Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Medication spellbinding and the hijacking of the brain by alcohol

Old 06-15-2016, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi All,

I have read a number of books by Dr Peter Breggin about both psychiatric drugs and alcohol, and particularly in terms of how substances can change behaviour.

My ex was taking xanax, and an antidepressant and abusing alcohol, so I have tried to learn as much as I can about all of these.

For anyone who does not know who Dr Breggin is, have a read of his resume here ...

Psychiatric Drug Facts with Dr. Peter Breggin - Brief bio

I struggled enormously with the way in which my ex's brain was simply hijacked when she started abusing alcohol, and the massive changes in her personality and loss of empathy that followed.

Dr Breggin has a video titled "What Is Medication Spellbinding" in which he talks about alcohol, xanax and other medications.

The concept of medication spellbinding helped me understand what was going on in her brain.

When I first watched this video, I was thinking about the effects of medication on my ex's behaviour, but I just watched it again thinking about it from the perspective of how alcohol can change behaviour, and from that perspective the video took on a whole new meaning for me.

This is the video ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwIDfcc5Z3

The section starting at 4m 29s is very powerful - this link will take you straight to that part of the video ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwIDfcc5Z3w&t=4m29s

I figured this video might be of interest to anyone else struggling with their loved one's personality changing as a result of alcohol abuse.