Naltrexone- anyone have someone who takes this?

Old 06-19-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone- anyone have someone who takes this?

My son is supposed to be taking this since April. Being that he lives half way across the country, I don't know if he is taking it like he should. Would like to get the vivitrol (spelling?) shot instead but our insurance doesn't cover it which I feel is not right. One would think they would rather pay for the shot then a rehab cost if it came down to that.
So it will be going on the 3rd month that he is to be taking the pill. He is also seeing a psychologist. I do see some improvements and praying they continue.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a double winner and have seen a few A's try Nal. Very limited success.

I didn't appeal to me as if I understand correctly all it does is block some of the affects of drinking A. I think there is a system called the Sinclair Method that you use to kind of monitor how much you drink and the effects.

On the positive side, is great that he is getting help from a psychologist. I think this will help a lot as long as he is willing to work what is suggested to him.

To quit and stay quit, you need to change your attitude and thinking patterns and behaviours, as you probably know.

Glad you are seeing some improvements. I hope they continue.

Antabuse is another medication available to help quit. This makes you very ill and vomit if you drink A while on it.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Hummingbird-
In one of my first treatment-related go rounds to get sober I was put on naltrexone. I got one month of the shot that was covered (read, given to me, by the private facility I was in bc their head psych got a certain amount to give to those whose ins didn't cover- agree that it should be! ) and then the pill for maybe 2,3 months. I did not think it did anything.

Now, having quit with AA and being under the care of a psych, I take campral (Acamprosate) as one of my maintenance drugs. It is an anti-craving med and I don't know if it is the drug itself or a combination of things but I take it exactly as prescribed and have almost zero cravings or impulses to drink. (I am 118 days sober).

It's great that he is seeing a psychologist- wonder how meds are being prescribed and monitored though?

A few comments on Antabuse. My (very brilliant) pysch who is experienced with addiction took a cautious approach to this with me. Last year, I convinced her I was ready to take it and got her to let me "take it" on my own; she very often has patients come to her office daily or weekly to get their dose. I took it erratically, and sometimes while drinking. VERY BAD. I had one or two moderate seizure-like episodes, lots of sweating and shaking, and pretty much stopped taking it. I also used the money my parents gave me for it for other things (not necessarily alcohol but to pay bills and such I was supposed to be responsible for).

Fast forward to this year, and when I quit cold turkey and started being honest with her, and took my sobriety 100% seriously, I took it religiously; she had me sign a sheet every single day and get someone to witness me taking it and sign it too. I am proud to say that last week, at our session, I showed her the paper with the last signature line and we decided I was ready to stop taking it now, at 4 months. THIS is how antabuse should be used, and no other way- it can be very dangerous (I was lucky when I misused it because actual death CAN occur with what I did). It could be a great option for your son- do know that it is REALLY expensive if insurance doesn't cover it, much like vivitrol- and he needs to be committed to taking it.

Hope he is well and that you are taking care of yourself too.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He got the naltrexone from the psychiatrist that was recommended by the psychologist. This will be his 3rd month on it BUT like I mentioned I have no clue if he is taking it or not since he lives 1600 miles away. I do hear a change in his attitude. He currently is now doing the alcohol therapy classes for the DUI - which he has not been convicted of yet because the court keeps pushing back the dates. He was told if he is proactive on signing up for the classes it will look good and shorten his probation period.....

Praying he gets some help out of the alcohol therapy classes. He has 20 more to go! They are 2 hours once a week for 21 weeks. He went to his first one yesterday....

Just get the feeling inside that he will go back to it again. Thankful though for probation coming up and hoping that he will see a change in himself with not being able to drink or smoke weed in those months of probation. He does seem to realize how this has "ruined" things for him. He had a job offer and then had to disclose his pending dui so I haven't heard anything on that yet.