Accidental injestion of alcohol

Old 08-17-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Accidental injestion of alcohol

Hi all - quick question. I bought a Japanese bread that had very small traces of something called "sake lees" which is the residue left over from production of sake. Not knowing that this was an ingredient because I can't read Japanese, I gave a piece to my sober husband. He didn't ask, or mention anything it but I had a feeling so I used a translation app and saw it had this in it. I didn't tell him so he has no idea. What happens in the brain of an alcoholic if a small amount is in eaten without the knowledge? I'm just worried that this will trigger a relapse.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guarantee it was already cooked out (like when you add wine to the sauce)

Don't worry about it
Old 08-18-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Nata. Dont worry about it at all!
Old 08-18-2016, 04:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nothing to worry about.

I cook with wine at times. No issues.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Cooking with wine in sauce doesn't always cook it all out, so in that case I would ask the alcoholic his/her feelings about it--BEFORE serving it. I, personally (recovered alcoholic) have no problem with it, but I know some people with VERY strong feelings (and a greater sensitivity to alcohol).

But baked goods are different--it's in an oven, for one thing, and you're also using some kind of residue that is a flavoring--not the alcohol itself.

I also think that, even in the case of a sauce or something that is accidental, it might be best not to mention it after the fact. There is such a thing as a placebo effect, wherein someone who would not otherwise be affected MIGHT be if s/he knew s/he had consumed alcohol.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Incidentally, "Cream of Tartar" is made from the residue of winemaking, and has no alcohol in it. This is probably a similar thing. It has a chemical effect on the baked product but that's it.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Oh, and one other thought. I've never heard anyone advise alcoholics never to consume anything with vanilla extract, though vanilla extract is VERY strong alcohol. Its use in an uncooked sauce would probably be ill-advised, but it's commonly used in cookies or baked desserts, and as I've said, never heard a warning about it.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Agree with the above- not a big deal and don't mention it to him. Maybe even moreso for the potential psychological "Fretting" than a possible placebo effect.

I say this for a few reasons (as the alcoholic) - I personally haven't ruled out things like cough medicine (though if I take it and taste the alcohol I highly doubt I'd continue taking it because the smell alone turns me off), I don't eat foods I KNOW have alcohol, ie vodka sauce which I do like (or did, dunno if I would now!). I also accidentally ingested alcohol last week in a bite of dessert at work - I think so anyway. I forgot that our bread pudding has a whiskey sauce on top; someone mentioned loving how sweet it was when they put alot on (I had said this one didn't seem that sweet to me) and I had just had a small corner bite with ice cream on it too. I thought through this whole thing a lot (and shared with my Feb class here) and ultimately decided: did I drink? no. did I even ingest alcohol? probably. Did I intend to drink or plan to seek out "hidden sources" ? No way. I put it in the category of my mental tolerance for drinking is pretty close to zero, and this was a remind to be ever-vigilant. I won't obsess about cookies/cake and vanilla extract, but I will be watchful of the obvious stuff (and of course, know the menu better at work!!).

He's ok; you're fine. Just don't eat that stuff again!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
totfit

Just in case, if you have not yet mentioned it to him, don't. If for any reason he happens to be at a not so strong point, he could use it as an excuse, then blame it on you. Not saying your husband would do such a thing, but from experience, that is how a typical addicted mind can work...........and he would have himself convinced as if the truth.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

sake lees, or sake kasu, is the yeast by-product after the pressing of sake. it does not contain alcohol and is widely used in a variety of recipes, from baking to marinades.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
sake lees, or sake kasu, is the yeast by-product after the pressing of sake. it does not contain alcohol and is widely used in a variety of recipes, from baking to marinades.
I learned something today!