Forgiveness

Old 09-27-2004, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Gracey

Forgiveness

One of my goals, to truly learn how to forgive myself for things I have done in the past........If I can learn how to forgive myself.....I may learn how to forgive other people........

Old 09-27-2004, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Gracey, I think what you need to do is learn from your past mistakes and not make the same ones again. The only one who needs to forgive you is God for your mistakes.

It seems as if you beat yourself too much about things that "happened", things you cannot change.

Keep growing and move forward, one step at a time. You're doing a great job.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Gracey

Oh boy, are you right

Old 09-27-2004, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Gracey)))
For me, forgiveness comes with understanding and love. Just as I find it much easier to forgive my H when I understand why he does what he does, I find it much easier to forgive myself when I understand why I did what I did and when I love myself.

Read my signature line - that says it all for me.
L
Old 09-27-2004, 11:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

Gracey,

Lorelai says it all...forgiveness will come with time. It is the gift we give to ourselves (someone reminded me of that here at SR just recently). I saw this and thought is might offer some help or at least momentary relief from the self abuse...(put down the bat for a little bit).

Peace for today,
Petunia

Gradually, though, the addict learns to accept responsibility without denying the worth of his self. In this learning, a separation is made between the actions one commits and one's soul.
--David Mura

Whether we're addicts or not, most of us have done things that we wanted to keep secret. We've harmed other people and ourselves. Then, we hid our secrets in our heart and locked the door. We justified and rationalized. We built thick walls around us and lived in fear of being found out. Finally, we lost ourselves in the deception.

Recovery means finding ourselves behind our guilt, shame, and rationalizations. It starts with honesty, telling our secrets, calling things by their right names, and owning up to the harm we've done.

The miracle is that when we unlock our heart and tell our secrets, we uncover our soul. When we let the secrets out, we let the light in. We experience the blessing of forgiveness and learn that who we are is not what we did.

I open my heart and release all my secrets. Light pours in and illuminates my soul. I know that I am forgiven.

From the book, The Color of Light by Perry Tilleraas
Old 09-27-2004, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you checked into the 4th and 5th step booklets.?????
4th and 5th steps are valuable. We learn forgiveness for self also.
Best Always clancy46
PS ("We are as sick as the secrets we keep.")
Old 09-28-2004, 06:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

I couldn't forgive myself until I looked at what made me do what I did. The things I did weren't pretty, but the reasons that I did them were very human. Not only was I able to forgive myself, but because I found the underlying causes, I was able to stop repeating the same mistakes and make healthier choices. It was a win/win. I did this through the 12 step process. Like I have said before, I highly recommend the steps, but I believe that there are other processes that can work also. I just haven't had to find another one. Hugs, Magic