Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

What helped you ease the pain of breaking up with an alcoholic s.o.? How long did it take?

What helped you ease the pain of breaking up with an alcoholic s.o.? How long did it take?

Old 06-09-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

O, I can't add much to the great responses you've got here, but want to suggest that you try to do some good just in your immediate circle. Are you helping around the house, maybe making dinner, or cleaning? Reaching outside yourself to do things for others is great for you too.

I suggest this because when you do something positive, it begins a cycle of feedback that makes you feel better. Don't take your mother for granted, and try to detach from her and her BF's relationship. That's your mother's business. You might even try being pleasant to her BF, after all you are staying in their house.

This could make a difference to your outlook on life and give you back some power.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Alanon, because I learned to see the problem wasn't him, it was me. I picked him and stayed much longer than I should have. I took responsibility for my part, worked the steps and struggled with my own demons.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
I read How to Survive the Loss of a Love and Codependent No More.
Thanks BKIND, I just ordered them on Amazon. Good words of advice too.