He's Gone

Old 10-01-2004, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

He's Gone

For those of you who don't know, my H and I have been together for 30 years - 20 years married.

He came home to me drunk and started his drunken BS for the last time tonight. I packed him a bag and he left in a drunken fit of glory.

I am certain that this is right thing to do. I have been talking to him about the fact that I wanted him to move out for over a month and hoped to avoid having him leave when he was wasted. However, that's the way it worked out.

There was no screaming or crying from me. I just said "You know, it's time for you to go." There was plenty of screaming from him but I kept my side of the street clean.

I'm not sure how I feel right now. Relieved that this part is over - not looking forward to what is, I'm sure, to come. I know that I can handle whatever comes my way but still, it's daunting. I guess I feel more nervous than upset.

I hesitated to write here tonight because I don't want anyone to think that my way is the only way - it's not. This is the right way for me - I know that for sure because I have taken the time and done the work to get to the point where I know what I want for me. I've changed so much in the last year - definately for the better.

I decided that I wanted to write because I need the support of friends and I count you all as my friends.

Throw me some encouraging words if you would and keep both of us in your prayers.
Thanks - L
Old 10-01-2004, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lorelai,
Hugs to you it took alot of courage to make a decision for yourself . I am sending you strenth, hope, and encouragement for the road ahead of you. Best wishes to the both of you.
Rose
Old 10-01-2004, 07:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Lorelai,
I am adding you to my prayers. The act of him leaving is over but the pain of the loss has yet to begin. I had to ask my AH of 25 years to leave after a drunken rage. For the first few weeks my hurt and anger carried me, then reality hit that he was really gone and the pain and heartache began. I will pray for your strength and wish for you peace and hope in the upcoming trials.
Hugs
Kat
Old 10-01-2004, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Lorelai,

That is huge. HUGE! You will be in my thoughts with what is yet to come.

((Hugs))
JT
Old 10-01-2004, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Lorelai,
You took a difficult but necessary step. Now onto the next one.
You can definitely count on us as friends.
We are all here when you need us.
Hugs, love and light coming your way from me,
Gabe
Old 10-01-2004, 09:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
brightlight

((((Lorelai)))) I know it has to be hard. We will be here for you.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Don't regret your actions because you've finally decided to take care of you. Many prayers of strength and couage coming your way!
Old 10-01-2004, 09:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lorelei -

It sounds to me like you have known for a while that this would happen. You made yourself ready for it. Mine left the house in the back seat of a cop car and remained in jail until I packed up and left. It was heartbreaking to see what he had become and I think I was probably in a state of shock for weeks. In my mind I had been preparing myself as well. He binged for a month and each day was worse and worse and then he snapped. I knew that if he ever laid a hand on me that it would be the last time - and it was. I moved 600 miles away which has made it so much easier for me. Know that you did what was right for you. You'll have some tough moments but believe me, the sense of peace that comes from not living with the daily stress and anxiety is worth all the tough moments. I still care about him and wish him the best. I hope and pray that he can hang on to his new found sobriety but whatever happens, he will have to live whatever life he chooses without me. I like my new life, I enjoy being on my own and hope that you will find the same to be true for you.

Big hugs to you and know that we are all here for you.

Jo
Old 10-02-2004, 12:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lorelai,
I've been amazed at the way your natural wisdom has expressed itself over these last months - if you feel you've done the right thing, then you have. You handled your situation with real courage and compassion. You deserve the best.
Sa
Old 10-02-2004, 01:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Lorelai

Throw me some encouraging words if you would and keep both of us in your prayers.
Thanks - L

No need to give you words...you already posted them

"You did what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better.. "

You did what the facts you found told you was better for you.
For some that may be the better choice. For some, other ways may be the better choice. The choice is ours to make as we feel is the best to do.
People may always find fault no matter what choices we make.
You did what you feel you needed to do. May it be a choice that brings healing to you both.
Old 10-02-2004, 03:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lorelai - You are so courageous - to do what is right for you. I have betrayed myself so many times in an attempt to live with an AH. That is the worst betrayal of all. I lie to myself that things will change, that things will get better. I have not been trustworthy but have expected him to be. I have been faithless to me - to my beliefs, values, dreams. It sounds like you are making all the right steps to be the best friend to you that you can be. People come and go in our lives but everytime you turn around there you are. The road will not be easy but you are stronger than you know. Living all those years with an AH, you have gained wisdom and strength beyond what most people will ever know. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Live Strong
Old 10-02-2004, 05:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
believer

Lorelai,

When you were ready, you did what you needed to do to take care of yourself and your family. I know the upcoming weeks will be hard but you will be fine. I will keep you both in my prayers.

Hugs,
JG
Old 10-02-2004, 05:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Lorelai

If and when the time comes, we usually know it. That doesn't make it any less painful, but it does help us move forward.

The coming days may be difficult and sad for you, but just know that we're here and we care.

Hugs
Ann
Old 10-02-2004, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lorelai,

You did what you needed to do and you probably knew it was time.

We can only take so much.

Hang in there.

Ngaire
Old 10-02-2004, 06:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

(((lorelai)))
Old 10-02-2004, 07:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WOW - I asked for encouraging words and everyone sure delivered. Thanks to everyone who wrote - your words give me strength.

I do have peace with my decision. I'm not angry and I don't hate him. This really has nothing to do with him at all. It is entirely a decision based on what I want my life to be.

My HP has led me through so many lessons and helped me find so much understanding. I'm sure there are many more lessons to be learned in the coming months and I am, as always, a willing student.

Thank you all so much for being there for me. Every person on this board has helped me more than you will ever know. I am eternally grateful.
L
Old 10-02-2004, 07:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am praying for you. Rely on your HP for the strength you will need and take it one day at a time. I'm sending out big hugs to you. We'll all be here for you when you need us.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lorelai
This really has nothing to do with him at all. It is entirely a decision based on what I want my life to be.
Perfect.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

Lorelai,

I second the statement that your signature says it all. I copied it and shared it with several friends becase there is power in truth, and to me these words speak like a 900 lb gorilla - "You did what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better.. ."

One day at a time my dear, one day at a time.

Wishing you peace today,

Petunia
Old 10-02-2004, 07:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Lorelai,
I know how much soul searching you have done. I know that you have focussed on you and made the changes. You have done the work and trusted the process. Knowing that this is a step in your journey and not the solution to all your problems, you are going to get through this with much gained. You have my support as well as my respect. Hugs, Magic