroom is 10 steps from my desk, and my boss is more than understanding.

There's nothing wrong with telling your boss you are having a hard time - they fall upon EVERYONE, and your boss will probably relate. It also might set you up to take some personal days in the near future if you need them for your court stuff with your STBXAW.

Hang in there - get yourself some sleep! Exercise, meditation and reading help with me sleep. Stress sucks, but you are setting yourself up for an ending to a good chunk of it!
Old 09-01-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, this is what ended up happening:

After the day I cried, went home and got some sleep. I was pretty mad at my boss, he kept saying "we decided" when I agreed to no such thing, and in fact had specifically said new hire wasn't a good fit for my team. Icing on the cake, he took my best person and put her under a different manager. Felt as if I'm being set up for failure.

Next day, I wanted things to cool off but he schedules a meeting with me. UGH.
I stuffed a bunch of tissues in the notebook I was carrying (just in case).

I managed to control my emotions and explained my position again. He was a lot more willing to listen this time (although he didn't change anything). I asked him to take the weekend to think about it.

Anyway, I tried to employ all of the above advice. Thanks for the help, everyone.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I recently cried in a job interview.

Yes, I did.

The question was asked about what my co-workers would think of me and knowing that we were all just laid off and that we were a little family the emotions came over me and I couldn't control it.

I was mortified but the group interviewing me were all understanding.

On a good note - it did not stop them from wanting a second interview with me.

((hugs)) hope you feel stronger and better soon!