Would you marry an alcoholic?

Old 06-13-2016, 07:39 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

KNOWINGLY marry an alcoholic?

Not in this life. Or the next. Or whenever.

My wife is an alcoholic. After what I've been through, and seeing what everybody else has been through on this forum, I can tell you this in blistering honesty:

This is ONE club you don't ever want to join.

Think of it this way: you're already here at this forum, and you aren't even married yet. What's THAT tell you?

It doesn't get better, at all. It just changes: you, the kids, siblings, relatives, everyone. And needlessly so.

And there are no prizes to win when you 'Stand by your man/woman' through all this crap.

My advice: Cut. Run. Fast. Far. Don't ever look back.

But you still may be kicking this around in your head, so if you are, just answer this to yourself in heartfelt honesty:

What would you tell your son/daughter to do if THEY came to you with the same question?

That's your answer.

Sorry so harsh, but I really would hate to see you come back here with a 'married to an alcoholic' post.

PEACE!
Old 06-14-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kimmieh View Post
Good point.

When I broke up with my ex, I told him I would consider getting back together if has one year sober. He did go into rehab, but has relapsed since. I have moved on and like I said, would not go down that road again.
When I split with my XA 5 years ago I told him 1 year sober would get him a date to Tahiti his treat. I figured sobriety and saving money were two huge obstacles requiring authentic sobriety. He got sober for short stints to rest his liver but remains a chronic relapsed.

My wedding dress still has tags on it and today just as 5 years ago he is not marriage material, nor relationship material and now is permanently off the Tahiti date list too.

More was revealed....
Old 06-15-2016, 09:08 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

I need extra motivation today. If things would not have been so messed up, if he would not have chosen alcohol over me, we would have been getting married a month from now. July 16, 2016 was going to be the day he was going to make all my dreams come true. I am emotionally weak and I feel extremely exhausted today.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:21 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

HFC - I say this gently , oh so gently, but if you are waiting on a person (man, whatever) to make all your dreams come true, THAT is the root of your problem/issues. Why don't YOU start making your own dreams come true, and then look for a suitable partner to complement you, not fill you or complete you.

I'd recommend reading Shel Silversteins "The Missing Piece Meets the Big O"....

I know it hurts-reality hurts sometimes-but at least you know....your eyes were opened BEFORE you married-as opposed to many of us here, myself included, that did marry an alcoholic and now have to deal with the ramifications of that decision and it's impacts on kids each in every day. I would not wish that on anyone. You made the right choice.

Hugs.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Btw-the last few years of my marriage, and plenty of sporadic times prior to that during the marriage, were scenes out of horror movies-stuff of nightmares-NOT my dreams coming true. You have saved yourself from a life of pain and misery-trust me on that!!!! Hugs
Old 06-15-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forourgirls View Post
What a great suggestion!

Old 06-15-2016, 09:52 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forourgirls View Post
HFC - I say this gently , oh so gently, but if you are waiting on a person (man, whatever) to make all your dreams come true, THAT is the root of your problem/issues. Why don't YOU start making your own dreams come true, and then look for a suitable partner to complement you, not fill you or complete you.

I know it hurts-reality hurts sometimes-but at least you know....your eyes were opened BEFORE you married-as opposed to many of us here, myself included, that did marry an alcoholic and now have to deal with the ramifications of that decision and it's impacts on kids each in every day. I would not wish that on anyone. You made the right choice.

Hugs.
Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
What a great suggestion!

Forourgirls & FireSprite - Just got teary eyed after reading your posts and watching the video. Thank you for giving me hope and lifting up my spirits. BIG HUGS!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HopingForCure View Post
I need extra motivation today. If things would not have been so messed up, if he would not have chosen alcohol over me, we would have been getting married a month from now. July 16, 2016 was going to be the day he was going to make all my dreams come true. I am emotionally weak and I feel extremely exhausted today.
HFC, that is a fantasy. No one individual can be the entire fulfillment of another person's dreams. I used to do that in my romantic relationships. I'd pin all of my hopes and dreams on another person and be really upset and disappointed when it evaporated in the cold light of reality.
That kind of thinking was my disease. My drug of choice was relationships.

Anyone who chooses drinking over a loving relationship is not capable of being the type of partner you deserve. My ex made the same choices. That is not a reflection of our worth, but rather a sad testament to the power of alcoholism. Some will lose literally everything- family, job, home- and still continue to drink. Their bottom is death.

The best thing I ever did for myself was to go on a long (3 year) dating hiatus and do some serious work on myself through Al Anon and individual counseling. I needed help breaking my pattern. I had to explore why I had chosen someone so broken as my "soul mate" who was going to make all my dreams come true. Take this opportunity to heal yourself. You are worth the effort, I promise.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Holy crap, yes ^^^^^ I've done the same.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

This is the fight for YOUR life to stick to this healthy boundary and NOT allow him to ease on down the road which leads right back to where you left him, only worse. Of course he wants to move in with you, he’s lost his job and is sober 2 weeks (maybe).

An adult loving relationship shouldn’t have to revolve around test results.
I’m betting that you are measuring his love for you by his sobriety. You are probably thinking that if he’s willing to give it up for you he must really love you. If he’s willing to have you call him night and day for test results, he must really love you and want to spend his life with you. This is not love, love is not about forcing submission then measuring that submission.

If you can’t love him unconditionally for who and how he really is – an alcoholic and all that comes with that then you have no business being in a relationship with him.

I’m not trying to be mean I’m sharing from experience.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

^^^ I second this.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:07 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
This is the fight for YOUR life to stick to this healthy boundary and NOT allow him to ease on down the road which leads right back to where you left him, only worse. Of course he wants to move in with you, he’s lost his job and is sober 2 weeks (maybe).

An adult loving relationship shouldn’t have to revolve around test results.
I’m betting that you are measuring his love for you by his sobriety. You are probably thinking that if he’s willing to give it up for you he must really love you. If he’s willing to have you call him night and day for test results, he must really love you and want to spend his life with you. This is not love, love is not about forcing submission then measuring that submission.

If you can’t love him unconditionally for who and how he really is – an alcoholic and all that comes with that then you have no business being in a relationship with him.

I’m not trying to be mean I’m sharing from experience.
Thank you Atalose. Its like you know whats exactly in my heart - I just read one of your posts about how you tried leaving your ex 3 times and each time after you left him, he went to Rehab just to get you back.
Thank you for sharing your stories. You have no idea how much I am learning here...
Old 06-15-2016, 01:14 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

That's the trouble with us drunks once we have achieved two weeks of sobriety we expect and want everything back it truly does not work that way Mountain Man Bob
Old 06-15-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

I know it's hard to hear, but it is such a blessing that this happened BEFORE you married him. Truly. I know that is hard to see right now, but I promise it's true.

We are here for you, and sending many hugs and lots of love!
Old 06-15-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I know it's hard to hear, but it is such a blessing that this happened BEFORE you married him. Truly. I know that is hard to see right now, but I promise it's true.

We are here for you, and sending many hugs and lots of love!
Thank you! I don't get much support from my family but its like I found a new family here. People who truly get me. People who I can vent to. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

SR truly is family. We are always here for you, don't ever forget that!!
Old 06-15-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

^ absolutely! The best family I've ever had
Old 06-15-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Even after I made a firm decision to sober up, I knew that it would take much time for me to prove myself worthy of her love again. For a drunk such as myself had put the family, neighbors and courts through much turmoil.

Actions speak louder than words and I knew that meant correct sober actions from then on. If the wife wished to jump aboard somewhere down the road that would be entirely up to her and in her time (only).

MM
Old 06-17-2016, 10:41 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Interesting thread. Having been married to one for 18 years and then with a recovering one who relapsed the day we moved in together, I'm a resounding NO.

If a firm recovery path isn't already in place for years, no way. Even then I'd rather avoid it.

That said, I met a guy this week who I really clicked with. The topic of drinking came up and he said he didn't drink. That's a flag for me, so I asked why...he's a recovering alcoholic, in AA with great friends there, sober 15 years.

I'm intrigued by his long term sobriety, and I love the self-awareness and genuineness that AA and Alanon can give you when you do the hard work...but I imagine him being more of a friend than anything else. That may be because I don't have the desire to be in a relationship at all right now, I'm not sure. I know my heart can't take another A, that's for sure. I just posted this because I realized it's a MUCH different discussion with years of life-changing recovery in place. But that's definitely a prerequisite. Not one year, but several.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:06 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Would you marry an alcoholic?

No, because I don't drink.
Plus, the overwhelming possibility of a drama filled life is not a rewarding one.
MB