Biting My Tongue - Hard

Old 08-29-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Biting My Tongue - Hard

Sorry for multiple posts today, but the two ideas are separate.

So, last night AW told me about a friend's brother who was very intelligent but got mixed up in drugs, was in rehab, got out then OD'd. She says, "How can jeep that from happening to DS?" I said, "By doing all we can to raise him the right way, keep God in his life, do our best, and that's all we can do."

I also wanted to say, "By keeping him away from any sort of addiction - which would mean removing you from this house" - but I didn't say that.

Then she says, "You know I'm a control freak and want ro shove him back in my belly where he can be safe and we can protect him." I said, "Being over-protective would only be counterproductive." Wanting to say, "If you are so damn controlling, then control what goes into your body every day." But did not. Biting tongue #2.

Oh, then I find her 20 minutes later passed out on the toilet (yes, you read that correctly) in the downstairs half bath. Pitiful.

I love my life.

COD
Old 08-29-2016, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Isn't it funny that they talk with no amount of any self awareness whatsoever?! She is pretty pitiful...I think you will have your hands full moving forward with the divorce-but full steam ahead, friend.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Something that took me a while to accept was that when I was having a conversation with the A when I assumed they hadn’t been drinking or at least not a lot………….I was still very much conversing with an alcohol soaked brain.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is she suggesting putting her/your son back in her belly to protect him? Wouldn't that just give him alcohol poisoning? Or did I miss something?
Old 08-29-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good job, COD. I'm looking forward to the day when you don't have to bite your tongue on a daily basis. Once she's out and the dust has settled, your life will be SOOO much more peaceful.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Not in her mind, because she hardly drinks at all!!!! Severe d-e-n-i-a-l

No, you didn't miss anything - she is just that far from reality.

Originally Posted by Sandraxia View Post
Is she suggesting putting her/your son back in her belly to protect him? Wouldn't that just give him alcohol poisoning? Or did I miss something?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One time my ex made a comment about his brother (also an alcoholic) after staying with him 'You have no idea what it is like being around an alcoholic. It's terrible.' This was after our divorce and his second rehab. I just smiled and didn't say a word - and it was easy enough to do because I was out and had given up on ever getting him and I to see things from the same perspective. It no longer mattered that we didn't.

It's been years and another inpatient treatment (close to two whole years of it) and sobriety and we still have vastly different experiences/memories/ways of processing events. Sometimes it's just that way. It is hard to imagine that we were so close and seemed like such a good fit at one time and to be honest - I think it was me that changed, not him.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's like when my AH was telling me a story about a guy at work who told him a huge saga about how he needed time off because of a sick family member but then it was discovered to be all a lie. He said to me "I just cannot believe this guy could lie to my face like that!" To which I responded "Yeah, pretty unbelievable that people are able to do that, huh? Sucks to be on the receiving end, doesn't it? Imagine if your partner did that to you consistently!!" To which he huffed and walked off.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ugg - my ex used to complain about how annoying super drunk people were around him. How annoying his pot smoking friend was. How ridiculous it was that his friend had to be high all the time.

At least the irony is not lost on us I suppose.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

She also made the comment: "Can't people see what they are doing to their bodies and just walk away?" Yeah, really. That was tongue bite #3. No wonder it's hard to eat today...

She's an ACoA, and she said to me once, "I don't want DS growing up with addiction like I did." Umm, he already is??? Previous tongue bite!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I think it was me that changed, not him.
I agree - some things just can't be "unseen" & once I knew better it really changed the way I heard conversations around me.

(((((COD)))))

passed out on the toilet (yes, you read that correctly) in the downstairs half bath
If I'm being honest, I can't even understand this ^^ & I know you've posted that she's done this multiple times. Once, ok. Again & again... what? How? How does she not wake up there & think, "wth!?"??
Old 08-29-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
Ugg - my ex used to complain about how annoying super drunk people were around him. How annoying his pot smoking friend was. How ridiculous it was that his friend had to be high all the time.

At least the irony is not lost on us I suppose.
Haha, "pot-smoking friend"! This is how my ex called his best ex friend! Are you sure my ex is not your ex???

Hilarious!
Old 08-29-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
She also made the comment: "Can't people see what they are doing to their bodies and just walk away?" Yeah, really. That was tongue bite #3. No wonder it's hard to eat today...

She's an ACoA, and she said to me once, "I don't want DS growing up with addiction like I did." Umm, he already is??? Previous tongue bite!
After going many many times to hospital in the past few months due to alcohol withdrawals and further complications, my ex told his boss after being criticized for missing work, "But I have to take care of my health first!"

This is a very tiny community, things still reach me.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm unsure why you bit your tongue.

Maybe you should have taken a picture, printed it out and stuck it on the door of the bathroom. "Setting a good example"!!!!

I know, she most likely would have deny deny deny. She's stressed and all.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I took a picture - it will be used come divorce time.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, it would be wasted on her, start an unnecessary, unproductive fight. Save it for something really useful--court is perfect.