More O/T. I Booked a flight to Florida

Old 06-27-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

More O/T. I Booked a flight to Florida

My mom has been asking me to come visit her for years. Last time I was there was when she "kidnapped" me after my divorce. I really did need that vacation then. I think I was there for 3 or 4 weeks. Don't remember, really don't want to think of the year 2010.

So, I live in PA. They have a direct flight to Tampa. Well, I didn't like that airline. I didn't feel safe. Roundtrip is $166.00. I had other options. (I don't know if I can post the airline the I did chose). All other flights had 1 stop or more, and cost about $200 to $800 more.

So needless to say I looked up reviews on the plane I was taking. Well rated worst with the FAA, with delays and cancellations. Also really old planes. I booked it anyway. My worst fear of death is sharks, my second is fire. I always had a fear of planes. Could never imagine how that heavy thing stayed up in the air. But anyway, I did get over all of those fears, and I did book the trip. Aug 5th - Aug 12th. It took me 3 days to do this.

Anyway, can't wait to see my mom. She'll be 84 this year.

Still will need to calm down a bit about the plane. (lol) I'll just leave my will on top of the fridge like I always do when I get on a plane. (lol)

amy
Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's going to be so worth it. I'm glad you are making this journey.

I live on the west coast of Canada and fly back and forth to Florida several times a year.. I live through it every time :P
Old 06-27-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know how you can do that !!!!! Every time I get on a plane, I think of all of that weight in the air, and how does it stay up there ? (lol) Then to think of all the planes on this airline was delayed for maintenance, or cancelled for whatever reason, I really do freak out.

So, it's going to be really nice to see my mom for a week.

It really is starting to seem more exciting, then frightening to get on a plane.

((((((((hugs))))))))
amy
Old 06-28-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't like to fly either, but I do it often. There are certain airlines and certain planes I will not fly on LOL.

ou can google online "fear of flying" and watch videos that will explain how that heavy hunk of steel stays in the air. Its really helpful. I no longer worry about that. For me I only get nervous at take off anymore. Landing never bothered me (although its the most prevalent time for an issue), because its OVER. LOL.

You'll be fine. Its helpful to listen to music or anything else especially during the first 15 mins of flight when landing gear,r and other noises can be disconcerting.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you Amy! You need a vaca!

Girl, I have been on some rattle trap planes, and always made it through. It will be just fine!

I am excited for you, and I bet your mom is super excited you are coming!
Old 06-28-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

amy.....here is what has helped me. (I hate heights...and planes go up very high).

1. Use of the "breathing exercise" to abort possible panic attack if you feel yourself getting anxious.
2. Anything to take your focus to something specific.
crossword puzzles......those new fangled coloring books are great.....focusing on a "pattern" in anything. For example....tracing all the lines in a herringbone pattern on something.....reading something captivating while in take off or landing.
3. Do you know those little white capsules that you can buy in drugstores that you crush with your fingers and they emit an intense ammonia smell? You can put those in your p ocket and crush one to pass under your nose..that will abort a panic attack. (often used to revive those with simple fainting episodes).
4. In a similar way..ice to the temple or forehead...or even on the wrist can help.
Why? (because it interrupts the sympathetic nervous system..rapid heart beat, etc. And it allows the parasympathetic to take over.....

Hope some of this helps.....

dandylion
Old 06-28-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe NOT watch the movie "Airplane"????
Old 06-28-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

^^^^^^^lol...lol...
Old 06-28-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can totally relate! The strange thing is that I only developed a fear of flying after my son was born. Prior to that I was a flying fool!
My fix these days? I pop 1/2 a Xanax I hour prior to my flight. Works for me! Lol

I believe I know which airline you speak of Amy. Lol. I actually flew them last week to the Caribbean and ONLY because they were $300 less expensive than the airline I usually fly when heading up to the northeast. I was always afraid to fly them.. Visions of that airline that went down into the Everglades years ago kept me from using those low cost airlines. It all turned out ok. Seats a little more close together than usual but other than that all good.
Remember to pay for your check on or carry on ahead of time or you will be charged more money. You'll be fine.
Have a fantastic visit!
Ro
Old 06-28-2016, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have fun Amy!!
Old 06-28-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just really have to say "This is my safe place", like my home is also "my safe place".

I did a lot of self therapy yesterday, but mostly today. I realized that I am not afraid of dying, (handled that really well with stage 3b cancer), my fear was of the plane. It could be my fear of height, or fear of how that heavy thing stays up in the air, or it could be a fear of the unknown.

I've been on a plane 18 times so far. So I crossed the first 2 off of my list for my fear of planes. (Need to say that I still want to applaud when my plane successfully takes off). Red, I have no problem either when a plane is landing. I don't know why that is. I'm also less anxious on the return flight, (just a little bit of panic when plane is leaving) but I know that I am going back to my "safe place". I think that's why the return trip was always easier.

So, the fear of the unknown...... It's why I stayed married for so long. I think, or I know I still hear his voice in my head, always telling me that I am too stupid to do that, or take care of that.

Well, so far, I have bought my own car, bought my own house, fixed my own house, can use and operate many tools, including a chain saw. I pay all my own bills, and they are paid in full and never late. These are a lot of the things that I feared I couldn't do when I left. I actually excel at all of this now.

So booking and actually taking this flight is a first for me. I really am hoping for a good experience because I would really like to see my mom at least 2 times a year if not more.

amy