Mentally Moved On

Old 06-22-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mentally Moved On

As I was taking my daily walks the last two evenings, I noticed my thoughts were on how I might think and feel should I divorce from AW. Was thinking about things I might do, how 'free' I might feel. Yes, I also thought about taking care of DS alone, and the house by myself, and the sadness and angst that goes along with a marriage breaking up.

But there was also a sense of calm that I felt, a sense of relief that might
Also come about by removing an active A from the household.

I read so many posts here of people trying to hold on to their spouse, gf/bf. Me, I think I'm ready for the break. The only thing that makes it difficult is our 6 yr old DS.

Nothing big here, just thought I would share. Since sharing my thoughts and feelings are something with which I have trouble, I guess this is my therapy for the day!!
Old 06-22-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're rehearsing your next life...I do that, too.

And the fact that your reaction is the word "free" instead of "scared" says you're ready.

Good for you!
Old 06-22-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The difficulty for your DS6 is just trading one for another. IMO, difficulties of dealing with divorce and separation are easier (and more widely supported and understood) than dealing with the often-invisible difficulties of living and growing up with an alcoholic parent.

You sound calm and healthy. Proud of you for sharing!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am at the same place your at. Luckily the kids are grown but we have been together almost 30 yrs. With a business a splitup will be expensive but I am fed up with living with an active A. Adding bipolar is not a help either. She is stuck with the BP for life but the addictions are a choice.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't let the anxiety of the future catch up with you. It's a step at a time, and you are going to do great!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think "trying your decision on for awhile" is a great way to acclimate yourself to what lies ahead. There is no way you can fully prepare for every detail of how things will transpire, but it's such a great sign when you can try the decision on for a few hours and examine how you would feel, without feeling abject terror.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I fantasized about a life without XABF for a long time before I left. It kinda became my mind's 'happy place."

And maybe it's a "The Secret" kinda deal....but for me, when I envisioned it, it eventually became how it was.....and it was just as sweet, if not sweeter than I had imagined. My life and the misery I had with the X seems like a surreal dream, rather than a huge part of my past, and I cannot fathom ever living in that kind of situation again.

A few months after going NC were awful - off and on, but always had an overlaying sense of peace, and the peace is eventually what took over - and now, I will remove people from my life as needed and mercilessly to protect it.

Keep daydreaming - it leads us to action.

(((COD)))
Old 06-22-2016, 09:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am happy you are coming to terms with the reality of the situation and that you are playing the tape forward and realizing that you can have a life where you feel free and not anchored to an active addict.

While it might be difficult to raise your DS and run the house without your AW, I truly believe that in the long run it will be a lot easier to just run the house on your own without all the worries that come with having an active addict in the house. Also, your DS might be upset for the short term about the divorce, but the pain from a divorce compared to the pain of a lifetime living with an active addict are not comparable.

In the end you need to do what you believe is best for YOU and your DS and I think each day you get closer and closer to deciding exactly what you want.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
But there was also a sense of calm that I felt, a sense of relief that might
Also come about by removing an active A from the household.
Ahhhhhh... I remember that feeling well. When my first AH kept beating me down saying he wanted out, I remember finally seeing the light and accepting the fact that it would actually be a GOOD thing for ME to split. It was like a huge weight had been lifted from me. However, we did not have children, so there was no burden about the "extra work" that would put on me. In your case, you should frame it as being important you're removing your DS from the toxicity of an A household and the "extra work" will be worth it.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My AXBF is gone from my home, a situation I have fantasized about for awhile. The chaos is gone. Peace and calm and freedom flow through my home. Yes, I am taking care of my son and my house by myself. But in all honestly, I was doing most of that anyway, only with tons of added stress, mess and drama while AXBF was living here.

I have dreams, aka nightmares, that he is still here, still doing the same things...scaring me with unpredictable moods and activities, starting arguments, etc. What a relief to wake up instead to only my baby crying. Even if I am the only one getting up with him. Like I said, that part hasn't changed much anyway.

AXBF is in treatment at the moment, so this situation is temporary. I imagine there will be some sort of shared custody when he gets out if he is serious about recovery, but he will not be coming back to my home. He was kicked out, then chose to go to treatment I think as a last resort.

Warm thoughts and best wishes to you.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I understand completely thinking about a future life beyond active addiction of a spouse. I do it too. It is a sort of calm space for the mind. Funny how our mind does that. Almost as if it knows it needs to get back to a place of peace and healing, and that is the way it knows how.

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
Nothing big here
Not true. I think this is a big step! Whether you are intentionally forming those thoughts or not. Wishing you well.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Divorce comes and goes, you feel hurt, but you get better. Being married to an active A who does not even think of recovery is not what a marriage is supposed to be. That person is already in a very committed relationship with somebody else.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

a child needs, at least, one stable and healthy parent and a peaceful, secure environment.....at least, half the time.......

dandylion
Old 06-22-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have dreams, aka nightmares, that he is still here, still doing the same things...scaring me with unpredictable moods and activities, starting arguments, etc.
Ugg, I've had dreams like that. Waking up just sure someone was drukenly yelling at me, slamming doors, etc. They invoke that same type type of terror as my being chased by a zombie / ax murderer / Satan himself dreams.

THankfully, they are getting further and fewer in between!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was right there where you are last year.

I threatened to leave last January but talked myself into staying for another year. (Truthfully, I was scared to leave and was looking for any reason at all to stay).

And like you I considered what it would be like to not have an alcoholic in my life. And I planned for the day when the other shoe would drop. I think I read here that spouses of alcoholics get to a point where they are always waiting for the final straw. When my breaking point finally arrived this January I was calm, focused and ready.

And it feels so good looking back after 6 months of peace and sanity.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, Nero.....it seems easier to stay in the comfort of known misery than to face the fear of changing......
Same thing applies to alcoholics as well as their partners......

dandylion
Old 06-22-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sounds like a big step to me COD; like you've turned a corner in your Acceptance which will make it easier to be able to Let Go fully, IMO.

Is there a reason that you haven't considered a separation even if you aren't quite ready for divorce? (I'm just thinking that for some, it can be easier to baby-step from married to separated to divorce. I don't really remember you ever talking about it, but I'm getting the feeling that for you it's more black/white - either you're married OR divorced, not interested in middle ground?
Old 06-22-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It's amazing, isn't it, how just the thought of not having to deal with a loved one's addiction on a daily basis can be so freeing?

DS was 3 going on 4 when I left AXH. He was 6 when I filed for divorce. After we left and before the divorce, we'd created a nice little rhythm for our lives that was only occasionally interrupted by the appearance of his father. The divorce, and the time leading up to it, created a huge upheaval. It was hard and so painful, probably for all of us, but I know it was hard on DS and I.

Even though it didn't feel like it (oh, man, did it ever NOT feel like it), going through the upheaval of a divorce is a relatively temporary situation. Eventually, it did settle down again. It may not have been exactly the routine or daily rhythm that I imagined, but it did stop feeling like a constant magnitude 8 or 9 earthquake.

Keeping a rhythm in place for DS for the times he was with me helped him adjust to the overall changes. It was something he could count on: our days will be about like *this* for the most part. I also found a play therapist for him and AXH's attorney FINALLY got him to agree to it part way through the divorce. She helped DS and gave me pointers on how to address issues when they came up.

I found that keeping DS and what was best for him in mind while I went through all of the divorce and custody things helped me not crumble completely.

Best wishes
Old 06-22-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think this is a good thing
Old 06-27-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

FireSprite - I realized I never answered your question. In Ohio, we can have separation, but I'm not thinking how that could help - I think that might just muddy the waters. I think, in order to make my point, that it would have to be full-blown divorce proceedings. Maybe I'm wrong, and I will discuss that with the atty. if it comes to that.

As I wrote in another post, I'm pretty much checked-out of this marriage, and feel that moving on would be the best for me and DS. I'm kind of a black-and-white kinda guy anyway, so it makes more logical sense to me. And, at this point, I think it would be difficult, if not impossible, to turn my feelings around, and be back in a truly loving marriage.