Those who use soberlink - duration of monitoring?

Old 06-13-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Those who use soberlink - duration of monitoring?

My kids are 2 and 5. I'm wondering how long those you who are using Soberlink have put in your agreements that it will last? I know STBXAH isn't going to agree that it lasts indefinitely. I guess we could base it on him going to rehab or something, but I don't really think that is going to do anything. I can see him going to just to fulfill the requirements, but continuing to drink.

My thinking is until my oldest is old enough to call me? But even then, I think that wouldn't be until what...8 years old? Just looking for suggestions!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My opinion? Three years-if during those three years he does not have any failed or missed tests, then it terms. If he does have a failed or missed test then each offense adds 30 days of monitoring ( that he pays for).
Old 06-13-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Forever? Honestly, I don't know. Its in my court order 1 year. But it got all screwed up so who knows what they will order now. The idea that your oldest should be able to call 911 effectively is a good one.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Perhaps when your YOUNGEST is old enough to call for help?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
Perhaps when your YOUNGEST is old enough to call for help?
That would be great, but I know he'd never go for that (and I'd like to get him to agree to this without having to go get a court order.) And 95% of the time, both kids will be present.

I just emailed him my proposal. My proposal is that on days when the children are in school and they are not going to be spending time with him overnight, he blows prior to pickup and drop off. Duration will be until our oldest is 8 (December 14, 2018).

Other visits: Prior to pickup, 9am, 3PM and 9 pm. A missed test or confirmation of drinking will immediately end the visit and each one will add 30 days to the total duration, which he will pay for himself.

Just waiting for his response.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know it must be anxiety inducing waiting for his response. Hang in there! *hugs*
Old 06-13-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think that's a good start, a lot can happen between then and now which could change those terms, and that is 100% ok.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jada-just wanted to add....I think you're doing amazing things-you are standing up for your children, their safety, etc. Keep going , momma!!!! Hugs.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Jada,

My original agreement with my AH was for just 4 months, which was the most I could get him to accept. He argued for two months; I wanted at least 6; the mediator got him to split the difference and agree to 4 months of being monitored every other week.

After he got mugged while drunk, and drank when he was supposed to be hosting our daughter's birthday party (not during his custodial time so he said he didn't have to do the monitoring), I filed a motion for continued monitoring. He has agreed to it rather than going to court to fight it.

The new motion says monitoring will continue "until further order of the court." Now the onus is on him to demonstrate that he's reliably sober without the monitoring.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, we came to an agreement. He actually went and met with a few attorneys who told him there's no way a judge would order SoberLink. I'm not so sure about that because in our case, where I know he's drinking, a urine analysis is not going to give me any proof that he hasn't been drinking around the kids. Anyways, we agreed to 16 months of monitoring and he will do 1 test around 9PM when the kids are with him overnight. If he missed a tests or it's positive, 30 more days of monitoring will be added.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great news and awesome job sticking to your guns!
Old 06-20-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Jada,
From my experience, Soberlink is new and therefore I can understand why some attorneys may have told him that it wouldn't be court ordered. If you google around, however, you will see that it is becoming accepted as an alternative to other, more invasive types of monitoring.

How often does he have to test? Is he making any claim to being in recovery?

It sounds like you did a great job of negotiating with him--kudos and congrats.