I have a crush

Old 08-30-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ohhh Kboys, you are singing my song! So good for you for recognizing the red flags.

I was talking to my therapist about this very topic. I summarized it as, "so, if I am attracted to a person, I should realize that's a bad thing, and if I find someone boring, that's a good thing?" She said, "Yes!"

Clear as mud. Welcome to co-dependency.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

From one "former" "bad boy lover" to another, I'm now with a "nice guy." Let me tell you-----it's a WOOORRRLLLLDDDD of difference and has so many more pluses
Old 08-30-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
Even with the second-line disclaimer, you scared the bejeesus out of me!!

Maybe it's just me, but even if a Victoria's Secret model was after me to meet up, if she had a history like that, I would run the other way.

Not criticizing, because your feelings are yours, but the thought of any sort of attraction to someone into drugs, jail, and DV - is haunting.
+1. Not if he were a world famous model, not a millionaire with a plane and a yacht.

What a dreamboat. DV, kids taken away, drugs....he is not a "bad boy", he is a human wreck. Of course he has to be "charming" - he appears to have nothing else going for him.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Take two aspirin and see how you feel tomorrow. Keep repeating until you get a real "yuck" feeling when you think about him.

Please forgive the crass nomenclature, but this is just temporary horniness. Do not act on it and you will be fine.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm a bad boy, I was late on my cable bill this month! How do you like me now???

Kboys - I'm happy to see you heard the warning alarms and didn't take it any further. We care about you.

COD
Old 08-30-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Kboys, think of it like this: thereŽs your heart with feelings of attraction telling you to go for it - and your brain with reasoning telling you No way! Luckily, youŽre an adult by now and you can choose which of them to listen to, neither of them has a hold over you if you donŽt want them to.
Attraction is just that - a feeling. It will fade away. Not so with reason and logic. IŽd say just go with the motions of what your brain is telling you. In time this attraction will come to its natural end and youŽll feel so much better for not listening to it.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It happens at a subconscious level. If you've learned as a child that love hurts, then you're going to look for partners who provide you with a lot of pain. Seems like your conscious mind is realizing this and that is definitely a step in the right direction.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

All joshing aside, a friend recommended to me once to write three pages in longhand of every thing I wanted in a partner. The first page was easy, by the third you're pretty much stretching for anything that moves.

When I read that document I realized that it was really a reflection of me and my values, and that it could also be a starting place for stuff _I_ wanted to work on. I said that he should love music, so I worked on pursuing that interest for myself. That he should be kind, patient and easygoing, so I tried, in my somewhat type A manner, to aim for the same thing.
What a great idea! I'm doing it!

I'm inclined to think that your HP threw this curveball your way just to show you how far you HAVE come in recovery.
I think this too - or maybe its a HP conducted test. I've had a couple since leaving the ex. ...I dated a cute cowboy, and he wasn't it. I saw reddish flags and that was enough for me. But before having the 'we're not it' talk, he came out shirtless while I was waiting for him to take me home from his place. I'm lonely - he's cute...and I am wholly convinced God was testing me to see if I am serious about making better choices I passed, and you will too!
Old 08-31-2016, 08:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

So did you tell him that you would not be calling him?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
But before having the 'we're not it' talk, he came out shirtless while I was waiting for him to take me home from his place. I'm lonely - he's cute...and I am wholly convinced God was testing me to see if I am serious about making better choices I passed, and you will too!

I had a shirtless neighbor prancing around. Wanted to buy him a t-shirt. Also passed God's test with flying colors. Or perhaps it was devil's temptation? Or perhaps it was the neighbor's cunning plan?

Anyway, trust your gut feeling. If you hear the alarm bell, you know what (not) to do.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Holy Crap K!!! My heart hit the floor reading the first sentence. Ummmmmm????? A big OH HELL NO!
Old 08-31-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I like the idea that it is my HP throwing me a curveball to show me how far I've come I have!
Although the attention from him did feel... nice, for a minute, I really didn't feel much temptation if any to actually call him or follow through with anything more...

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
So did you tell him that you would not be calling him?
I didn't on that day, but last night I got a facebook friend request and message from him, asking me again, if I wanted to "hang out sometime". I told him thank you but I didn't think it was a good idea, and right now I just really want to focus on myself and my kids....

He messaged back and said he understood but the "offer stands if you're ever ready"...

I suppose I could have been more firm? And I can if he persists, but I don't think he will.
I just left it at that... I'm glad I did that and am pretty proud of myself for it.

Thanks everybody for the reinforcements and encouragement.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good job on not saying, "Not if you were the last LOSER on earth!"

Some things just go without saying.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Kboys - good for you. I wonder if I am not firm enough, either.This sounds terrible coming from me because I am still married. Guys (coworkers for example) KNOW that, but still make passes... continually. It's like I put off a vibe that my marriage is in serious distress, and they know to come running. And, if I were single, these would be exactly the guys I would need to avoid.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

In my experience it is best to be clear and firm. Not rude, but no weaseling. "Thanks but that's not a good idea." "I appreciate your offer but I have to decline." End. No maybe sometime later......and you can also say "I don't want to discuss it further."
These guys will take notice if you waffle- and will gladly take advantage of any sign of weakness. Just my humble opinion.....sounds like you guys got this
Old 09-01-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nata1980 View Post
Of course he has to be "charming" - he appears to have nothing else going for him.
HAHA, I love this!! Sums it up nice and easy.