Al-anon meetings

Old 06-26-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Al-anon meetings

In the last couple weeks I've gone to 4 al-anon meetings. I haven't been able to make it through sharing without crying yet. No one else in any of the other meetings looks even close to crying when they share. Please tell me that some day I will be able to talk about things without crying.

If you've cried while sharing at meetings please let me know I'm not alone. It's embarrassing to be the only one.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

MCM,
Yes, I have cried, many times. When you see other people who have lived the same truth that you have lived, the only thing you can do is cry. I felt so alone, like no one would believe what you have witnessed.

It is all part of the healing process. Keep coming back, it works when you work it!!

Sending hugs my friend, you are on the path to healing yourself!!
Old 06-26-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have cried too--in fact, I apparently looked so wretched at my first "beginner's meeting" that when they drew straws for a free Alanon book and another woman won the draw, she said "I think you should give it to her ("her" being me)--she looks like she needs it worse!"

One of the things you'll learn in Alanon is the saying "don't compare your insides to somebody else's outside." Just b/c no one else is currently crying in your meetings doesn't mean they haven't in the past. Eventually you will stop crying too, and then some newcomer will show up and look at you and think to herself "wow, she doesn't look even close to crying, how come I'm the only one crying..."
Old 06-26-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, I've been the one crying when other people are smiling and chatting, and even knitting!
Old 06-26-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mcm19 View Post
....If you've cried while sharing at meetings please let me know I'm not alone. It's embarrassing to be the only one.
Yup, I cried. Cried so much they had to go buy extra kleenex just for me

And yes, I stopped crying. Not the first week, it took me a few weeks but slowly I was able to get all the pain out of my soul. The first meeting that I did _not_ cry peeps were especially nice and congratulated me

Mike
Old 06-27-2016, 11:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh yes, I have cried buckets and learned to be grateful for the release of pain. I promise it does get better. Keep sharing, it helps everyone in the meeting. A big hug.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Me too.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh man - sobbed like a baby - publicly. I would have been less uncomfortable if I had toilet paper hanging out of my tights...

Afterwards, I never felt better. <3

We've done it, we've seen it, we get it, and it is OK!!!
Old 06-27-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So glad to know we are not alone I cried for seemed forever.... so glad for tissue... today I know when I cry I am cleaning myself to allow the "light/healing" in.... I rarely cry at meetings but today I accept when I do, its perfectly healthy to have a good cry, and it is ok to do so!

Kat