SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   30 meetings in 30 days (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/394223-30-meetings-30-days.html)

LovelyKaya33333 07-08-2016 02:25 PM

30 meetings in 30 days

Hi guys,

I got really inspired last Sunday when I went to an alanon meeting that I usually go to ... There was a girl there from out of town ( she was on vacation ) and she decided that she wanted to do 30 meetings in 30 days. The next day I had my what I call "relapse" ... when I saw my exAB so it fell by the waste side as I licked my wounds over the last few days. Today I had the afternoon off of wok so I decided that I was going to go to a new meeting. I shared in there and listened and I decided that I would do 30 meetings in 30 days again... Thank you for all of your support. It has only been 1 full day of not engaging with him and I already feel better ( I think the almost 3 weeks thats I had before gave me some strength ) .... thank you all

FeelingGreat 07-09-2016 03:32 AM

If it works for you Kaya it can be the most comforting and supportive feeling in the world. Go for it.

August252015 07-09-2016 04:45 AM

Great idea! In AA, the mantra is 90 meetings in 90 days. I got close - maybe 75,80 - and lots of people find this is a great plan in many ways. New habit - distraction- using up even just an hour (try not to sit there texting and get distracted!). Other ideas- blocking/deleting his number - or as I did in the past with a couple of bf I wanted to "delete" from my life - and the one who was an abuser - is change his name. I put in "Liar 1" and "Liar 2" for the two numbers I had for one guy.

I found that finding a time that worked for me made it easier to go 5-7x a week, and having a "backup" time in mind if I couldn't make the noon mtg I fell into. I don't know about ACA/DF mtgs but in AA there are usually clubhouses/meetings that are more oriented around newcomers; you get lots of people in their beginnings.

Keep going - you have a great plan!

Ariesagain 07-09-2016 05:56 AM

What worked best for me was understanding the biochemical and socioeconomic aspects of alcohol addiction. Alcohol isn't a wonderful sophisticated thing that enhances lives...it's a toxic depressant chemical that is implicated in 60+ diseases and conditions, many of which are fatal. That toxic chemical is being pushed down our throats almost literally because it's incredibly profitable...beer and wine are largely water. So we see it everywhere...television, movies, grocery stores...in short we are brainwashed into thinking we're missing something when we don't drink and all we're missing is compromising our physical and mental health...not to mention our finances.

Seeing it for what it really is helps me feel liberated, not deprived and that's key to staying stopped. Not many of us can rely on pure will power for the long haul, but mentally reassigning booze from the reward to the punishment category is a big help.

LovelyKaya33333 07-09-2016 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ariesagain (Post 6036509)
What worked best for me was understanding the biochemical and socioeconomic aspects of alcohol addiction. Alcohol isn't a wonderful sophisticated thing that enhances lives...it's a toxic depressant chemical that is implicated in 60+ diseases and conditions, many of which are fatal. That toxic chemical is being pushed down our throats almost literally because it's incredibly profitable...beer and wine are largely water. So we see it everywhere...television, movies, grocery stores...in short we are brainwashed into thinking we're missing something when we don't drink and all we're missing is compromising our physical and mental health...not to mention our finances.

Seeing it for what it really is helps me feel liberated, not deprived and that's key to staying stopped. Not many of us can rely on pure will power for the long haul, but mentally reassigning booze from the reward to the punishment category is a big help.

Thank you for this but I don't have a drinking problem :) I rarely drink. This is for alanon :)

Ariesagain 07-09-2016 06:09 AM

Well, I wonder where I thought I was posting!

Am idiot. Sorry!

AnvilheadII 07-09-2016 02:05 PM

altho it was AA meetings, i sometimes hit THREE meetings a day! i know Alanon isn't always as prevalent, but my point is you don't have to LIMIT yourself to one a day!

Expanding 07-09-2016 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ariesagain (Post 6036509)

Yes, yes and yes! I am free from the shackles of alcohol whether I was drinking myself or my partner was... the problem is now what?

I think this is where most people falter... they don't know what to do with themselves so they go back to what they always did with who they always did it with.