SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Someone told me run (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/393818-someone-told-me-run.html)

Shirt423 06-30-2016 07:15 PM

Someone told me run

Years ago I was in the thick of a romantic relationship with an alcoholic. He knew he had an issue, he struggled with sobriety, he was a full blown addict.

Someone on this site told me to run. Someone told me I was young, I didn't have children yet, and I wasn't married. RUN.

I remember being angry.

I was in love.

Five years later I am happy. I am married. I have two beautiful children.

I am not married to my ex abf. I became happy only after I realized I could not waste more of my life hoping he would recover. I did not marry an addict. I am raising my husbands children who's alcoholic mother abandoned them. There is still chaos surrounding her and her enabling family, but through my experiences I remain healthy.

I probably should have ran. But instead I learned and am a better person for it. I will never get the 3 years back that I spent focusing on him. I guarantee I will not spend another minute of my life stressing over the actions of an addict. I may even love one again (a child, sibling, friend),but not more than I love myself.

I won't tell anyone to run. But I'd strongly consider walking away.

tigerlily1 06-30-2016 07:34 PM

Thanks Shirt for sharing your story! Glad to hear that you are doing well and no longer immersed in the alcoholic relationship with your Ex. Also glad those kids have you! :)

LexieCat 06-30-2016 07:55 PM

Thanks for sharing--glad your story had a happy ending (or, rather, a happy middle). :)

Liveitwell 06-30-2016 08:25 PM

Thank you for sharing.

hope778 07-01-2016 05:23 AM

Thank you for sharing your story and advice

Bekindalways 07-01-2016 05:36 AM

Thanks for this Shirt. I have told people to run. Now I try to be kind, supportive and encourage them to educate themselves.

People in love are in a different zone. It is difficult to be helpful in the situation. Sometimes I wonder if it is my own codependency that wants to change/help folks in relationships with addicts. People have to learn and adapt at there own speed.

Kboys 07-01-2016 02:01 PM

:) nice to hear, thanks for posting

dandylion 07-01-2016 02:29 PM

shsirt423 and Bekindalways,,,,,,I no longer use the actual word "run" (for those in love).....I, also, try to emphasize education and nudge toward treatment...and, gently as possible...give a realistic picture....
For those who believe that their special love will make a difference....I have come to learn that almost all go away mad.
My hope is to say something that they will remember in the future that might be of value.....

I think that for most....it is a matter of the pain of staying becoming greater than the fear or leaving.......

dandylion

SoberLeigh 07-01-2016 02:44 PM

So very nice to hear that you have found happiness in a healthy relationship, Shirt423.