OT - Watcha doing this summer?

Old 06-16-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT - Watcha doing this summer?

I'm kinda, sorta a workaholic. I DO lots of fun things for myself, but its difficult for me to take off more than 5 days (but I do take off several of these "mini's" during the year) without looking at the loss of money.

Business has been extraordinary, we are 3 years in and going strong so I told RAH earlier this year that I would really like to take of 2 weeks straight. Holy mother I thought he would fall out of his chair.

I did!! We are heading out in a week to our beach home for 2 weeks. Unlike prior times I haven't felt one bit of guilt about saying NO I WON"T BE HERE. I haven't wavered one millimeter thinking about the $$$$ I am handing to someone else.

We are trailering RAH motorcycle down this time. Deep sea fishing, beach lounging, we may snorkel for scallops if they are in or definitely go oystering. We are heading to a neighboring state to pick up fireworks on Sunday since we will be there the 4th.

I can barely wait, countdown 10 days. What are YOU doing for fun this summer?
Old 06-16-2016, 03:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like so much FUN!!! Bike, fishing, coast...yeah - heaven! Enjoy!

I have a short girls weekend lined up in a neighboring city, lots of camp trips, and a family trip to our holy land in the mountains to scatter dads ashes - bittersweet on that.

In August, I have a trip with my biker gals through Glacier park - shaping up to be 20 something women on their motorcycles...plus, I'd like to do a long trip just me. Maybe the west coast, on my bike...camp every other night. We'll see.

Can't wait to hear about your trip Red, and everyone elses plans!
Old 06-16-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am in Maine right now on vacation camping! Mr. R and I have a camp sight right on the water and have our two dogs with us. Hiked in Acadia today and enjoyed the pine-needles paths and waterfalls with no one else around. Have been eating lobsters and clams... Life is good!!
Old 06-16-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds great everyone!
Good for you Red! Enjoy!
I love summer

No big plans here... But I did take the week of Memorial Day off. I went "backyard camping" at a friend/ past co-worker 's home that weekend, and another friend/past co-worker was there also. They both have boys the same age as mine, so it was pretty fun just to watch them all run around, and a lot easier than going full-on camping, with the little ones!
I may host my own back yard camping trip later in the summer... we'll see.
I took the rest of that week off because my day care provider was on vacation.
I had a fantastic week at home with my boys. We bought a big blow-up pool and put it under their slide in the back yard, and it was the best thing ever!!!
We went for long walks, went to the animal shelter and pet the kittens, watched movies... It was really nice to just be with them and not have anywhere to rush off to..

We are looking forward to the county fair in August, and my birthday is around then, so I may take a few more days or another week off then too....
Old 06-16-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Kboys - I love a staycation! Sounds like a lot of fun. We used to camp in our back yard when I was a child - good times

Refiner - I am jealous of the Lobster our FL guys just aren't as tasty. I bet its a lot cooler in Maine than it is here (don't ask its HOT)

FB - Glacier is on my to do list and that sounds like a blast! I ride on the back of RAH's bike, he's been nudging me to buy one. I probably won't as long as we live here cause this city has such horrible traffic and terrible roads, and I am not comfortable riding with him on the freeway so I won't be by myself for sure. One more reason to move.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like everyone is having fun!

So far we have just taken one little weekend trip with my girls which was fun. No big vacation this year due to finances. That's ok. Next weekend a friend with a house on the lake has invited me and my girls to the lake. They have a boat as well, so that will be really fun. The house is big enough for both kids to take a friend as well.

The week after that my girls and I will go with my mom and sister and just stay in a hotel overnight and swim and stuff, and the next day go find something fun to do. We will be in the city, so that will be fun.

This morning my sister told me her in laws have basically given her their camper, so we will be taking a camping trip with her sometime soon. So even though nothing big, I definitely have things to look forward to.

I am really burned out at work right now, and really need to take off five days. I just hate to do it b/c I want to save them if I don't have plans. I have serious vacation envy, it seems like everyone I know is going on some huge trip, and...I'm not. LOL that's ok.

Glad everyone is having a good summer!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We just built a house, and are still going thru boxes, so no trips for us this year - we usually don't take trips since DS was born. We did join a local country club for their pool privileges, so our weekends will be spent there. DS is trying to learn how to swim, and he loves to be in the water, so he's happy as a clam, and it wears him out!

We might take a trip or two to Cincinnati or Cleveland - just to get away. With all the stuff that needs done on the new house, it's hard to break away and spend more money!!

I'm quite happy just being outside, even if I'm mowing or weeding. The sun boosts my mood immeasurably!
Old 06-17-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, I am counting down the days until our annual Mexico resort vacation -- 10 days of swimming, reading, eating and being accountable to no one but each other. I am trying to narrow my book selection down from 20 options to about 10, and pretending that the two weeks leading up to vacation AREN'T the longest two weeks of the year.

Sunday night we see Flight of the Conchords live for the first time!

When we get back from Mexico we're both doing a concert reading of a new Georgette Heyer adaptation for a couple of weeks before we dive into rehearsals for a full production in the fall in which I will be playing one of the most famous characters in literary history. After which, I'll probably have to retire from the stage for good since nothing will be able to top that.

It's nice to have a really good year after a solid run of not so great ones.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great thread!!

Nothing huge but I'm excited! DD leaves tonight for 8 days vacation with a friend. During that time RAH is out of town for work 2-3 days so I'll have a staycation of sorts - a mixed bag of alone time (pedicure, acupuncture, reflexology massage), date time with RAH (early morning motorcycle rides to beat the FL heat & afternoon rain) & time with friends (lunches & happy hours scheduled with 2 good friends & my sister).

Mid-July my BFF is arriving from out of state & spending a week & we have all kinds of stuff planned, including a 3-day weekend at the beach. We are being absolutely selfish & spending 100% of the time doing whatever the heck we want because she's bringing the whole family back for Christmas so we can do family/group stuff then. (our husbands are best friends too)

We're hoping to plan a long weekend getaway for the 3 of us, not exactly sure what/when/where yet, or if we'll turn it into a weekend without DD. I'd reallllllllly love to squeeze in some theme park or zoo or something but idk what yet.

Overall, I gear down pretty well in the summer. I work from home some days, it's my off-season for work & touristy stuff so even my commutes are relaxed by comparison, DD does a lot of day camps/sleepovers as she gets older & I try to make the most of those random free moments.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nothing super big planned because of my new job and no real paid vacation time to take. I just got back from a tennis trip to NM with my son and this weekend the bf and I are renting my friend's cabin the mountains. His girls will join us for Father's Day and we'll probably hike, swim, and make him a nice Father's Day brunch.

In July, I'm taking my son to VA to stay at my mom's for 2 weeks so he can learn some life skills....well, farm skills anyway. My stepdad is going to teach him how to drive a 5 speed, how to change a tire on a car, and my mom will have him working in the garden with her and probably learning how to can fruits and veggies from the garden. They have a few other projects for him to help with, as well. I am only staying there for 4 days, taking 2 days off of work.

BF and I just bought a tent so we can take the whole family camping a few times this summer and we've invested in an inflatable kayak as well. His brother has a boat so we also sometimes go out as a family on the lake for a day here and there.

We're also planning a trip to Hawaii for just the 2 of us, but that's probably happening in October.