Advice please

Old 06-26-2016, 01:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice please

Hi all,
I'm new here. My story is this, I have an uncle that has been drinking heavily for almost 20 years. It stemmed from losing both my nan and grandad but over the last 6 years has spiralled out of control.
He was hospitalised 5 years ago and as a result of his addiction began having seizures which was managed through medication.
He was hospitalised again 2 years ago with liver failure and it was touch and go if he would make it. Since then things were going well until last week where he was hospitalised again this time multiple organ failure. The doctors warned this was his last chance and next time it would be beyond treatment! The doctors and nurses treated him and within a week he was sent home (I feel he should have been kept longer!!) but after only a few days he was buying a 'sneaky' drink from the shop.
To give a bit of context he is the youngest uncle of the family, he used to have a job and friends but that was long gone over 10 years ago. Now he is a bit of a loner, he does not work and he is married to someone who also has her demons with drink and a troubled past. He has a teenage son who has behavioural problems (which I feel stems from his parents issues) he now despises his father (my uncle).
We can't babysit him everyday, but I'm looking for any advice from others in a similar situation. Both myself, mother, step-dad and aunt want to try anything possible to keep him alive and well. Thank you
Old 06-26-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

trinketdelau.....has he ever been approached as to going to inpatient rehab?

dandylion
Old 06-26-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

My second husband went back to drinking after surviving liver and kidney failure. Nothing you can do, sadly. He has to be willing to keep HIMSELF alive and well. Adults are ALLOWED to destroy their lives if they want to.

I'd suggest putting whatever "helping" impulses you have into providing strong support for his son. Sounds like the kiddo needs it, and the kids often get lost in the chaos when all the attention is focused on the addicted parent.