Cheap/Free Ways to Give Yourself a Treat

Old 07-11-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cheap/Free Ways to Give Yourself a Treat

I'm certain we've had threads like this before but thought it might be time to start a new one. What are some of the ways you've found to give yourself a treat w/o breaking the bank?

One I've just started doing this summer is hanging out all my bedclothes on the line once a week so I get that lovely sunny airy smell in them! Doesn't cost a penny and really makes me appreciate it when I lie down at night...
Old 07-11-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sometimes I go to the mall and put a few dollars in their massage chairs. Always bring bleach wipes with you to wipe the chair down first! LOL
Old 07-11-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've found more peace taking my dog for a walk than anything.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

HP..my mom has a clothes line. Sometimes I take my sheets there and hang them out just for the same reason, they smell so good!

My daughter got me a mask from Lush for mothers day, we like to give each other facials and paint out fingernails every once in a while. We try for that salon feeling at home LOL.

I got a credit on my Nook, so I used that for some cheap books. I LOVE to read. I live near the park, and every Friday night they have local musicians that come and play at this neat Rock Garden, I plan to go to a couple of those. There is a mini golf place that is showing free outdoor movies this summer, I just found out about it and plan to go to one of those. I missed Jaws the other day, that would have been a good one!

I like to putter around at the farmers market. There is a place that makes homemade soaps that they sell by the slice and lotion bars, that is a cheap and great treat. We have a fairly new dog park that I like to take my dog to. There is a State Park here with a great swimming lake, I like to go there with my girls.

Gosh, it's easy in the summer to do lots of nice and cheap things. My big project this year has been my back yard. I have a nice little patio back there, but it was not really landscaped very nice. I have spent TONS of time landscaping, planting, adding new borders, rock, mulch, flowers...the list goes on. I got perenials from my moms yard, she has a beautiful property, and replanted those in my yard. They are starting to really take off, and it makes me happy to sit back there and relax in my own pretty little yard, where I worked so hard to get it that way.

Writing these things out make me appreciate the small things, thanks HP for the thread.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

MMM - line dried sheets are my favorite!!

I love to make myself a single serve creme brulee from time to time. I call my neighbor and we bbq, or take a walk together. Texting my niece and nephew always ends up making me giggle. Kids are so fun. A fresh coat of fun colored paint on my nails gives me "happy fingers and toes" for the day. Taking my dog to the river to swim is awesome for both of us. Ooh theres so many - great thread!
Old 07-11-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Txjeepguy and firebolt, I just got back from taking my dogs for a walk and then a swim at the county park 10 minutes away from here. I finally bought an annual sticker and it is so worth it! The park has tons of trails that range from dark, moist and shadowy to open, sunny and wide to rocky, rooty and winding. The houndies just love walking there, and so do I!

There is a water-filled quarry w/a human beach and spots for dog swimming too. My little black terrier goes for a swim most days while the basset wades a bit. Today it was pretty hot, and he actually lay down in the water, which I think was a great idea for him!

The sticker cost $32, which sounds like a lot until you think about the fact that I can use it for 365 days each year at any county park...then it seems like a pretty great bargain!
Old 07-11-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love going to the public library. Free wifi, books and quiet. A little less so momentarily as they're doing a major renovation and it's kind of a pain. But besides being able to sit and read with DS, they offer free classes in one of the AV rooms. I took DS and one of his friends to a class on how to plan and make cosplay costumes.

2nd-run theaters are awesome. Well, the theaters themselves, not always, but the admission prices are. If there's a movie we want to go see, but I'm not too keen on paying full price, I'll wait until its playing at the "dollar theater".
Old 07-11-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Volunteer in your community. I know it doesn't seem like it's giving yourself a treat, but it can be.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A mini sized blizzard from DQ always works well in my books!! That sugar fix is necessary I find in the early days especially.

But also I’m going to throw out there… cleaning?

I know it doesn’t sound like a treat AT ALL – but I know in my drinking/using I’m never clean or organized, so when I’m sober I find a lot of enjoyment and appreciation for my efforts cleaning and organizing. It makes me happy to have a fresh, dust free, clutter free living space.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wish we still had a dollar theatre. Ours closed.

I did go see the Secret Life of Pets in a new theatre this past weekend, leather seats that recline...bliss. I was surprised to see that the ticket cost the same as at my regular theatre.

I also love having a clean house! I don't mind cleaning when I have time. My kids have helped out w/that this summer so that helps.

Love this thread!
Old 07-11-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

MNL and hopeful, I have kind of had a revelation about cleaning lately too. I can't say that I love to clean, or likely ever will, but changing my mindset has made it much more tolerable, and I sure do enjoy the feeling of living in a relatively neat, clean, organized space. That part is a treat for sure!
Old 07-11-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I love to mow the yard, which I will be doing after work tonight.

And I try to take a walk every night after putting DS to bed
Old 07-11-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

HAHA! don't have time to fart.

That made me laugh.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

DIY crafts out of recycled materials around the house. It is the creative aspect that I love.
Latest: I made storage bins out of the cardboard boxes that Alpo dog food comes in. I used some georgous burlap wrapping that a rug came wrapped in....
I covered the boxes with the burlap and elmers glue.
Looks better than those that are offered, retail!

I have also discovered that I can change any old planter with a layer of old textured stucco...then paint it with acrylic paint (diluted with water) after the stucco dries.
same thing with any lamp base that is unsightly.......

dandylion
Old 07-11-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I like to repot my plants and start new ones from the cuttings. It's rewarding to me to watch the roots grow in the water and then have a beautiful plant to give to someone. Always seems to perk people up, that's also rewarding.

Walk on the river.

I take a drive out where I grew up and just think.

Nothing beats clean house, crawling into bed to read after the boys are asleep.

Also, gathering eggs from the chickens. It's exciting to see how many they've laid each day.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Go for a drive alone. No music just the Windows unrolled and clear my head.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Pope on a Rope

The beach is a favorite of mine.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hikes
Sitting on the beach or near any water
Yoga
Free online meditations
A trip to the library
Find the nearest Rails to trails and walk or ride a bike
Have a board game night with family
Garden (at home or community garden)
Buy my favorite essential oil and just smell it when I feel stressed out
Bird watching
Borrow a friend's little ones for a few hours - gives her a break and reminds me of the joy through a child's eyes