Is he kidding?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think you have received some wonderful feedback and ESH here, AC. Anyone not trained in substance abuse counseling should not opine to a patient about substance abuse except to say "I think you should see a substance abuse counselor." And all that really matters FOR YOU is that the drinking is a problem FOR YOU.

My brother has had issues with drugs periodically throughout his adult life. He saw a substance abuse counselor for awhile, and they had discussions about substance addiction vs substance abuse. That counselor's position (as relayed to me by my brother, of course--it's anybody's guess if this is what was actually said) was that my brother had a serious substance abuse problem, but that he did not appear to be physically addicted to drugs at that point--and this distinction was ONLY relevant insofar as how they chose to treat is drug problem. He didn't need detox the way someone physically addicted to drugs would need detox. Stuff like that. But my brother NEVER interpreted it to mean that he had any less responsibility or incentive to seek recovery just because he wasn't (yet) physically addicted.