O/T need some support or whatever.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
Thomas, for the life of me, I am unable to post a link to it. I tried so many times and it is just not working for me tonight. I posted the type of tower in my 2nd post here. His old computer was an xp that he bought in 2000.
If you send the eBay item number, I can bring it up that way too. It's a 12 digit number... if you don't know where to find it, it can be found on the item description (auction) page, on the far right side of where you see the "Description" and "Shipping and payments" tab. Very small text.

Without a specific model number, giving a brand and features doesn't narrow down exactly what it is, just the size of the hard drive and the amount of memory. Many different model numbers with slightly different features can have those same specs.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The item number is 111767600009. I just don't know what I was doing wrong when trying to post the link. I would post it and it would just say javascript. I don't know what that means. This is a link to the sellers site.

tech-depot | eBay

Thank you
amy
Old 06-23-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's the fourth one down, for $95.00.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

From what I see, the seller listed 3 possible models that a buyer could get (since they're refurbished machines). The good news is that all 3 models have a VGA port on the back, so it's almost a certainty that his monitor will work. The potentially bad news is that none of those 3 models come standard with PS/2 ports (it's only an available option from the manufacturer, so if the original owner of the machine didn't order the part, it won't have it), so if his existing mouse and keyboard don't use a USB plug, he will need a USB mouse and keyboard.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

For reference, in case you're curious:

PS/2 ports:
http://11986-presscdn-0-77.pagely.ne.../ps2-ports.jpg

PS/2 plugs:
http://www.ergocanada.com/ergo/tips/ps2_plugs.jpg

USB plugs:
http://manual.audacityteam.org/m/ima...9/usb_plug.jpg

VGA plug and port:
http://cdn.computerhope.com/vga-cable-and-connector.jpg
Old 06-24-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Wow, thank you, thank you. You wouldn't believe how much research work you saved me. Probably about 4 hours and another numb brain. I'm like Michael Keaton in Mr Mom. There was a line in that movie when someone asked him if they were all going to be 220 lines, and he said 220, 221 whatever it takes. That's me with computers. (lol)

Even if I need to get a new keyboard and mouse, that wouldn't be that much.

Only one more question, I promise. Should I get a combo modem/router, or separate ones? He doesn't have those, he was using a dial up connection, and I don't want him to have to pay for a home phone. He has a monthly prepaid cell phone. The reception on that isn't that good, he needs to call me from outside, but at least I know I won't get nightly phone calls also. (lol)

I think the lowest priced internet service there is, is $19.99 per month.

I owe you big time for this!!!!

((((((hugs)))))
amy
Old 06-24-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thomas...you are the bomb! Amy....you are the bombette....

dandylion
Old 06-24-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hang in there Amy - I hope you have a much better day today! (((HUGS)))
Old 06-24-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Again thank you so much. I really can't say that enough. So I ran away from my cell phone yesterday. I did miss a call from my cousin. I think when I miss a call from him, he feels like he is bothering me too much. (Only saying this, because he said this a few times) I tried calling him today and either his phone is off, or he had the phone in the house where he gets no reception, and doesn't have voicemail set up. Anyway, he won't be calling me today, because usually I go out with friends for pizza, but I'm not tonight.

Anyway, I researched internet service. I came upon DSL Extreme, truestream.

It sounds like $17.95 a month. Surcharge $2.88 a month. Free router, free installation. Can lease modem for about $7.00 a month or buy it for $100. Can also get a phone line for an additional $9.99 a month, with unlimited calling in the US. It's a one year contract.

I've been paying for his monthly prepaid, about $32. a month. It's verizon. I also have verizon, so when I talk to him the minutes don't count. Verizon to Verizon. Don't think I would go for the $9.99 phone because I only have 700 minutes on my verizon, and sometimes we talk for about 2500 minutes a month. My phone would be charged if he had a house phone. (This can be done later after he gets a job and his monthly prepaid can be dropped because he won't have that much time to call me, lol).

I think this is the best that I can do. Does anyone here have experience with DSL. I have cable for internet, and verizon cell phone, so I know nothing about this.

I think he might be able to get a cable connection cheaper, but that would not have free installation and free router. Then again not sure of that, and not sure of anything that I just wrote.

Thomas, I will ask him about the ports on his keyboard and mouse.

You are all really doing such a terrific job keeping me sane.

(((((hugs)))))
amy
Old 06-24-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
Only one more question, I promise. Should I get a combo modem/router, or separate ones?
I'd have a hard time answering that one simply because most of the internet providers where I live (Canada) provide the modem free of charge, and you just give it back when you cancel internet service or change plans. Depending on the provider, the modem they include in the package is sometimes a combination unit already, and sometimes just a standalone modem that needs a separate router.

Anyway, I researched internet service. I came upon DSL Extreme, truestream.

It sounds like $17.95 a month. Surcharge $2.88 a month. Free router, free installation. Can lease modem for about $7.00 a month or buy it for $100. Can also get a phone line for an additional $9.99 a month, with unlimited calling in the US. It's a one year contract.

I've been paying for his monthly prepaid, about $32. a month. It's verizon. I also have verizon, so when I talk to him the minutes don't count. Verizon to Verizon. Don't think I would go for the $9.99 phone because I only have 700 minutes on my verizon, and sometimes we talk for about 2500 minutes a month. My phone would be charged if he had a house phone. (This can be done later after he gets a job and his monthly prepaid can be dropped because he won't have that much time to call me, lol).

I think this is the best that I can do. Does anyone here have experience with DSL. I have cable for internet, and verizon cell phone, so I know nothing about this.
If that specific internet service is in his area, I think that would honestly be the best way to go. The reason behind that is because getting a separate modem and router generally requires some working knowledge of setting up the two devices to work properly, which would mean more researching on your behalf. If the provider includes a modem and router, that also means that the company usually sets it up for you and makes sure that it works before leaving the customer to their own devices. Worst case scenario, they should be able to provide instructions over the phone on how to walk someone though plugging it all in together. Less hassle for you.

I have used both DSL and cable, and the differences in service vary wildly by region. Here are the main differences:

1. Distance - high speed cable internet can provide service for greater distances than DSL. DSL can only provide service about 3.5 miles away from a central office or relay station, so it may be worth looking into contacting the company and asking how far away their office or relay station is from your cousin's place.

2. Bandwidth. Cable internet uses shared bandwidth for neighborhoods, whereas DSL uses dedicated bandwidth. In layman's terms, imagine bandwidth to be a highway. Cable internet, which generally provides higher theoretical max speeds (faster speed limit on the road), might have a lot of people all trying to use the same road at the same time, which slows traffic down. DSL, which generally provides lower theoretical max speeds, is a private road that only you are driving on. So even though the 'speed limit' is lower, it can work out to be faster, depending on the neighborhood and time of day.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm going to be sick here. My cousin called that place. He can't do it. Seems AT&T owns that area and they can charge whatever they want to. There really is no other service available.

Oh, and he did check the connections for the keyboard and the mouse, all are USB. He is OK to get connected. I told him to go to the library tomorrow and to research this.

Can you tell that I am somewhat aggravated with requirements, regulations, and industries, companies owning areas?

I'm going brain dead or numb again, but at least I know that all things use USB.

((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))) Please forgive my rant.
amy
Old 06-24-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I don't have any advice to offer, Amy, just hugs. There've been times I seriously missed dial-up modem internet access. Sure, it was slow, but it was cheap and over phone lines. In college, when my roommate and I moved off campus, we even found a free dial-up service. None of which helps you *now* about 20 years later (really, it's already 20 years???), but... I'm rooting for you and your cousin.

Hugs to you, sweet, wonderful Amy.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I just want him to do his own research. I want him to stop asking me things that I can't answer. I just can't believe that 3 miles away you can get this cheap service, but being on a mountain near the NC border, or that he is out in the "sticks" you can't. My mother and I agreed we would do this for 3 - 6 months. I'll keep trying. Just went brain dead again today.

I also researched my area today, and all of the areas are owned.

I just don't know, can't think anymore, going to sleep.
Wanted to say again in my original post, I really don't need any answers, ( I do appreciate suggestions, they have been very helpful) just a stop by of how are you doing? Just say "hey"

(((((((((hugs))))))))))))
amy
Old 06-24-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theuncertainty View Post
I don't have any advice to offer, Amy, just hugs. There've been times I seriously missed dial-up modem internet access. Sure, it was slow, but it was cheap and over phone lines. In college, when my roommate and I moved off campus, we even found a free dial-up service. None of which helps you *now* about 20 years later (really, it's already 20 years???), but... I'm rooting for you and your cousin.

Hugs to you, sweet, wonderful Amy.

I think right now, that is what I needed. Thank you.